Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelpro Warranty - SF

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Travelpro Warranty - SF

I've had a TravelPro platinum series bag for a long time. When I lived in Chicago I got it serviced at Flite Luggage and loved their service. Now that I live in the Bay Area, service is terrible. They used to have a service location in SF that refused to cover anything under warranty or even to call TP to check the warranty. That place is now off the official list, so I took it to a new warranty location in Cupertino. I have a broken handle (which is covered), but they are telling me it may take months to get the part from TP. I've tried contacting TP w/no results so far. Anyone have any suggestions or people they've contacted at TP?

I'm thinking about switching my next rollaboard to B&R since I have one of their big rollers that I love. I'd like Tumi, but I don't see myself forking out $600+ for a 22". I might buy Tumi for a smaller bag later.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
Ask them to send you a loaner bag. then send in your bag for repair.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sithjedi333
Ask them to send you a loaner bag. then send in your bag for repair.
Have you ever gotten a loaner from TravelPro?
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:43 pm

yes. thats why im recommending it.

i think their number is 800-741-7471
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
How does the loaner bag system work? They ship you the loaner bag or you have to pick it up somwhere. You ship it back to them when yours is done repairing?
I have mine repaired last Dec, and now my handle broke again. Can't believe it. Only 4 months in.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I have always just returned the bag, and a NEW one shows up. Indeed, the process takes about two weeks.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:16 pm

they ship you the loaner, and you use the box to ship your bag to them. then they ship you yours back and you ship the loaner back.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:19 pm

btw if youre in nyc look at modern leather goods repair shop. i have had my bags repaired there before and they repair for travelpro, dakota etc under warranty while you wait (about 10 min)
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Does the repair shop on Bush Street (between Van Ness and Polk) no longer handle warranty service? That's a shame because they did a great job repairing the tubes on my Travelpro that wasn't under warranty (before they offered "lifetime") - quite reasonable at $45.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:30 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Does the repair shop on Bush Street (between Van Ness and Polk) no longer handle warranty service? That's a shame because they did a great job repairing the tubes on my Travelpro that wasn't under warranty (before they offered "lifetime") - quite reasonable at $45.
it's called "main luggage"-small store front and hard to spot while driving as the sign is at a funny angle (right side of bush going inbound). i don't know if they still do waranty work but they are a whiz a fixing luggage (and my hockey equipment-heavy duty snaps, buckles and grommets. i have one set of snaps which have been on for over 10 years and not one bit of rust on them ^)
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
A bit OT, but I have a Travelpro suitcase that needs work. It should be under warranty, but the website says they need a "proof of purchase." I might have the UPC somewhere, but I certainly don't have the receipt. How strict are they on this?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I had a tumi bag repaired there under warranty, they did kind of a lousy job. YMMV but they're not on the Travelpro site, so I don't know.

Neither Travelpro nor their repair centers have ever asked me for proof of purchase.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:56 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by sithjedi333
btw if youre in nyc look at modern leather goods repair shop. i have had my bags repaired there before and they repair for travelpro, dakota etc under warranty while you wait (about 10 min)
Thanks. That's the place I got my repair last Dec. They're very good. Last time they didn't have the handle and I'd to leave the bag with them. Plus pay $15 shipping for the bag to be send back to me (no pickup allowed), which took 8 weeks. They never ask for warranty info.

I also called TravelPro 800 number. The lady said she never heard of loaner bag, and didn't have a system for it. She said call the repair store and see if they'll loan me one. Oh well.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:08 pm

yeah you have to be insistent on the loaner bag thing, some of the reps are not familiar with it. try asking for Amy.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
Now that I live in the Bay Area, service is terrible....I have a broken handle (which is covered), but they are telling me it may take months to get the part from TP. I've tried contacting TP w/no results so far. Anyone have any suggestions or people they've contacted at TP?
wow this sounds like I wrote it. Same thing happened to me except I brought it to a shop in Palo Alto. I got the same story about it taking forever. I called up another shop in South San Fran and they told me the same story. I called up Travelpro and they said "Well if we dont' have the parts and we can't get them to the repair shop, what do you expect from us?" Yikes. So I did a quick websearch and got the names of a few of their VP's and sent them letters. I got a call back from <PM me for the name> saying that it would either send the part or send me a loaner or a replacement within a couple of weeks. Nothing happened. I called back 3 weeks later to the VP and he promised again. I then got a call from the person I quoted above saying that I'd either get a part or a near new bag within 2 weeks. Well 2 weeks later around 5pm UPS showed up with a new bag. No instructions were included and no phone call letting me know what to do. So I now have a brand new bag and the old broken bag that I'll probably get fixed if I can ever get a new handle.

Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
I'm thinking about switching my next rollaboard to B&R since I have one of their big rollers that I love.
In the mean time I had bought a B&R bag. I've very happy with it and glad I bought it. The only bad things are it won't fit wheels in first on UA Airbus' and I wish there was a small outside pocket to keep spare change and plane tickets but I'll happily live without it as long as I don't have to live out of a Travelpro.

PM me if you want any additional info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.