Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What do folks think of the new One XL GPS from TomTom?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Will a high res 4.3 inch screen and some additional new features temp you?

http://www.tomtom.com
Old Apr 17, 2007, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It makes sense for TomTom, now they only need to source from one display manufacturer. But the price is not as interesting as the current models, they are quoting a $399 retail price, which is the same price as the current GO510 which has the same display with many more features. Some vendors have been selling the top model (the 910) for as low as $449.

That said; it will be hard for Garmin to compete with this, their current cheapest widescreen unit is a whopping $700.

If the XL were to drop to the $325 mark it would be a very interesting device.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:36 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by ScottC
That said; it will be hard for Garmin to compete with this, their current cheapest widescreen unit is a whopping $700.
Which has been out for months, comes with bluetooth and an fm modulator and the traffic receiver and can be had for closer to $600. And, you get a live person on the phone for all tiers of support .

Fair and balanced and all that.

That said, this will cause Garmin to either change the price point if the Nuvi 6xx units.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Which has been out for months, comes with bluetooth and an fm modulator and the traffic receiver and can be had for closer to $600. And, you get a live person on the phone for all tiers of support .

Fair and balanced and all that.

That said, this will cause Garmin to either change the price point if the Nuvi 6xx units.
Good point. But when a $450 GO910 also comes with Bluetooth, traffic and even an optional ipod interface, the Garmin sure looks expensive.

Plus, when have you ever had to call a GPS company for support? Not me

We recently got a Garmin nuvi 350 and although the maps are awesome, the rest pretty much sucks. It is miles behind what a TomTom can do.

Garmin has a long, long way to go.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:17 pm

We got the Garmin Nuvi 660 not too long ago and sent it back. At nearly $800 it was mighty expensive. I ended up getting the Garmin / Kenwood G510 and plugged that into my car's flip up LCD instead. It's basically the same interface, though I lose the portability.

I think for a much lower price, I can live with a small screen and fewer bells & whistles. These things change so fast we end up getting a new one every year or so and giving our old ones to relatives.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
It makes sense for TomTom, now they only need to source from one display manufacturer. But the price is not as interesting as the current models, they are quoting a $399 retail price, which is the same price as the current GO510 which has the same display with many more features. Some vendors have been selling the top model (the 910) for as low as $449.
I think the XL has a slightly larger screen than the 510 (same res though) ...but less RAM and slower CPU. Interesting way of positioning the device...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.