Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Anyone Tried Vista Yet?

Anyone Tried Vista Yet?

Old Nov 16, 06, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Anyone Tried Vista Yet?

With Vista about to go RTM to key partners at the end of the week, has anyone in the tech world had a chance to install and use the new OS? Any comments or feedback
Old Nov 16, 06, 4:26 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by bocastephen
With Vista about to go RTM to key partners at the end of the week, has anyone in the tech world had a chance to install and use the new OS? Any comments or feedback
theres a lot of Vista info out there, including a few threads here on FT.

I'm running vista full time on one system and dual booting on another. Besides the fact that areo is a very pretty interface, I'm not that impressed to be honest.

I'm also not digging to deep below the surface nor am I really pushing either system... Its fairly stable for me but I just cannot find any compelling changes. I know there is a lot of new stuff under the hood...but that kind of stuff has to be proven over time.

So all in all, its not a revolution in how anyone will use a computer but it does bring some security and UI enhancements. I'd but a new computer with Vista (no I wouldnt, I'd buy another Mac) but I'm not sure I'd shell out for the upgrade from XP...at least at this point.
Old Nov 16, 06, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty much the same as the previous poster. Testing it on several machines. When Microsoft works on a new OS for many years and all I can say about it is "pretty", then you know something is wrong.
Old Nov 16, 06, 4:55 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I used it exclusively at home for about two months. For me the standout feature was the improved task-manager that showed which app was accessing the hard drive and how much. That functionality can be had elsewhere though, via 3rd party apps. The desktop switching that shows live images of the apps has been available as a powertoy for years and the Aero interface ain't ever gonna be pretty enough to warrant the sluggishness it causes. If you're doing light office tasks or word processing you won't notice it but intensive SQL queries, high-end games, and large spreadsheets are more sluggish. Even when you turn Aero off, there's STILL a hit although it's not as bad.

As for the added security, UAC was such a pain in the ... I turned it off within a week. Entirely. I believe many users will do the same. If MS wants to see an example of an OS that gets user security right and allows users to run effectively and unobtrusively with reduced permissions they need to look at OS X. Getting root (equivalent of Administrator on XP) is very very difficult. The Admin account on OS X is very limited in comparison yet gives all the flexibility a normal user needs! I hacked root on my first mac and haven't bothered since. I just haven't needed it!

IMO Vista is a stable Windows Me. A bit of window dressing and a pretty new box. MS stripped out WinFS and all the revolutionary stuff and left behind pretty 3D vacuousness. If they really wanted to do something great, they should've started over and made a rock-solid secure modular OS.

Of course, MS won't ever do that as they want to own the world and in their view that involves having WMP tied in to Internet Explorer tied into Outlook Express etc etc. I find this article very enlightening. XP Embedded gets part of the way there but still relies on XP and thus still needs the same patches, service packs, etc and still has the same insecurities.

Last edited by kanebear; Nov 16, 06 at 5:19 pm
Old Nov 16, 06, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
I've been running various versions of Vista since February on one of my work computers and at home since late August. There are good things and bad things, like all new operating systems, and some things that you need to get used to.

Things I like:
  • The new Start menu makes finding programs MUCH easier. Items are alphabetized automatically and do not take up the entire screen as you scroll through them.
  • Internet Explorer 7 is MUCH better than previous versions. I even like it better than Firefox. Tabbed browsing is a great addition, so is the fact you can have multiple pages load when the browser first starts up. Pressing Control-Q displays a thumbnail view of all your web sites that are currently loaded.
  • The new "Aero" graphics are pretty sweet. The "glass" (or opacity) that's added to windows is neat.
  • Stability. I've not had to reboot my work computer since I put an *almost* RTM version of Vista on it. (This is roughly a month now.)
  • Security. With all the new security features built in, including bitlocker (which is important for laptops), it's going to be very hard for a virus or a hacker to attack the computer.
  • Driver support. All my devices that came with the computer (sound card, graphics card, monitor, etc) worked out of the box; no updating of drivers was needed!

Things I don't like:
  • Performance is somewhat slower due to the new features. Adding more memory to my home computer will probably fix this issue as I have no performance problems at work.
  • The Windows Mobile Sync Center doesn't work well with my Samsung i730 SmartPhone. Sure, Outlook contacts, emails, and calendar items sync up great as do my IE Favorites, but Windows Media Player does not sync my music or recognize that I have an extra storage card (2GB) in my phone to store music on. Active Sync on Windows XP worked much better.
  • A downfall to a more secure system is the "This operation requires administator privileges" prompt. You need to give explicit permission to certain requests from programs (accessing restricted files, adding/removing programs, changing certain system settings, etc).

There's a lot of new work that was done "under the hood", if you will. Lots of stuff you won't notice right away but the software developers will be able to take huge advantage of. Two good examples would be Windows Workflow and Windows Communication Foundation. The former allows for developers to easily create workflow / business logic based applications very quickly and simply; the later allows for data to be send back and forth between applications/computers/networks in an almost brain-dead fashion, something that wasn't so easy to do previously.

Is Vista worth the upgrade? That depends on how you view technology. Do you always like the newest gadgets and products available? Then definitely yes! If you're more price conscience, then you might want to wait until you upgrade your computer and get a speedier processor and more RAM, especially if your computer is a few years old.
Old Nov 16, 06, 5:34 pm

Kane as always thats well put. I'd agree with everything you said...including the OS X root thing...did it once and haven't ever had the need since. (Although I cannot tolerate the fact that Ubuntu doesnt have root enabled by default, I can manage just find in OS X)

VT2k - thats a great review...almost makes me not want to hold the whole VT thing against you

(kidding of course)

GO HOOS!
Old Nov 16, 06, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vt2k
Things I like:

The new Start menu makes finding programs MUCH easier. Items are alphabetized automatically and do not take up the entire screen as you scroll through them.
easy to do in XP as well, right click on start, properties, customize, sort.

Internet Explorer 7 is MUCH better than previous versions. I even like it better than Firefox. Tabbed browsing is a great addition, so is the fact you can have multiple pages load when the browser first starts up. Pressing Control-Q displays a thumbnail view of all your web sites that are currently loaded.
Can be installed on XP too.

The new "Aero" graphics are pretty sweet. The "glass" (or opacity) that's added to windows is neat.
Pretty much the only thing people ever mention about Vista....

Stability. I've not had to reboot my work computer since I put an *almost* RTM version of Vista on it. (This is roughly a month now.)
My XP build has been running for years without an unexpected reboot.

Security. With all the new security features built in, including bitlocker (which is important for laptops), it's going to be very hard for a virus or a hacker to attack the computer.
All perfectly possible under XP with some third party apps. Microsoft claimed that you don't even need a virus scanner with it, as it is impossible to get infected. I'm sure somewhere in eastern Europe someone is sitting in their basement working hard on a new virus.

Driver support. All my devices that came with the computer (sound card, graphics card, monitor, etc) worked out of the box; no updating of drivers was needed!
32 bit support is ok at the moment, but there is a massive lack of stable 64bit drivers, for basic things like audio and Bluetooth.
Old Nov 16, 06, 6:56 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

More on Vista here in OMNI:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=vista
Old Nov 16, 06, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Looks like the RTM build is on MSDN today. Anyone know the build number?
Old Nov 16, 06, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Thank you for the information. With 768MB of RAM on my 64bit AMD, it looks like I will need to upgrade to at least 1.5GB to prevent Vista from dragging.

I haven't done a thing to my laptop for about two years and I'm seeing alot of annoyances come up, so my plan was to buy a new 7200rpm disk drive (my 60GB is almost maxed out) and put in a 1GB memory chip to replace the 256 chip.

My options were to rebuild with XP or Vista...since i can get Vista at no cost, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to inherit a bunch of problems - like existing software not working. I will probably give it a try after I get the new hardware just to see how it drives.
Old Nov 17, 06, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by skofarrell
Looks like the RTM build is on MSDN today. Anyone know the build number?
Old Nov 17, 06, 11:38 am

Thank you for the information. With 768MB of RAM on my 64bit AMD, it looks like I will need to upgrade to at least 1.5GB to prevent Vista from dragging.
Not a bad idea. My work PC is a dual-proc Xeon with 1GB of RAM. It's pretty darn speedy. My home PC is a Pentium D with 1GB of RAM and is notably slower, but it could be from the graphics card and not necessarily the processor / ram.

I haven't done a thing to my laptop for about two years and I'm seeing alot of annoyances come up, so my plan was to buy a new 7200rpm disk drive (my 60GB is almost maxed out) and put in a 1GB memory chip to replace the 256 chip.
Laptop's are a bit trickier. Toshiba has done some funky things to their hardware and the driver support isn't as good for those machines as others. Also, if you have an older laptop ... I would stick with XP instead of Vista.

My options were to rebuild with XP or Vista...since i can get Vista at no cost, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to inherit a bunch of problems - like existing software not working. I will probably give it a try after I get the new hardware just to see how it drives.
I've not run into any problems with software not working on Vista that did with XP. I'm not a big gamer, so I can't talk about that realm.
Old Nov 17, 06, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
VT2k - thats a great review...almost makes me not want to hold the whole VT thing against you

(kidding of course)

GO HOOS!
Hehehe. We can get into that whole "UVA/Tech which school is better" topic on another thread. But I will say that going to school for computer science (as I did), I have no qualms about saying Tech's the better school

You're welcome for the review. If you have any specific issues / questions with / about Vista, feel free to ask. It's a pretty solid product, probably the best for a new OS release that Microsoft has ever released.

PS: Sorry about the consecutive posts ... it's just easier to reply back to the thread that way when you want to quote!
Old Nov 17, 06, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by vt2k
Hehehe. We can get into that whole "UVA/Tech which school is better" topic on another thread. But I will say that going to school for computer science (as I did), I have no qualms about saying Tech's the better school

You're welcome for the review. If you have any specific issues / questions with / about Vista, feel free to ask. It's a pretty solid product, probably the best for a new OS release that Microsoft has ever released.

PS: Sorry about the consecutive posts ... it's just easier to reply back to the thread that way when you want to quote!
The irony is that I almost went to tech for comp sci, went to a smaller school in VA instead and ended up dropping Comp Sci for a double major in history and english... but you are right, VT has a great program.

In regards to vista, Steve Gibson (say what you want about him) ragged it on this week's Security Now. He went on and on about how slow it was. I have to say that I think the performance, even with areo, was pretty good on my dual 1.6 laptop (with 4gb of ram mind you).
Old Nov 17, 06, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
In regards to vista, Steve Gibson (say what you want about him) ragged it on this week's Security Now. He went on and on about how slow it was. I have to say that I think the performance, even with areo, was pretty good on my dual 1.6 laptop (with 4gb of ram mind you).
There those in the media that are going to love, hate, and be neutral on the new version. It's the way things go. Just like Zune. People keep comparing it to the iPod saying it's missing this feature or that and saying the DRM limitation of 3 plays or 3 days for a beamed song pathetic. I keep saying it's a v1.0 product and the fact it won't blue screen is great! :-)

Now I wonder how long it takes before FAs tell us we're not allowed to beam songs to The Social once approved electronic devices are allowed to be used ...

(And about UVA ... if C'ville was closer to a large city (DC maybe), I'd actually be applying to Darden for my MBA...Pamplin is horrible!)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: