Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New "one phone number" service - GrandCentral.com

Old Mar 14, 07, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus

There was an interesting article in today's NY Times regarding a new service (with both free and paid modes) that will let you give one phone number to everyone and that will find you based on who is calling and what numbers you give it. It sounds interestsing:
If you have only one telephone with one phone number, this column won’t be of any interest to you. Skip to another article, you eccentric you.
But first, count your blessings. Millions of people have more than one phone number these days — home, work, cellular, hotel room, vacation home, yacht — and with great complexity comes great hassle. You have to check multiple answering machines. You miss calls when people try to reach you on your cell when you’re at home (or the other way around). You send around e-mail messages at work that say, “On Thursday from 5 to 8:30, I’ll be on my cell; for the rest of the weekend, call me at home.”

And when you switch your job, cellphone carrier or home city, you have to notify everyone you know that you have new phone numbers.
From now on, whenever somebody dials your new uninumber, all of your phones ring simultaneously, like something out of “The Lawnmower Man.”

No longer will anyone have to track you down by dialing each of your numbers in turn. No longer does it matter if you’re home, at work or on the road. Your new GrandCentral phone number will find you.

As a bonus, all messages now land in a single voice mail box. You can listen to them in any of three ways. First, you can dial in from any phone (a text message arrives on your cellphone to let you know when you have voice mail). If you call in from your cellphone, you don’t even have to enter your password first.
It sounds interesting. Has anyone herer tried it? Since it's free, I signed up. I'd really like to move an existing VOIP number of mine to it, but you can't switch numbers to them just yet...
Old Mar 14, 07, 11:51 pm

i signed up w/ them, pretty cool service overall.
Old Mar 15, 07, 7:54 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Interesting, especially if is stays free.

I've been a Onebox.com user for many years, has similar features but includes unified messaging (find me, follow me, email, voice mail, fax).
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:03 am

Thanks for the heads up on this one. Interesting concept!
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Signup with promo code FatWallet for free $10 outbound call credit
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Wish I'd seen that code before...
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Wish I'd seen that code before...

Go to Fatwallet and PM the CEO of Grandcentral, he'll add the $10 to your account.

Here is the thread:

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/701296/
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
"The Lawnmower Man" reference made me chuckle.

Or is it wrong for me to admit I actually saw that movie?
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
This is a great service, I have used this with my VOIP providor for a while now, and it really does help out, especially when cells don't work well at home.
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Now THAT is cool. I might have to play witht this.
Old Mar 15, 07, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Very interesting....

Thanks for the tip on this and on FatWallet. I signed up with the promo code. Not much time before a flight at the moment but Im looling forward to playing around with it. I now have this number, a Skype in number, 3 cell phones, and office phone and a personal 800 number. Im an absolute sucker for this kind of stuff
Old Mar 15, 07, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Go to Fatwallet and PM the CEO of Grandcentral, he'll add the $10 to your account.

Here is the thread:

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/701296/
I signed in some hours ago. They never replied with the confirmation code I guess they don't like me, my VOIP phone number

Your account has not yet been activated!
Please Activate your account in order to use it.
Look for the email we sent at the email address you used to register and enter the confirmation code below
Anyway, when they can not transfer phone numbers, it's almost useless for me. Next, they don't even have my local area code.
Old Mar 15, 07, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by USAFAN View Post
I signed in some hours ago. They never replied with the confirmation code I guess they don't like me, my VOIP phone number

Anyway, when they can not transfer phone numbers, it's almost useless for me. Next, they don't even have my local area code.
I just created an account, forwarding to my cell phone, with no trouble. Although I used the promo code FatWallet and it didnt seem to do anything. I dont seem to have $10 in my account. I will give it a bit to post and then contact them about it. But I got a confirmation code and after I entered it got a voice mail from them and an email from their accounts office almost immediately. Havent had a chance to use it though. No one has the number to call me. I think I have more phone numbers than friends at this point
Old Mar 15, 07, 1:47 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
I just registered and am incredibly impressed with the potential the service offers. I am about to possibly move, and I could see this being a perfect way to switch to a unified number to handle all incoming calls and track voicemails and contacts in one place.

A couple of concerns would be that as it is in BETA right now, all the premium services are free and eventually you would need to pay for premium service to utilize all the features. I would also worry that if you use it to it's full potential, it would be a real pain in the butt if you ever decided to stop using the service or if you became dissatisfied with price increases etc.

Finally, like many emerging tech companies, looks like a perfect candidate to be swallowed up by a larger telco or other company who wants the technology, meaning you could end up with Yahoo! powered by Grand Central possibly offering a far different product and experience.

Pretty cool though!
Old Mar 15, 07, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Is there any service like this that will forward text messages?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: