Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Any experience with ultra-mini air supply?

Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:32 am
Original Poster

I'm considering the ultra-mini air supply like offered by magellans.com.
http://www.magellans.com/store/Healt...ersEP225?Args=
Strong words from my physician about the recirculated germs and viruses in airplane cabins or even touching that air nozzle after the last person with a runny nose did an adjustment have pushed me into buy column.
I am not usually a germ-a-phobe; I think some challenge is good for to keep a robust immune system, but this product also sounds good for walking around use using in polluted cities.

Surprisingly there's no mention in this column. I am most curious about the warnings at other vendors, such as:
"(Before flying, please check with your airline regarding inflight usage.) "
http://www.skymall.com/webapp/skysto...=&pid=35480861

What would be the reason you couldn't use this inflight once other electronics were OK?
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I thought the air on any given plane replaced roughly every 2 minutes with outside air...?

In any case... that doohicky looks like a complete waste of money, unless you wear a bubble on your head.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:46 am
Original Poster

I don't know. I thought it was recycled, but admit that's an assumption I can't back up.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 3:02 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
Looks like a waste of money to me.
I used to bring hand sanitizer gel on the plane with me, but I guess those days are over (at least for now).
Old Aug 20, 2006, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drtravel
I don't know. I thought it was recycled, but admit that's an assumption I can't back up.

Cabin air is continually replaced with fresh outside air. Many planes also have HEPA filters installed to make it even cleaner.

But any time you have 200-300 in very close proximity to each other for up to 15 hours at a shot, in a low humidity environment, then there are chances to exchange germs. Of course, you can get germs from the person in line in front of you at the grocery store who picks up the plastic pen to sign for their groceries.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
What an absurd waste of money! The device in question doesn't even have a fan. Your breath moves far more air than it does. If it does, in fact, clean the air, there is nothing to guarantees that that air is what you're actually going to be breathing in. Washing your hands a few extra times per day will go a LOT further toward keeping you well than a device like this will. It also costs a lot less Save your money and buy a bar of soap instead.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Aug 22, 2006 at 2:04 pm
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I include one of these with every new or refurbed bridge I sell. Anyone interested in buying a bridge?

MisterNice
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

My original question had more to do with the electronics of this device that might not make it through TSA screening or be allowed on the aircraft. Maybe it's just a lawyer's warning related to not turning on electronics until told it's OK.

I did a few checks on cabin air recirculation/refresh. It may depend on your definition of refresh. Various view are collected at: http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question...7205033AAArfK0
Old Aug 25, 2006, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
I think you could certainly buy one of these for the placebo effect but I can't think of another good reason.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drtravel
My original question had more to do with the electronics of this device that might not make it through TSA screening or be allowed on the aircraft. Maybe it's just a lawyer's warning related to not turning on electronics until told it's OK.

I did a few checks on cabin air recirculation/refresh. It may depend on your definition of refresh. Various view are collected at: http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question...7205033AAArfK0
There are many press releases and also very highly technical papers on aircraft air quality at boeing.com

MisterNice
Old Aug 26, 2006, 4:36 pm

Programs: HH diamond, Hyatt diamond, *wood plat, Delta Diamond 4th yr, SWA A List
alternative solution....

Originally Posted by jeffo
Looks like a waste of money to me.
I used to bring hand sanitizer gel on the plane with me, but I guess those days are over (at least for now).

Why dont you buy the hand wipes in the individual small pouches? I always carry one in my wallet, it does activate some metal detectors at airport, but they always allow it through.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont
I have been using a mini air supply for many years. I purchased the Ultra Mini Mate several years ago. I carry it with me and use it from the time I board the plane until the doors open on arrival. I had a trip to Toronto 8/11-8/14 and used the air supply with no problems. It is in my carry on bag and there have been no questions ever from TSA. On the plane, no one has ever told me to turn it off. I have had FA's ask as they were curious.

I have allergies and traveling made them worse even with a prescription that I take daily. I would arrive with all the allergy symptoms. When I tried the first unit which was larger, I didn't have the symptoms when I traveled. The larger model could be used with an adapter. Many times, I use the air supply in the hotel room and it makes a difference. I put it on the night stand facing my pillow. Without it on, I wake up congested. I replaced it with the smaller mini that works only on a small battery. It is easier to wear and store. If you have ever been in a hotel room and asked the front desk about it. They put a large ionizer in the room to elimate the odors. This is a smaller version that does help.

It also works to eliminate the odors including smoke and fragrances. Sitting at a meeting, I have put it on the table in front of me and it makes a difference. I know many others who have bought an air supply and also had positive results. I still use the larger model when I travel by car which also has a car adapter.

http://www.weinproducts.com/

Last edited by abelscc; Aug 26, 2006 at 9:31 pm
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

abelsc: thanks for some first-hand info! I am familair with the large units used to remove hotel room odors -- they work!

I mentioned the product to a flight attendant last week and she seemed to know what I was talking about; no mention of any special on/off issues.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 6:52 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by MisterNice
I include one of these with every new or refurbed bridge I sell. Anyone interested in buying a bridge?

MisterNice
Do you happen to have one near Brooklyn?

Seriously though, abelscc's positive feedback from experience has me wondering if there is something behind this gadget after all.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Peon
Ditto on really wondering how well these work.

I remember a short writeup on this type of product in Consumer Reports a few years ago. Seem to recall they tested air quality in an enclosed space using the product, and found it to be junk.

If there is one that actually works, I'd be interested in it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.