Your favourite laptop for travel....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favourite laptop for travel....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
If you're looking seriously at the Fujitsu P7120, be advised that they're likely going to replace it with a new model shortly that contains current single/dual core processors replacing the current Pentium M Ultra Low Voltage offerings. I went from a P7010 to the Asus S6F. I've gotten used to the leather but you MAY be able to find one of the non-leather models out there, they were limited in availability. Lightyears beyond the Fujitsu in performance... and I haven't even replaced the HDD with a 7200 RPM drive yet! Build quality is amazing and it feels very very well built. The Asus W5F is also very nice.

As for the Macbook Pro... I've been carrying ultraportables for years now, I can't imagine travelling with even a 13" notebook!
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
I love my Averatech

Originally Posted by lilazncanadian
I bought the Averatec 1020 ED-2 back in August for 700 CAD +taxes. This came with a free HP all in one and was a great deal as Best Buy Canada was clearing stock.

On initial tests it had a battery life of 3.5 hours with Wireless on and 4 hours with wireless off.

Here is a brief review of it:
http://www.small-laptops.com/averatec-1020/

This was great to carry with me as my only piece of baggage is a backpack most of the time. It's light at 3.6 lbs and a god send to the 9.5 pound Dell Inspiron I used to lug around.

I often sit in lectures next to girl with a Sony Vaio (all decorated pretty with stickers) and she often has to plug it in to charge (about the same size with roughly the same amount of peripherals).

The thing to note about this laptop is that if works better if you smaller fingers and the screen may be shockingly too small for certain people. The hard drive also gets *hot* if on for an extended amount of time.

And Averatec tech support is notorious for being horrible but I would be getting problems fixed on my own anyway.
I entirely agree with you. I bought mine with 1 GB RAM and 100 GB HD for $ 550 after all discounts from BUY.COM. It is really cool and I can afford to take it anywhere.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Great thread. I am also in the market for a work laptop. Same requirements as the OP. Thanks all for your contributions.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:30 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I've had an HP (ex-Compaq) TC1100 (tablet) for a couple years now and like it very much. I'm sure its no longer available but I'd guess there is a replacement. The screen and keep board are a bit small but it is really light. The DVD is external and I haven't used to to watch movies in flight (either rip to HD or now use my iPod)
Old Dec 27, 2006, 1:57 am

ThinkPad here, I have had it now almost 4 years, and yeah it might be a bit havier than most but it can withstand just about anything I put it through.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Another vote for the rugged ThinkPad T series.

Not as small as the X series but small and light enough, and big enough to not feel claustrophobic at the desk.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
I really have a strong feeling that you will love your Lenovo/IBM X series.

It's got real magnesium metal casing (you'll see what I mean, it's not plastic.) and the famous "airbag-like" system to embrace for impact for the hard drive when it detects motion.

Plus.. very sturdy build quality. Not cheap, but definitely reliable if you are carrying it around everywhere like I do. I have a T43, with14.1 inch display, but I wish i had gotten an X cause its much smaller..

Good luck!
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
My work issue Dell D600 has taken it pretty hard the past couple years bouncing around on the road and I haven't had a single issue with it beyond alot of scratches and missing paint. It's not the lightest, the fastest, or the longest lasting but the endurance of it has been very good. I have all the various media bay accessories (battery, dvdrw, fdd, etc) in my backpack with it - the weight doesn't bug me much since I hook my backpack to my rollaboard and it all goes as one unit. Looking at the D620 to replace this just as a matter of technology refresh.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:42 am

Some questions...

Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo... does it matter?
Thinkpad users - do you use the TrackPoint or something else?
X60 users - do you miss having an optical drive (CD-ROM) built in, especially on the road?
X60 vs T60 - any comments on pros / cons of each would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:12 pm

Core Duo vs. Core 2 Duo....

I could go on and on about what's different between them with respect to technical specifications. But in short, Core 2 Duo has what we call faster frontside bus (faster communication with memory modules), greater amount of cache (more space to jot down quick notes for CPU itself, so it doesnt have to write to primary system memory, so it's quicker), etc...

But regarding the level of performance, it only shines with certain programs that actually utilize the new capabilities of the processor. Otherwise it performs same or nearly the same as Core Duo.

I would say, personally, that I would purchase a Core 2 Duo system if the price difference between the two systems, one with Core Duo and the other with Core 2 Duo, is not major. But if you can save a lot of money buying a Core Duo system, go do it. Don't hesitate.

Hope ths helps.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 5:02 pm

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Programs: AA EXP
I got the Sony TX3 a few months back and I'm very happy with it. It's expensive but I figure the use I get out of a laptop means I shouldn't quibble there too much. Light with a great screen I expected. The battery life was an unexpected bonus. I get 6 hours on the standard battery and have an extended battery which gives 12! I'm sure this isn't Sony only but it's huge - reminds me when you stopped having to worry about your mobile phone running flat if you charged it each day.

All that said, I nearly got a tosh or ibm becuase I suspect there's a fair difference in durability & after-sales care.

Far from perfect, and with specific context, but possibly useful... when a no-tech friend asked for laptop advice and sighing wasn't on the cards I replied with this:

The main issues are I think:

- specs (CPU / memory / HD etc.).
- battery life
- weight
- size
- warranty
- style
- cost

Different people care about these to differing degree. Working out how
much you care is the key. I.e. what's min acceptable, what above that
you'd trade off with other areas etc. Get a sense of it then go look at
specs on say laptopshop.co.uk where I've bought my last two Toshibas.

Sorry - this way is time consuming. If you want the 2min version then
just go buy my TX3. I'm happy with it. I got a 2nd battery and 3 year
warranty extension. Making it expensive, but it's pretty light, has a
decent spec and a fab battery life.

Specs
-----
With very few exceptions you'd be hard pressed to pick a laptop that
wasn't "good enough" on spec. One notable exception is the Toshiba R200
which is the new model of my old toshiba (which you may have seen). This
is nice and light but is also old - so the CPU isn't great. I doubt it
would be happy with the new version of Windows coming out next year. May
still be worth going for but one to ponder carefully if so.

For music - I think you're much better off getting a decent pair of
headphones + portable speakers. Both can then also be used with your
ipod/phone/whatever. Laptop sound varies from atrocious to kinda bad.

For the headphones you might seriously consider in-ear isolation
earphones. 50-200 ukp but they'll transform your listening experience
and are especially good on flights (they block out the aircraft drone.

Battery life
------------
Actually, the real problem with the R200 using an older CPU is that it's
battery life is nowhere near as good. I'm super happy with the 6 hours
(12 with the extra battery) I get form my Sony and I assume one would
get similar with most new models from Toshiba/Sony/IBM.

Apart from more efficient laptops, you also get longer battery life with
bigger (heavier) batteries. Or a second battery. I bought a double
capacity battery as I find having a spare useful. (18 hours from them !)

Weight
------
That R200 is 1kg. My new Sony is 1.3kg. "normal" is 2kg. I could never
go back to anything over 1.5Kg but you mac is "normal" so you need to
decide how much of an issue that weight level is.

Size
-----------
Obviously correlated to weight, but not 100%. Smaller means it fits in
bags more easily and *probably* is light -- but it also means that the
screen is smaller and the keyboard may be harder to type on. I'm happy
on small keyboards, and small but high quality screen. Others aren't.

Warranty
--------
You would probably find it enough of a pain to loose your laptop that
you may do what I do with a serious problem - use a different laptop! A
previous model if it still has legs, or buy a new one if not. But you
can pay for next day on-site warranty, and you may still want low hassle
quality warranty handling even if you have a 2nd laptop strategy.

Toshiba has the best warranty service. They are very good in to use
(efficient collection & delivery without charge), it's international by
standard (assuming you get a pro model I think), and they have a
presence in many more countries than Sony. IBM warranties are probably
more or less as good as Toshiba. Sony is UK only, and if you shell out
for the international upgrade it's only major European countries.

Style
-----
Sony's tend to be more stylish - though I rather like _some_ of the
Toshiba and IBMs. Very few laptops really stand-out, but it's all a
matter of personal taste.

I may be being unfair but I sometimes think that Sony take style over
build quality. I'll see with this TX3, but I went through 3 original
VAIOs in three years before my Toshiba which latest the course.

Cost
----
Not sure how much cost is an issue for you - these brands range from
approx. 500-2000. Paying more can mean you don't have to compromise on
the above as much, though there's always some compromise. In my case my
laptop is my most valued personal possession so it would be penny wise,
pound foolish to under-spend.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by kanebear
If you're looking seriously at the Fujitsu P7120, be advised that they're likely going to replace it with a new model shortly that contains current single/dual core processors replacing the current Pentium M Ultra Low Voltage offerings.
It has been revealed as the Fujitsu P7230 and it is not much of a change. It loses the fanless design of the P7120 it seems. Not sure if the HDD on it is 18" of the P7120 or the 2.5" size from the prior P7010.

Personally I think the Panasonic Y5 looks the best bet in existence. I have the W5 and like it but am about to trade up to the Y5 for just a tad more of screen real estate.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by HSaxa
Some questions...

Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo... does it matter?
Thinkpad users - do you use the TrackPoint or something else?
X60 users - do you miss having an optical drive (CD-ROM) built in, especially on the road?
X60 vs T60 - any comments on pros / cons of each would be appreciated.

Thanks
Thanks to Auracon for addressing my first question. I am still very curious to hear some feeback in regards to the X60 and...

- the TrackPoint. I have never used this sort of pointing system. Did it take some time to adapt to it. Should I be concerned?

- do you miss having an optical drive (CD-ROM) built in, especially on the road?

Also, any recommendations on where to buy an X60?

Thanks

Last edited by HSaxa; Dec 31, 2006 at 4:45 pm
Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by aceman
Well, I find myself in a situation where I need a laptop, now to be honest I have enough crap to carry around with me when I travel, everything from digital camera, cell phone, pda/gps, ipod, psp and chargers or any combination thereof.

I recently saw a perfect Sony Vaio with a 10.4 inch screen, but sheesh, its expensive...

I want small and light, it needs WiFi AND a network port (hotel rooms...) and I need a DVD player in it.

What do you use/recommend?
I have owned a Sony TX670P since the week it came out in October, 2005. It has never needed servicing. It has gone through airport X-ray machines numerous times and has been knocked around in my carry-on bag and briefcase plenty of times.

The keyboard seems especially sturdy.

I think this is a very well made unit and my only concern with the one I have (on which this post is being typed) is whether it will be useable with Vista.

For what it is worth, (and I am leaving a separate thread on this), I will never buy a Toshiba again. The service and tech support are horrible.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by HSaxa
Thanks to Auracon for addressing my first question. I am still very curious to hear some feeback in regards to the X60 and...

- the TrackPoint. I have never used this sort of pointing system. Did it take some time to adapt to it. Should I be concerned?

- do you miss having an optical drive (CD-ROM) built in, especially on the road?

Also, any recommendations on where to buy an X60?

Thanks
You know, I NEVER ever thought i would use TrackPoint. And you know, a lot of people don't use it to my knowledge. But, the unthinkable happened! Being a total lazy bum I am at times, I realized that.. just to minimize movement of my hands, I somehow was using it all the time. It's great, you get a set of different "nipples" (the trackpoint rubber thing) to choose from, and its great because it not only lets you move the mouse pointer on the screen without actually dragging it on the touchpad and it also recognize the amount of force you are applying to it so it changes speed if you push it hard in a direction. In fact, I just used it to drag this writing form bar down lol. You'll get used to it in no time. Just try it, and if you dont like it, well, that's not possible

I own a T43 which comes with an internal DVD-RW drive. My good buddy has a X60 and I asked him and he says "how much do I really use that drive, i mean really." He says he'd choose mobility over having to carry extra mass that is mostly not in use... (so if you are not gonna use it extensively, this shouldn't be a problem. You could take it with you easily as an extension whenever you realize you need one.)

I bought mine directly from IBM.com (when it was still IBM) with an employee discount link that was given from a friend... who now unfortunately is working for somewhere else now. But you should definitely try to find a hookup because the discount is GREAT. (my top-of-the-line T43 was priced @ 2300 dollars at the time but i got it for like 1300 incl tax!) Also you might wanna wait for a promo - they just had the holiday promo that was really nice, but Im not sure when they're doing something like that again...

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.