Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Will anti-virus\pop-up blocker work with any browser?

Old Sep 9, 06, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Here's hoping I got these terms right...... My ISP is with ATT\SBC\Yahoo (I now pay my bill to ATT but SBC and Yahoo are splattered across the paperwork and installation CDs somehow now and in the past)....

I can use Microsoft Internet Explorer to surf, or I can use the ATT\Yahoo toolbar instead (it seems).

My question is, if I use IE, will the anti-virus\spyware\pop-upBlocker et al provided as an ATT\SBC\Yahoo customer work even though I'm not surfing using the ATT\SBC\Yahoo toolbar? (sure hope so as I'm using IE right now)

Thanks in advance as I sure don't want to load those recovery disks for about the 6th time.
Old Sep 9, 06, 8:59 pm

What a confusing question.

Yahoo toolbar, as far as I know, is an IE plugin, isn't it? If you're using something else, I have no idea what it is.

Anti-Virus is a separate program from the web browser. Usually anti-spyware applications are separate from the browser as well, but often have browser plug-ins. Pop-up blocking is now done by the browsers themselves.

My best guess is that if you have an anti-virus program and you have your own anti-spyware program, then you don't need to install or use the ATT/SBC/whatever stuff anyway. If not, then it's up to you, but you shouldn't need to use their application to browse the web to get basic AV protection. If it were me, I'd download either pc-cillin or AVG anti-virus programs (both have free versions, both are very well regarded), download and use Spybot S&D for spyware protection (install the IE plugin), and not use the programs distributed by your ISP. You really don't need a separate pop-up blocker these days.

Also, join the modern world .. download and use firefox as your primary web browser.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 9, 06 at 9:07 pm
Old Sep 10, 06, 1:59 am

Agreed. If you want to disable pop ups and a lot of spyware, Firefox is the way to go. No need to install extra software like the Yahoo toolbar or other silly extra things. Why stay with IE when you know it's a target for spyware, virus, pop ups and all kinds of bad things? Even Opera works much better and safer than IE.

If you really need to open something up in IE (probaby because the website doesn't support Firefox or others), you can still use a Firefox extension that allows you to open that particular page in IE.
Old Sep 11, 06, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you both. First chance to get back to this thread, apologize for the delayed thank you. Seems like its time to check out firefox. By the way, is that a freebie somewhere? Many thanks again.
Old Sep 11, 06, 11:54 am

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
Old Sep 12, 06, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much Maceyr. I'm going to reload my laptop with that. And thank you too LIH Prem for your help on this and other threads
Old Sep 12, 06, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Firefoxing sure is sweet and fast! Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: