Wiki Posts
Search

Verizon/Vonage lawsuit & future of VOIP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Verizon/Vonage lawsuit & future of VOIP

The recent legal victory by Verizon over Vonage, over infringement of what it claims are fundamental VOIP patents, left the VOIP vendor scurrying for a technical workaround.

Today, however, Vonage admitted that it has no workaround and does not know if one is feasible, leaving analysts to question how long the company can survive.

It appears that the patents are broad enough to allow Verizon to go after other similar mainstream VOIP options like SunRocket, Skype (SkypeIn), etc. If this is the case, how severely does this limit future options of the mainstream consumer VOIP industry?

Could Verizon also go after SIP providers like Vitelity and the niche players that feed service to Asterisk users?
Old Apr 17, 2007, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't read enough on this, but from what I did read, it would seem like any VOIP provider that has a VOIP to POTS gateway is a potential target of this lawsuit.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Now I got to figure out how to port my number out of vonage...
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
Originally Posted by jason8612
Me too, and just after I finished my conversion of work and home numbers to Vonage !
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jason8612
Good luck with that. I've tried to port it out with 2 different providers and failed
Old Apr 23, 2007, 7:11 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA AA-EXP 1MM, HH-Diamond, SPG-Platinum, Hertz-President's Circle
Originally Posted by ScottC
Good luck with that. I've tried to port it out with 2 different providers and failed
I ported my number out of Vonage back to AT&T since I was having issues with my TiVo and alarm system with Vonage. The only problem I have is that Vonage still thinks my number is still with them so anyone with Vonage that calls my number gets a "number is disconnected" message. It is a pain since I have several friends in Asia that use Vonage to call me. I just have them call my cell. I have not been able to get Vonage to fix it.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dAAzedone
I ported my number out of Vonage back to AT&T since I was having issues with my TiVo and alarm system with Vonage. The only problem I have is that Vonage still thinks my number is still with them so anyone with Vonage that calls my number gets a "number is disconnected" message. It is a pain since I have several friends in Asia that use Vonage to call me. I just have them call my cell. I have not been able to get Vonage to fix it.
Was your number originally with ATT? My number was a new one on Vonage and that seems to be the root of the problem.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
Verizon may buy Vonage. I don't think that's a great solution for the consumers, and probably not for Vonage.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by coxta
Verizon may buy Vonage. I don't think that's a great solution for the consumers, and probably not for Vonage.
If Vonage feels like it's a lost cause, a sale to Verizon probably isn't a bad idea for Vonage's shareholders. At some low price, Verizon would eat it up.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AAdvantage, Northwest, Continental
I definitely think it is a horrible idea. I really hope we do not see the end of Vonage. They were a great company. I know so many that use it.

I personally am satisifed with Skype, but Vonage did some really did a great job getting VoIP to the masses.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:57 am

i'm all for vonage and a current customer, but if they blatantly stole patents and information from verizon, thats a huge nightmare and the $$ that they have to come up with will put them under.

If they aren't able to get a longer injunction or a judge on their side, they will have to sell out to a larger company and the other company will absorb their customers and technology. Will probably be a cheap purchase for Verizon/Sprint/etc...
Old Apr 24, 2007, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Originally Posted by newportgambler
If they aren't able to get a longer injunction or a judge on their side, they will have to sell out to a larger company and the other company will absorb their customers and technology. Will probably be a cheap purchase for Verizon/Sprint/etc...
Fortunately, Vonage did win a permanent stay today from the injunction.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Getting customers puts their financial plans slightly back on track, but there is consumer confidence to factor in.... time will fell how that has affected things.

I understand that the patents have extensive prior art, and thus should be invalid. The judge in the case refused to hear arfuments about the patents validity, which was very odd, and the case was unusally swift based on similar trials.

Now that they can sign customers, it is not so doom and gloom, and I am sure they willl find some investors to pony up some cash for legal fees.

Trouble is, they have a lot of investors then, and they are going to want to see a return on their money, so we then come back to selling/merging the company.

I think its only a matter of time before one of the large carriers embraces VOIP, its an inevitable step, best to define the market and bundling, than to be led by the consumers.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 2:26 am

glad to hear that vonage won their case and it'll continue onward in the courts. i signup a lot of small businesses on vonage and being able to refer customers to them still is a huge plus.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's short, relatively accessible though somewhat technical overview of the patents:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...or-reform.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.