Wiki Posts
Search

Help on my next PDA phone

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Help on my next PDA phone

My friend and I currently have a Treo 650. Looking to change. It feels too big compared to the newer phones and I don't like the e-mail program and navigation for e-mails.

Looking at:

HTC S620/Dopod C720w - everything looks great but my friend doesn't like MS OS.

New Treo Palm OS - when is it out? Does it have wifi?

Blackberry Pearl 8100 - how is the interface? calendar function?

Our main requirements are:
- good e-mail program. Can always get Blackberry connect for non-blackberry devices.
- Easy to use calendar function. Sync with MS Outlook or Lotus Notes calendar and contacts.

Any suggestions on the 3 devices above (actually 2 since HTC is probably out) or anything else?
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Nokia E61.

I absolutely love mine
Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:28 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Nokia E61.

Oops do I hear an echo?

Old Nov 20, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA General Member
I'm quite enamored with my Blackberry Pearl.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
Nokia E61.

I absolutely love mine
do you know how the speed compares to the HTC? is it slower or faster? most to my friend and i is how fast it is to access SMS and contacts and other applications.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by bagold
do you know how the speed compares to the HTC? is it slower or faster? most to my friend and i is how fast it is to access SMS and contacts and other applications.
It KILLS the HTC for speed of access to contacts etc. I was very pleased to hand back an i-mate K-JAM (made by HTC) and start using the Nokia.

I shudder everytime I think how poor Windows mobile is when combined with a 'phone...
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I am testing out the Samsung BlackJack right now. I really like it so far. Super thin and light, runs on Windows Mobile, the best audio quality I've ever had on any cell phone period (and by a long shot -- even on the low volume settings people are very loud and clear), and runs on 3G with Cingular. Great for email. I'd say the only downside I've come across thus far is the difficulty of getting used to typing on the little keys, but it's a full QWERTY keyboard and, IMO, much better than typing on a non-QWERTY keyboard even if the keys were bigger.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by willyroo
It KILLS the HTC for speed of access to contacts etc. I was very pleased to hand back an i-mate K-JAM (made by HTC) and start using the Nokia.

I shudder everytime I think how poor Windows mobile is when combined with a 'phone...
K-Jam is a 2 year old phone running on a slow 200MHz chip without 3G. The current generation devices blows the Nokia out of the water, has far more apps and IMHO better hardware. But that is just my personal opinion. I really like a camera in my device, so the E61 just doesn't do it for me.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ScottC
K-Jam is a 2 year old phone running on a slow 200MHz chip without 3G. The current generation devices blows the Nokia out of the water, has far more apps and IMHO better hardware. But that is just my personal opinion. I really like a camera in my device, so the E61 just doesn't do it for me.
I have the current device, an HTC TyTN also. It is pretty stunning. If you want to sync with an Exchange server, and wirelessly do email with an Exchange server, NOTHING beats the Windows Mobile programs. If you are running Blackberry Enterprise Server or some other third party product on the server end its a different story. But not with plain old Exchange.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:14 am

Oops I should have added I tried the O2 XDA Atom as well and my comments about the integration of the OS and the 'phone still stand...but of course YMMW
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:54 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
I am going to have to speak up for the HTC Universal (XDA Exec, Qtek 9000)

Its 3g, has full keyboard and is absolutley superb - especial with exchange, but aslo with gmail - the app at www.gmail.com/app works in the midlet program superbaly - i have it running all day and the boss does not have a clue i am getting my personal email. good battery, beutiful screen and full keyboard - its not small, but its not big eather - i keep it in a side holster on my belt with a Jabra BT800 caller ID Headseat - never have to take it out unless emailing

Jon
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I still don't like the HTC products for one glaring problem - they are a pda first and a phone a far distant second. Not having an easy way to do the most simple task - dialing a number - is a deal killer for me with these units

I am curious about the Palm 650, being thinner, smaller and lighter than previous versions...and the Samsung blackjack looks pretty decent too, but perhaps the screen size is abit small.

Since my focus is on leisure use of the unit - voice calls and internet browsing and not email - not having a camera or other leisure features is also a deal killer which is why I won't get the Nokia.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I still don't like the HTC products for one glaring problem - they are a pda first and a phone a far distant second. Not having an easy way to do the most simple task - dialing a number - is a deal killer for me with these units
Since my focus is on leisure use of the unit - voice calls and internet browsing and not email - not having a camera or other leisure features is also a deal killer which is why I won't get the Nokia.
I got a Tmobile Dash about two weeks ago for $99 after rebate and 1 yr contract. You can get it as low as $49 with 2yr.

I think it's great as phone. Start dialing the numbers and the dialer starts up, no extra clicking around to get to it. Start typing a name and it finds it in the contacts. I think it's a big change from the other HTC devices.

The same day I bought the device I went out and bought a 2GB Micro SD card. I have encoded the last 2 season of Top Gear and other TV shows so I can watch them while in line or on the subway / plane. I use TCPMP for viewing movies and MP3s (freware) and VisualHub for encoding the movies.

TomTom has software to turn the device into a mobile GPS which looks promising from all the reviews I've read.

The camera produced acceptable photos, but I always tend to make level adjustments in Photoshop anyways.

I can also view my Slingbox over the EDGE connection. It's sometimes a bit jerky due to the low bandwidth, but it's viewable when the optimization kicks in and it starts streaming. There is an update coming out soon which should also improve the video quality on the Dash.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:55 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Tummy
I got a Tmobile Dash about two weeks ago for $99 after rebate and 1 yr contract. You can get it as low as $49 with 2yr. ....
I love the Dash - but TMobile's service coverage is unforunately a no-go. If they had the same coverage as Cingular, I would sign up with them in a heartbeat, because I could buy just about any GSM phone from anywhere in the world and it would work.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (HTC TyTN: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) Opera 8.60 [en])

Another to consider is the Treo 750. It seems to be a GSM version of the Treo 700w (which I have). It is Windows Mobile 5 but is easierr to use as a phone than is the TyTN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.