Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

IE7 - How much stuff will installing it screw up?

IE7 - How much stuff will installing it screw up?

Old Nov 2, 06, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Question IE7 - How much stuff will installing it screw up?

Internet Exploder is now being offered up by Microsoft's Windows Update. If I install it how much stuff will it screw up? I'm primarily a Firefox user, but do I use IE when necessary, for example when interacting with Windows Update.
Old Nov 2, 06, 7:51 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Some would say it's a slam dunk upgrade. I disagree. IMO, google IE7 + every program you use regularly and/or is business critical. image your HDD, then do the upgrade. This includes any browser add-ons, etc that we use but don't think about much in the course of a day.

IE7 seems to be pretty well behaved and hasn't broken much in the way of programs and 'pages. Still, in specific cases it's completely rendered some software inoperable and some webpages unviewable. I don't trust MS' 'uninstallability', so proceed with caution. Incidentally, a new user is reporting an issue with FT itself!

Last edited by kanebear; Nov 2, 06 at 9:35 am
Old Nov 2, 06, 8:45 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Originally Posted by kanebear
Incidentally, a new user is reporting an issue with ]FT itself!
The poll placement is screwed up with Mozilla also, so it's evidently a programming issue, not a browser issue.
Old Nov 2, 06, 9:47 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by redburgundy
The poll placement is screwed up with Mozilla also, so it's evidently a programming issue, not a browser issue.
Must be an issue where IE6 bugs were coded around, so more standards compliant browsers choke. They're truly reaping what they've sown.
Old Nov 2, 06, 4:06 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Internet Exploder is now being offered up by Microsoft's Windows Update. If I install it how much stuff will it screw up? I'm primarily a Firefox user, but do I use IE when necessary, for example when interacting with Windows Update.
I've just told Windows Update not to offer me IE7 again.

I too use Firefox and mostly like it just fine. IE I use for the few things that require it.

kanebear has done yeoman work on this and other threads reminding us that being an early adopter of this upgrade can be perilous, and I'm grateful for his diligence in this regard.
Old Nov 2, 06, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold & Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by xyzzy
I'm primarily a Firefox user, but do I use IE when necessary, for example when interacting with Windows Update.
I quite like Firefox2, and only use the 'new and improved' IE7 for Windows Update.
Old Nov 2, 06, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Don't install it until you have to. There is no benefit to you.
Old Nov 2, 06, 8:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've been using it since the first beta and love it. There were many issues in the beta and even the pre release, but any issues I've had with different sites (and never anything on FT), all went away in the release version.

That being said, I did have to uninstall it on one of my work machines, because of those issues, and the uninstall was both simple and clean, and six was back up and working in a few minutes.

I have it on several comptuers, it's not messed up anything at all on them, all my issues were with websites that didn't get along with it.
Old Nov 2, 06, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've been a FF user for sometime, and NS before that, only using IE when I absolutely have to. But I upgraded to IE7 and haven't had a single glitch. In fact, the upgrade brings quite an improvement to the IE family, so much so that I'm a bit disappointed in the FF2 upgrade. Of course, it's easier to make large improvements when you're absolutely terrible, and IE still is my second choice, but it's tolerable now.
Old Nov 2, 06, 9:05 pm

Programs: KF, SPG
So far I like IE7. Layout is nice and has been working without any glitches. Installation was also a breeze.
Old Nov 2, 06, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I'm happy with IE7. I, too, used it during the beta and prerelease versions. I notice some problems with pages but it's definitely less prevalent in the final release. So far the only problem has been terrible formatting on the SQ website.
Old Nov 3, 06, 6:08 am

FF just released a new version. It's fixes many of the little annoying quirks of V1.5.
Old Nov 3, 06, 7:35 am

Programs: United MP
I still like FF, but version 2 occasionally freezes up my computer. IE7 has worked just fine for me, whenever I use it.
Old Nov 3, 06, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Originally Posted by supari
So far I like IE7. Layout is nice and has been working without any glitches. Installation was also a breeze.
I too, like it and havent had any issues with it.
Old Nov 3, 06, 1:01 pm

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
A bit OT, but I guess still related, given we’re discussing new software versions screwing up our machines, so rather than start a new thread………….

What’s the general consensus with Vista vs XP ???

I’m thinking of changing my laptop, but have been told that from Jan ’07 or even as early as mid Dec ’06 PC’s will be shipping with Vista.

Now this makes me somewhat nervous, as XP is really the first windows version that I’ve actually got on with & find stable……being a MAC man at heart, myself & previous Windows had a tumultuous relationship at best.

So I’m really wondering if the XP devil I know, is better than the Vista devil I don’t know & perhaps I should get my laptop pre Vista. I really don’t want to be a guinea pig, de-bugging Vista for MS.

Of course we should not forget the inevitable discounts that might pop up on XP machines in the coming few months.

Any thoughts ………???

Search this Thread
Search Engine: