Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

VPN Setup - Take a look at this if you want easy remote access

Old Mar 16, 07, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Fellow FT,

If you want to setup remote VPN to your computer(s), take a look at LogMeln Hamachi at www.hamachi.cc

It will literally take you 5 minutes to setup your VPN and you can then access your computer from anywhere. The best part is that it is free for most of the features you need. They offer a premium version also.

I've been using this and it quite good.

Just giving back to fellow FT's out there.

^
Old Mar 17, 07, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P, NW GE, HH Diamond, PC Plat
Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 17, 07, 3:05 pm

i've used hamachi for a while and it's great. if you wanna hear a great podcast about it google up security now by steve gibson, does a 40-45 lecture on it. pretty interesting overall
Old Mar 17, 07, 3:10 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

If you are running Windows 2000/XP Professional, no third-party software is required, as you can just use its bult-in VPN server: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...vpn_server.htm
Old Mar 17, 07, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
This works quite well, I have used it for several years on differant implimentations, it is a very nice cross platform solution.

It was recently sold, and since then has been a fee based product, previously it was shareware with no restrictions, I would send the developer some $$ annually though.

I would like to know how they are going to enhance it.

VNC is still free, and cross platform and requires a bit more work and understanding, and once setup, I think is more robust. But, the hamaichi is very nice.
Old Mar 17, 07, 3:13 pm

true and falsch

Originally Posted by KVS View Post
If you are running Windows 2000/XP Professional, no third-party software is required, as you can just use its bult-in VPN server: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...vpn_server.htm
While true, it is free, it is not as easy as hamiachi when using routers on the other end. The router, unless properly configured at the router end, must be port forwarded for RA to work properly, If one only has one computer, then it can be tricked, but it doesn't work out of the gates.

to the credit of haimaichi, they trick the router, or spoof a port forward, so it just works. This is a great benefit when dealing with people remotely, who don't know how to configure their router for PF and RA port fowarding.

Even remote assistance fails often with a router in place, not sure why things like IM to client work fine, but RA and Remote Assistance don't.

MSFT could go a long way at fixing this.
Old Mar 17, 07, 3:30 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
While true, it is free, it is not as easy as hamiachi when using routers on the other end. The router, unless properly configured at the router end, must be port forwarded for RA to work properly, If one only has one computer, then it can be tricked, but it doesn't work out of the gates.

to the credit of haimaichi, they trick the router, or spoof a port forward, so it just works. This is a great benefit when dealing with people remotely, who don't know how to configure their router for PF and RA port fowarding.

Even remote assistance fails often with a router in place, not sure why things like IM to client work fine, but RA and Remote Assistance don't.

MSFT could go a long way at fixing this.
Indeed, both options have its advantages and drawbacks.

Having said that, virtually all consumer-grade routers (when properly configured) support VPN pass-through for 1 user/connection. And yes, as with any other server, this would require the use of port forwarding, when the designated machine is behind the NAT.
Old Mar 17, 07, 5:29 pm

Indeed, however the hamaichi product manages this virtual network, with the user having to setup PF on the router, which can be a god send when dealing with non techno people on the other end of the line.
Old Mar 17, 07, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Setup is what it is all about

Unless you are wanting to get involved with configuring your router and dealing with the configuration in general, IMO there is no question that Hamachi is just simply the best way to go. Quick and easy. I've tested and used it and bottom line---it just works.

The funny thing I see going on here is the same thing with Microsoft's AntiSpyware program. Users like myself have been using the product before Microsoft bought them out and were disappointed when MS used it as a bait to encourage users to become ligit. with licenses.
Old Mar 17, 07, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Thanks for the information. Super easy to set up and use.
Old Mar 19, 07, 6:33 pm
Moderator, Hertz
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Looks interesting. I have to try this out.
Old Mar 19, 07, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA-Million Miles++, Pan Am, Eastern, Asia Miles, True Blue, IHG Spire, Emirates, APEC & Global Entry
Other VPNs

What do you gurus think about Hotspotvpn and Jiwire?
Thanks--
Old Mar 20, 07, 8:07 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post

What Hamiachi is really doing is using a their server in the mix. Since its both close source and relies on an external service you are not in complete control.
I think its a neat solution, amazingly elegant even. But I'd still rather open some ports and know that what is going on is under my control.

That being said, things like OpenVPN arn't the easiest to setup, so I think as long as you are comfortable with Hamiachi then its a good solution.

The other thing to remember is that (unless they've changed this) you cannot route all your traffic through Hamiachi. In otherwords, it may give you a secure connection back into your network, but as your surfing on the remote box you are still using what ever LAN you are on. To me, the most compelling feature of any VPN solution is the ability to tunnel all of your traffic and (if configured right) effectively remove you from the local LAN. That protects not only your traffic but keeps your computer off the local lan and away from would-be attackers. I guess one option would be to use a good software firewall with Hamiachi, then connect back to a VNC or remote desktop server on your network and surf from there.... but that seems a little slow and kludgy to me.

Last edited by SpaceBass; Mar 20, 07 at 8:12 am
Old Mar 20, 07, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
The only thing Hamachi's servers' do is introduce each side of the connection to each other. It does no relaying of your data at all-UNLESS you purchase the paid version and enable this feature. The free version is just a "phonebook" if you will.

Opening ports to VPN are opening them to the world-all the time. To me, this is an unnecessary risk for not much benefit.

Originally Posted by SpaceBass View Post
What Hamiachi is really doing is using a their server in the mix. Since its both close source and relies on an external service you are not in complete control.
I think its a neat solution, amazingly elegant even. But I'd still rather open some ports and know that what is going on is under my control.

That being said, things like OpenVPN arn't the easiest to setup, so I think as long as you are comfortable with Hamiachi then its a good solution.
Old Mar 20, 07, 9:31 am

Programs: CO - silver, dl plat, spg plat, Marriot plat
For Hamiachi -

Do I have to install something on the PC that I am using to access or would this be something that I would be able to use anywhere in the world to pull something off my home pc?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: