Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers who don't turn off their devices

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Originally Posted by crowe
Two points on interference.

I've travelled with my cellphone in the trunk of a large car, at least as far from the car radio as you can be from the cockpit of a single aisle airliner. I can still hear significant interference on the radio as the phone searches for a signal - and I don't want that to occur at the moment ATC tell the pilot "immediate hard left for collision avoidance" or something similar.

Secondly as was mentioned above not all of the items that could be influenced are in the cockpit, there are looms of wiring and instrumentation throughout the plane.

Aviation has developed into such a safe method of transport by overengineering safety to a very high degree - this is another example of that.
Although I agree with your second point in theory (yes there can be interference in close proximity), airlines will soon start offering micro-cell service on aircraft with little or non of this concern.

As for your example of interference while the cell phone is in the trunk. The interference was more likely actually between your cell phone in the trunk and your rear speakers (which are also mounted in the trunk of the car).

I'm not saying that if you put your cell phone on top of the GPS unit that it won't interfere, it most likely actually will (try putting any GSM or TDMA phone by a CRT beam monitor for an example), but the effective interference decreases exponentially as you move as little as one foot from the equipment.

Perhaps the rule in fact protects us by keeping pilots from keeping their phones on.... whether intentionally or not.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:24 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
If there truly was a danger do you think they would let fools like us even carry them on board? They would be taken away at the security checkpoint along with the toothpaste.

That said, the PIC has the last word--which usually ties in with company policy.

It’s my understanding that the cell phone requirement is more of an FCC thing than an FAA one. At altitude the cell phone is line of site with multiple, and many, cell towers. It puts a load on the cell providers systems to have your cell phone asking for service from so many towers. So the FCC compensates for the poor design and radiation pattern of the cell providers architecture.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
as a pilot, i frequently use my cell phone while flying. I have never had a problem with interference
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by pointmetothelounge
When we were streaming down the runway in the middle of take off he started talking on the phone again and was sticking his hand in the FA's face to try to keep her from grabbing it.
What was the FA doing standing up while the plane is streaming down the runway? This seems far more dangerous for the FA and other passengers than the phone call. If you want to abort takeoff and arrest the PAX, fine, but don't stand up and wrestle away a phone during takeoff.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
as a pilot, i frequently use my cell phone while flying. I have never had a problem with interference
That seems wrong to me (if even possible)... Then again, i do remember hearing recently of a scandal where pilots were taking tests while flying. And from personal experience I've been invited into the cockpit on an international flight (into JFK) where the captain was in his pajamas, smoking a cigarette and drinking turkish coffee. We were flying over ireland from AMM to JFK in first on our honeymoon, and the pilot was resting in the middle section next to us for a part of the trip, then invited us to check it out...
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by plupup
I agree with chicaloca453 completely. This is what our society has come to - people just break the rules simply because they don't think the rules apply to them or if they think think the rules are stupid. And those people usually turn around and wonder why the next generation behaves so badly and not following any rules. There are so many kids out there that are not following simple rules in school or life because of what they learn from their parents or observe from other adults. It has come to the point that everything is ok if you think it is ok society, and that is really sad.
You obviously don't hang out on the Travel Safety/Security. This thread is unbelievably tame compared to what you see there.

I'm a computer in stand-by; blackberry on, but with the wireless feature turned off; cell phone off person.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm not saying a single phone is bad...but if you think cell phones generate ZERO interference...just set a GSM or iDEN phone down near a speakerphone and wait a few minutes.

Broadly speaking, like the speakerphone buzzing and popping, it hasn't been an issue, but I know of a couple of different pilots that have reported 'oddness' that went away when passengers were asked to turn off devices.

Steve
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:21 pm

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
Wow, 6 pages of electronics discussion and nothing yet about digital cameras.

I am not an engineer, and I don't know specifically how a digital shot (storage to a media device, like an SD or CF card) might interfere with cockpit communication, if at all. But I have used cameras sparingly in the past when there is a particularly awesome view. Never had a FA say to turn it off, but have gotten plenty of withering looks from nearby pax.

Does anyone know whether a digital camera poses a specific risk to aircraft operation? The non-reaction from FA's suggests "no", but it would be good to have further info from those with knowledge of whether the mechanism of writing to a media card in seat 21A is dangerous to avionics up front.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Horizons

I am not an engineer, and I don't know specifically how a digital shot (storage to a media device, like an SD or CF card) might interfere with cockpit communication, if at all. But I have used cameras sparingly in the past when there is a particularly awesome view. Never had a FA say to turn it off, but have gotten plenty of withering looks from nearby pax.

Does anyone know whether a digital camera poses a specific risk to aircraft operation? The non-reaction from FA's suggests "no", but it would be good to have further info from those with knowledge of whether the mechanism of writing to a media card in seat 21A is dangerous to avionics up front.
None what so ever. Not only does it not have any TX/RX capabilities (except for some new wifi digital cameras), but if you remember older cameras... the camera's only job is to open a shutter to expose the light to a film (or CCD).

The only reason they'd ask you to turn off a digicam (aside from security) is from the same nonsense arguement that an LCD screen may interfere with ground or Acraft. comm equipment.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by mwhitted
And the REAL reason is...?
The real reason for the cell phone rule is the one quoted upthread from the FCC -- to prevent screwing up the terrestrial cellphone inter-cell switching mechanism.

The real reason for the other electronics rule, I believe, is to prevent distractions in case you need to evacuate.

I don't understand why there is any debate going on here. Airlines using Boeing Connexion already allow laptops with WiFi, and EasyJet is going to start allowing you to use your cellphone next year. What more proof do people need that there is no danger?!?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by Horizons

Considering that the recent CNBC special on AA had two digital video cameras running continuously in the cockpit, right next to the allegedly delicate nav electronics, I'd say the risk is zero.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by justageek
Considering that the recent CNBC special on AA had two digital video cameras running continuously in the cockpit, right next to the allegedly delicate nav electronics, I'd say the risk is zero.
What they didn't tell you is that they shielded all communications equipment , displays and wiring harnesses that run up and down the plane before filming in order to comply with the rules, and even then the F/A walked into the cockpit and asked that they stow away their giant vid cams for takeoff
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Wow, I didn't realize I was flying with so many electro mechanical engineers.

And Boeing 'proving' there is no interference? Amazing they don't have any vested interest in that do they?

This thread would be more entertaining if each most stated off with something like this:

"I'm a salesman/IT consultant, I have no idea how or why my cell phone or computer actually works, but I'm positive they can't interfere with the sophisticated electronics or an air plane".

Why are they allowed on the planes? Because the risk is low. Why should they be turned off, becuase the risk is not zero.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by deac83
Wow, I didn't realize I was flying with so many electro mechanical engineers.

And Boeing 'proving' there is no interference? Amazing they don't have any vested interest in that do they?

This thread would be more entertaining if each most stated off with something like this:

"I'm a salesman/IT consultant, I have no idea how or why my cell phone or computer actually works, but I'm positive they can't interfere with the sophisticated electronics or an air plane".

Why are they allowed on the planes? Because the risk is low. Why should they be turned off, becuase the risk is not zero.

Which fairly raises the question, sir or madam, what are your qualifications?
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ihdihd
That seems wrong to me (if even possible)... Then again, i do remember hearing recently of a scandal where pilots were taking tests while flying. And from personal experience I've been invited into the cockpit on an international flight (into JFK) where the captain was in his pajamas, smoking a cigarette and drinking turkish coffee. We were flying over ireland from AMM to JFK in first on our honeymoon, and the pilot was resting in the middle section next to us for a part of the trip, then invited us to check it out...
its actually very easy to do other stuff as a private pilot. and if you have anyone else in the plane, they just take the controls and away u talk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.