Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Suggestion for non-phone small PC for travel

Suggestion for non-phone small PC for travel

Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1ex1K now Prem Plat Life 2MM ; SQ: exPPS
Question Suggestion for non-phone small PC for travel

Sorry if this is duplicated - I have scoured MANY threads .. but not really found what I am looking for.

I would like to NOT have to take my laptop when I travel (now mostly non-business) but would like access to the net thru WiFi.

I don;t want the expense of a nice ultraportable NOR all the crap and compromises with a Smartphone. I just want a small form factor wireless internet device

What I am looking for suggestions on is the following functionality

WiFi 802.11b or g+
Ability to run IE or similar browser
a USB port (mini with adapter OK)
ADEQUATE memory (doesn;t need to be huge but functional) more is better
GOOD battery life (no less than 4 hours preferably MUCH longer)
battery rechargable easily (not AAA)
reasonable display (can be anything from 3" up)
storage - prefer 20Gb+ BUT if USB port supports external drive, less OK

I would LIKE to have

earphones/speaker output
ability to playback MP-3
save and open Office (mainly excel) documents
Acrobat or other pdf reader
Windows Mobile - but not critical

I do NOT need:

phone, 3G,
fancy contact, scheduling, PDA-extras,
bluetooth

for any suggestions or price points/ Does not have to be NEW and state of the art .. FUNCTIONAL and cheaper is better...
Old Jan 7, 2007, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by retrav1K
Sorry if this is duplicated - I have scoured MANY threads .. but not really found what I am looking for.

I would like to NOT have to take my laptop when I travel (now mostly non-business) but would like access to the net thru WiFi.

I don;t want the expense of a nice ultraportable NOR all the crap and compromises with a Smartphone. I just want a small form factor wireless internet device

What I am looking for suggestions on is the following functionality

WiFi 802.11b or g+
Ability to run IE or similar browser
a USB port (mini with adapter OK)
ADEQUATE memory (doesn;t need to be huge but functional) more is better
GOOD battery life (no less than 4 hours preferably MUCH longer)
battery rechargable easily (not AAA)
reasonable display (can be anything from 3" up)
storage - prefer 20Gb+ BUT if USB port supports external drive, less OK

I would LIKE to have

earphones/speaker output
ability to playback MP-3
save and open Office (mainly excel) documents
Acrobat or other pdf reader
Windows Mobile - but not critical

I do NOT need:

phone, 3G,
fancy contact, scheduling, PDA-extras,
bluetooth

for any suggestions or price points/ Does not have to be NEW and state of the art .. FUNCTIONAL and cheaper is better...
I mean honestly, it seems like a treo 700 type phone would be perfect for you. what exactly dont you like about them? If not that, and you want something smaller than a regular laptop, it might start getting pricey. You might like the tablet pcs. However, i believe they are a bit more pricey than normal laptops.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 8:19 pm
jab

Programs: EXP AA, PLT Marriott
You can alway look at a UMPC - Ultra Mobile PC.

http://umpc.com/default.aspx
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dell Axim is good on almost all of these factors, except it has no USB capability.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:52 pm

a

Sony.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Doppy
Dell Axim is good on almost all of these factors, except it has no USB capability.
The storage requirement is also a big problem. It tops out at 2 GB via SD card; Axim doesn't support SDHC yet.

retrav1K, Archos 400 30 GB Pocket Media Assistant satisfies all of your requirements and wants, minus Windows Mobile. It's selling for a reasonable US$350 at Amazon.com, and probably less if you do some searching. I can vouch for the reliability of Archos products. Not a famous brand because they don't spend a lot of money on advertising.

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-Pocket-.../dp/B0007LNDU6
Old Jan 8, 2007, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Doppy
...and also nowhere near 20 GB. Instead, try the Archos PMA 430. A reasonable US $350 at Amazon, it has just about everything you want except for Windows Mobile.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I have a Sony UX. Meets most of the criteria listed above. But would probably recommend a TX as the best way to go in the Sony family. Here are my thoughts on the UX:

Pros:
- It runs full Windows XP, so I have all my applications with me. I have MS Office including Visio, full client Lotus Notes (work email), Thunderbird (personal email), Windows Media Player, iTunes, and whatever else I need.
- Size - I love having a laptop the size of my hand. Still need to take the power cord, but it cuts down my travel load considerably.
- The hybernate/come back to life speed is pretty fast.
- Great vibrant screen.
- Has a USB port (and 3 more on the docking station). Easy to plug in my flash drive, usb mouse, or other usb devices.
- I have the optional GPS bluetooth adapter - worked great with Microsoft Autoroute when I went to Europe. I also use my Bluetooth headset with it to use Skype when traveling Internationally.
- Since I have a Sony camera, the built-in memory stick duo slot comes in handy - can offload pictures on the fly.
- 20 GB hard drive (I replicate my entire work My Documents).

Cons:
- Not good for long periods of work. The machine does not sit upright, so you have to hold it to use it. Your arms get tired doing anything more than web surfing for a long period of time.
- Needs a dongle for the ethernet cable and external monitor when undocked. The dongle goes in the bottom - eliminating any chance of standing up the machine for long usage in a hotel room.
- The keyboard is bigger than a Treo or Blackberry, but harder to use. That is partly because the keys are not raised (so the screen can close over it) - but also that I am a fast thumb typer (the UX keyboard is to big for thumbs but too small for regular typing)
- Came with a Cingular EDGE modem. EDGE sucks - I think EDGE on the UX actually runs slower than it does on my Blackberry 8700. It would be awesome if I had my Verizon EVDO back and connected to it.
- Volume - make sure you have amplified headphones. I download movies via Movielink and they play great on the screen - but the max volume is a few levels too low.
- The firewire (iLink) port is only on the docking station. Not a big deal - unless you have a Gen1 iPod like me (guess it is time to upgrade).

I thought the UX would be great for lightening my travel load, but honestly, I am either on longer trips and need a full keyboard/sit upright on a desk setup or I can get by on my Blackberry for a couple days (especially with EDGE speeds and being able to open office and pdf documents). I can also use remote access software to get back to my desktop from a kiosk if needed for full application access (you could use a similar service like logmein). I think there is still a next generation device bigger than my phone but smaller than a regular laptop that will be the device for me. And the UX gets closer - but not there yet.

FYI - does make a good impression with the TSA when I pull it out for x-ray!

Last edited by dbuckho; Jan 8, 2007 at 2:46 am
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:20 am

dbuckho , I think a Sony UX is overkill for what he wants, much less needs (for instance, he just wants to be able to open Office files from email etc., not actually create a presentation on the go; he doesn't want Bluetooth either). Consequently it's going to cost way too much. Looks like battery life would also be a problem, unless be shelled out more cash for a heavier, extended battery.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:30 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Deleted

Last edited by cpx; Jan 8, 2007 at 11:49 am Reason: inaccurate information
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by cpx
But no WiFi or Browser on Archos
Actually, it does have both; otherwise, it would not be "a small form factor wireless internet device" It does 802.11b and runs an Archos-variant of Opera.

h ttp://www.amazon.com/Archos-Pocket-Media-Assistant-PMA430/dp/B0007LNDU6
(you'll need to get rid of the space)
Old Jan 8, 2007, 11:49 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by bluemonq
Actually, it does have both; otherwise, it would not be "a small form factor wireless internet device" It does 802.11b and runs an Archos-variant of Opera.

h ttp://www.amazon.com/Archos-Pocket-Media-Assistant-PMA430/dp/B0007LNDU6
(you'll need to get rid of the space)
Didn't know they came up with that.. thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by bluemonq
dbuckho , I think a Sony UX is overkill for what he wants, much less needs (for instance, he just wants to be able to open Office files from email etc., not actually create a presentation on the go; he doesn't want Bluetooth either). Consequently it's going to cost way too much. Looks like battery life would also be a problem, unless be shelled out more cash for a heavier, extended battery.
I agree - should have quoted jab and #10 in my response - was commenting based on the UMPC recommendation and the link to the UX.

We have an Archos at work. You can actually do some pretty cool custom stuff with it (as it rides on top of Linux). It handles all the video and multimedia needs great. We found some issues on the application side - a little clumsy there. But overall, probably the closest to retrav1k's needs (except for the Windows parts).

There are some rumors of a Sony PSP coming out with a HDD soon (or perhaps the Mylo). That would provide another cool option like the Archos.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1ex1K now Prem Plat Life 2MM ; SQ: exPPS
Thanx for the responses.

I MAY look at scaling back some of my "needs" to lower the price.

I am not interested in spending $700-1500 on a UMPC

If I have to give up disk and use an external USB drive I have already that is fine...

The Archos looks OK but still seems expensive. Worried about bad reviews on Dell X51v battery life ... any updates ?

Older models are OK if cheaper and functional.... thanx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.