Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Microsoft Zune vs. Apple iPod with video? (30GB)

Microsoft Zune vs. Apple iPod with video? (30GB)

Old Nov 6, 06, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lightbulb Microsoft Zune vs. Apple iPod with video? (30GB)

I've concluded sadly that I must have lost my black 30GB iPod with video, and am looking to buy another MP3 player.

I've been fascinated with the new Microsoft Zune, which is priced also at $249.99 and will be released on November 14, 2006. It boasts a larger screen with an attractive Vista-like interface, and will have wireless capabilities as well as a built-in AM/FM radio.

More information here.

Question is, dare I venture into the non-iPod category of MP3 players?
Old Nov 6, 06, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl Emerald EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A guy I know at Microsoft brought his Zune to a meeting the other day. We were all playing with it. It's definitely bulkier than the iPod, but the interface is wicked, and the WiFi capabilities are interesting. The surface of the Zune feels a little like the rubbery-type substance that coats the lids of ThinkPads.
Old Nov 6, 06, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once they introduce wireless syncing and wifi radio style service I'll get it.

What good is wifi when all I can do is share a track with someone I don't know?
Old Nov 6, 06, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

True, not sure what I'd immediately do with wifi... but I'm most interested in the interface. While I've become used to the iPod interface, I've always felt that it was somwhat, sterile.

With the Zune's new Vista-like customizable and more graphically attractive interface, I think they may have a winner.

I hear there are working demo models now at some Circuit City stores. Maybe I'll stop by one and check it out.
Old Nov 6, 06, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/2.0.4719/1378; en; U; ssr))

will the Zune have the capability to modify registry to one's liking? If so, that would be a huge plus
Old Nov 6, 06, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I dunno, I think I like the looks of my iPod better. It's true that the screen on the Zune looks bigger and nicer but I have the feeling iPod will put out something snazzy to be more competitive shortly.

If I did switch to a Zune, would all the music I've purchased from iTunes be able to be played on the Zune?
Old Nov 7, 06, 12:30 am

Programs: AS 75K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Microsoft's wouldn't be the first MP3 player to be cheaper, slicker, fancier, more feature-laden, or just outright better than Apple's Ipods. Still, the Ipod reigns!

I predict that the Zune will sell poorly and that Microsoft will kill it in a year or two, leaving it an unsupported orphan like their other many failures.

(And if I'm wrong, anybody know how far back I can edit my posts? )
Old Nov 7, 06, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Anybody know anything or hear anything about the rumored "true video" iPod that will supposedly use the entire surface for the screen, with a touch-screen interface? If it's real, it'll leave everyone trying to catch up again. Gotta know if it will be here for the holidays!
Old Nov 7, 06, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
Anybody know anything or hear anything about the rumored "true video" iPod that will supposedly use the entire surface for the screen, with a touch-screen interface? If it's real, it'll leave everyone trying to catch up again. Gotta know if it will be here for the holidays!
Oooh, now that would give me enough reason to hold off on any purchasing decision!

Any Apple iPod enthusiast forums that may have more information on this rumor?
Old Nov 8, 06, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Oooh, now that would give me enough reason to hold off on any purchasing decision!

Several of them do, including some that discuss a patent for a touch-screen interface (with photos of the diagrams in the patent application). That lets them use the whole surface for a display. Apparently the bezel around the screen will be touch-sensitive as well, presumably for things like volume control. The big thing I have trouble getting a good reading on is whether or not it will be here in time for the holidays. Maybe I'll just give her a "your gift is coming soon" certificate if it's not.
Old Nov 8, 06, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
Several of them do, including some that discuss a patent for a touch-screen interface (with photos of the diagrams in the patent application). That lets them use the whole surface for a display. Apparently the bezel around the screen will be touch-sensitive as well, presumably for things like volume control. The big thing I have trouble getting a good reading on is whether or not it will be here in time for the holidays. Maybe I'll just give her a "your gift is coming soon" certificate if it's not.
I would imagine not. To be competitive for the holidays, a product should be released before Thanksgiving, like the PS3 and Wii (Nov. 17 and 19, IIRC). It would be a tall (but not impossible) order for Apple to get it here in proper quantities in time.
Old Nov 8, 06, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, CO, HH, PP

Also keep in mind that any music you purchased through ITunes won't work on the Zune.
Old Nov 8, 06, 12:46 pm

macrumors.com

the posts get pretty repetetive after awhile though.
Old Nov 8, 06, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
hmm does this mean I should prepare to sell my 1 month old 80GB ipod that I bought to replace my 3G 15gb ipod? crap I hate techonology
Old Nov 10, 06, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
macrumors.com

the posts get pretty repetetive after awhile though.
thinksecret.com is another - less rumor based...in fact apple sued them to find their sources inside the company that were giving the heads up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: