Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Getting pix from RAZR V3 to PC......advice appreciated

Old Nov 21, 06, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

This is my first camera phone and I just started trying to figure out how to get the pix off of it and downloaded to the PC. I 'thought' it'd be a snap....I had ordered a USB cable from eBay and thought that was all it'd take. But....no We got the phones brand new from Cingular but no cables/software were included. I took a couple dozen photos that I wanted to get from the RAZR to the laptop. We don't use the phone for email or IM'g. Anyway, I've tried Google + searching FT... My husband thinks we have to purchase a $40 software package to get this accomplished and I'm hoping he's wrong Thanks for any advice
Old Nov 21, 06, 7:01 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
You don't need to purchase anything.
Download the drivers and read the directions for installing/using them.

You will also need a program called p2kman to get the pix off of the phone. Go to http://www.motomodders.net, sign up/register (must do this), go to the download section (on top of your screen), on top select the "downloads menu" >Software>p2k software. The first thing thing in the list is "P2KManager Build 27.07.2004" Download and run it. You should be able to access your phone using that program.

Another program which may be of use is MobileEdit Lite.
Old Nov 21, 06, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Well, the above way is certainly a good way to do it but it's awfully complicated.

As for the cable, I think it's a Moto proprietary one. Do you already have that?

For the software, an easy way is to purchase Motorola Phone Tools. I thought it would be free on their website but I can't find it. The CD came with my v3i but I don't think it came with the standard v3. It makes it very easy to just hook up the phone to your computer to get photos off of it. It also does lots of other useful/fun things, like creating ring tones from your mp3s, helping you manage your contacts/calendar (including syncing with Outlook). I'm sure you could buy it on eBay for less than you'd pay buying it from Motorola.

Directly from Motorola:

Motorola PhoneTools with Cable - $39.99

Motorola PhoneTools without Cable - $29.99

This makes it much, much simpler than the previous poster's suggestion, but if you're tech savvy and comfortable with it then it'll work fine.
Old Nov 21, 06, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the VERY USEFUL info. Will review with DH and see if he wants to go the long or short road
Old Nov 21, 06, 9:11 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
I've temporarily turned on the bluetooth feature on my RAZR to transfer photos to and from other bluetooth devices. Perhaps a bluetooth adapter for your PC might do the trick.
Old Nov 21, 06, 9:28 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Duh, I should've clicked on the links first
Old Nov 30, 06, 6:25 pm
ob1

Programs: United GS
I am pretty sure you can get MPT v1.1 on the web - you do nto need a special cable - it is a standard USB-USB (one end is a mini USB) cable to plug it in.
MotoModders has all the links and can get you to the right software or you can pay the money and by MPT
Old Nov 30, 06, 9:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
The cable is, indeed, a standard Mini USB cable. You'll find one at your nearest 'dollar store'.

You should try using Bluetooth. If you have Cingular or T-Mobile, you won't have any problems transferring pix using BT, although pairing the phone w/ the comp can be a pain.
Old Dec 1, 06, 10:36 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Easier to use than P2K Manager is Motorola Explorer, which is a simple Windows-like Explorer interface.

Scroll down here for the download location at Motomodders.

Moto Phone Tools has never been free. It either comes included with your phone, or you have to buy it. If you find it free on the 'net, it's pirated.
Old Dec 3, 06, 6:59 pm

Email it to yourself!
Old Dec 3, 06, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JeremyG5 View Post
Email it to yourself!
Guess that will be a last resort to fall back on -- but I've never used the phone for email and don't really wanna have to send 30+ msgs. Thanks tho...
Old Dec 3, 06, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by tlglenn View Post
I've temporarily turned on the bluetooth feature on my RAZR to transfer photos to and from other bluetooth devices. Perhaps a bluetooth adapter for your PC might do the trick.
This could do it too.
Old Dec 3, 06, 9:25 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Yes Bluetooth definitely works, assuming your PC has Bluetooth. Nothing extra to buy.

Just turn on Bluetooth on the phone and enable the "Find Me" setting (make Bluetooth "discoverable") on the phone. In your PC (assuming a PC) in "My Bluetooth Places" choose "View devices in range", find the phone, "pair" to it (should be a one-time thing and you can choose your own PIN).

Once the phone is paired and shows in "View Devices in range", select the phone. You should see "OBEX file transfer" - double-click on that, and you'll see three folders named "audio", "video", and "picture". Your pictures taken with the phone's camera will be in the "picture" folder. Just drag to move (or drag+Cntl-C to copy) the picture to wherever you want it on your PC.

Conversely, if you want to push a picture onto the phone, just drag it from "My Pictures" or wherever you have it into that "pictures" folder and then you can use it for wallpaper on the RAZR.

I just got an unlocked RAZR in London a few weeks ago and am using it on Cingular (AT&T Wireless/"Cingular Blue" side of Cingular) doing exactly that. No need to use a cable, no need to send it as a MMS (Multimedia Message Service) message with the cost involved (50 cents/message I believe). Works fine.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: