Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Travelpro Warranty - SF

Travelpro Warranty - SF

Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
My experience is similar to that of 12172003. Bought a TravelPro Walkabout Lite by my wife, the nicely-designed wheel housing was damaged on the first outing. Said wheel housing comes out with the turn of a machine screw, and I can identify it on the website as part P6412i-01. Excellent, I thought, I will just phone for a replacement. Wrong.

Multiple calls to TravelPro confirm that they refuse to sell a part that they identify and call out in the packaged material that came with the bag "Retail Price - $1.00) and list on their website as well. Further, they will not identify what repair sites will work on the bag to replace the housing. They are willing to provide a list of repair shops that I can try.

Seven calls later, I am no wiser. None of the repair shops can guarantee that they will have time to work on my bag, and all suggest that I just get the part from TravelPro.

Back to TravelPro with this information. Customer Serviceperson Janet indicates that if I don't like the bag I bought, I should go and buy a new one. Thanks very much.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Customer Serviceperson Janet indicates that if I don't like the bag I bought, I should go and buy a new one. Thanks very much.
Janet told me the same thing and I took her good advice. I bought a briggs and riley and much happier with it. A few months after the fact, I sent letters to a few of the V.P.'s and after TWO promises, got a brand new bag which is sitting still while I'm happy with the B&R. BTW, I did a websearch for the names of the V.P.'s.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Thumbs up Action!

Originally Posted by 12172003
Janet told me the same thing and I took her good advice. I bought a briggs and riley and much happier with it. A few months after the fact, I sent letters to a few of the V.P.'s and after TWO promises, got a brand new bag which is sitting still while I'm happy with the B&R. BTW, I did a websearch for the names of the V.P.'s.
Well, I was feeling a little guilty about documeting my bad experience, so after posting in anger I followed the FlyerTalk axiom and called back one final time in the hope of getting someone else. And I did - Rolando.

Rolando actually provided me with useful advice, and directed me to a shop that WOULD sell me a part! Hooray Rolando!

Corner Cobbler
901-853-8372
http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=15045888

I talked to Doug, and Doug has identified my part, charged my credit card, and sent me the wheel housing by UPS. Amazing how easy it is when you talk to someone who is interested in customer service and taking the money I am happy to pay anyone who will help me.

So big thanks to Rolando at TravelPro and Doug at Corner Cobbler.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
At least you could find your parts. I have a blue Crew4, and the retractable handle crapped out. Apparently the blue parts are on a loooong backorder, so I'm running around with black handles.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 2:08 pm

Thumbs down

...A few months after the fact, I sent letters to a few of the V.P.'s and after TWO promises, got a brand new bag which is sitting still while I'm happy with the B&R. BTW, I did a websearch for the names of the V.P.'s.
Wow, got a great update on this. Hmmm, I was going to sell this brand new 22" Travelpro Platinum bag to a coworker. I pull it out of the box that it was shipped to me 10 months ago direct from Travelpro. Turns out the zipper is broken!!! It zips properly with one zipper pull but not the other. Travelpro sent me a brand new defective suitcase straight from their offices. Absolutely amazing. Time for some more letters. MY RECOMMENDATION IS TO STAY FAR FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM TRAVELPRO. What a piece of garbage with a warranty that is absolutely worthless. A complete waste of money.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 2:36 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by sithjedi333
btw if youre in nyc look at modern leather goods repair shop. i have had my bags repaired there before and they repair for travelpro, dakota etc under warranty while you wait (about 10 min)
FYI. Modern is now off their warranty store list. I confirmed with the store itself, which means I'll have to pay for the handle that's broken + service fee. See, I just fixed it this April (see my above post). And now it broken for the same reason (once the handle is pushed down, you cannot pull it back up). They don't have a warranty store in NYC anymore.....

I've a Platinum5 Rollaboard. Does anyone have idea how much the pull-up handle is? I'm ready to just give up.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
The 2 repair shops I used to use (Modern in NYC, and the other one near Polk Street in SF) are now off the list.

I won't be buying any more Travelpro products. All luggage breaks eventually, but I need a convenient way to have them repaired.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:41 am

Wow, got a great update on this. Hmmm, I was going to sell this brand new 22" Travelpro Platinum bag to a coworker. I pull it out of the box that it was shipped to me 10 months ago direct from Travelpro. Turns out the zipper is broken!!! It zips properly with one zipper pull but not the other. Travelpro sent me a brand new defective suitcase straight from their offices. Absolutely amazing. Time for some more letters. MY RECOMMENDATION IS TO STAY FAR FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM TRAVELPRO. What a piece of garbage with a warranty that is absolutely worthless. A complete waste of money.
Sept 18th I got an RMA number from Travelpro. I Fed Ex'ed the suitcase to them. Now 2 1/2 weeks later I didn't hear anything. i call up and once again speak to Janet who says the incoming repairs area is so overloaded that my bag sat there untouched for 2 1/2 weeks. And that is why I sent it Fed Ex 2-day? Hmmm, so their repairs department is overloaded. Go figure. I also spoke to a Mary-Ann (a Vice President) because Carlos R. (VP) has left Travelpro. She promptly returned my phone call but the message was garbled. At this stage, if they provided me with a full color paper catalog I'd be surprised and quite satisfied as their bags and definitely their warranty is absolutely worthless.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
...their bags and definitely their warranty is absolutely worthless.
I couldn't agree more. I had gone through a variety of cheap, no-name bags and decided I wanted something that would last. I bought a FlightPro3 22" .
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K Hilton Diamond
I recently sent in two 28" briggs and riley rollers for repair and I can say it usually takes about a month to ship them out, get them fixed and sent back total time. Of course, the lst time I needed repair was over 5 years ago and I've put a couple hundred thousand on them every year.

They simply stand behind their products and cover them for life! I have owned B&R for 10 years and now ALL my luggage, even my toiletry bag, is B&R. They are clearing out their silver solored bags...real cool looking and they can be had rather cheap on Ebay right now...still full warranty for life! That's a company!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 3:09 pm

Update....In my letter to travelpro that I included with my 22" rollerboard I requested a 25" or 26". I stated that I had already replaced the 22" Travelpro with a 22" from Briggs & Riley. Yesterday I got a brand new Platinum 5 25" bag. I'm satisfied with this resolution (Thanks to Mary Ann C)but certainly not happy with their warranty and service and that it required a VP to have Travelpro live up to their warranty. I just hope now that this bag lasts more than one or two trips as others have experienced. I still recommend staying away from Travelpro.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:51 pm

update for ya! I shipped out two suitcases to Briggs and Riley for repair on October 2nd...one just arrived to me last night via UPS fully repaired! That's 17 days including shipping time! That's a company y'all! Don't sleep on B&R!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:09 am

I found this on the Travelpro website:

>How long will it take to repair my product?
>Travelpro/Atlantic’s Authorized Repair Centers are equipped
>to perform most repairs within a two week period from the
>time that we receive the product (or receive authorization
>to commence with non-warranty repair work.)

hmmm,
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:15 am

how long did it actually take from initial ship out to resolution? Well "Numbers" at least you got a B&R now!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
how long did it actually take from initial ship out to resolution? Well "Numbers" at least you got a B&R now!
I'm guessing this was for me. Rough numbers....from the first time I brought the bag in it was 3 months before I contacted a VP at Travelpro. I was promised a replacement bag or a handle within 2 weeks. I got nothing. 4 weeks went by and I contacted the VP again and 2 weeks later I got the replacement bag. So that adds up to about 4 1/2 months and having to contact the VP twice. Then from the time I realized the zipper was broken, after the time they received the bag, I heard nothing for 2 weeks upon I was told that it wasn't even cataloged that they received it due to so receiving so many bags for repair. Then the call to another VP and had the (hopefully) final bag about a week or two later. That adds up to 3 calls to a VP and approximately the promised 2 weeks plus an additional 5 months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.