Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

AT & T migration to Cingular? and Unlocked Blackberry questions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AT & T migration to Cingular? and Unlocked Blackberry questions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question AT & T migration to Cingular? and Unlocked Blackberry questions?

Anyone tell me why I shouldn't? I am getting a BBerry 8700 and they tell me that I have to migrate.
I am weighing this or buying an unlocked one.
Anyone buy one unlocked and from who?
I usually deal with Simoncells.com but they have no Blackberrys.
Please and Thank you,
Jon
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:16 pm

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
Originally Posted by BDLORD
Anyone tell me why I shouldn't? I am getting a BBerry 8700 and they tell me that I have to migrate.
I am weighing this or buying an unlocked one.
Anyone buy one unlocked and from who?
I usually deal with Simoncells.com but they have no Blackberrys.
Please and Thank you,
Jon
If you have a good deal with ATT wireless (they were giving some fantastic deals right before the merger) then you may not want to migrate. For example, our family plan includes 4 phones, incoming text is free (on Cingular it costs even for incoming) and my nights start at 7 pm for free. Plenty of minutes per month included. So if you have a grandfathered plan that is very favorable, you may not want to switch, even if you have to pay more for an unlocked phone without contract. Now if you do not have data included currently, you may be out of luck and have to migrate to Cingular.

Be careful with third party vendors for one reason-- if you terminate your contract, you may not only owe the cellular company a termination fee, but the reseller usually has their own fee.

fuzz
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:44 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Yes you can unlock 'em but without backend support you won't get full functionality. If you want push email etc, you will need to go with a BlackBerry plan and will need the carrier specific hardware. It may be possible to 'flash' an unlocked device and make it carrier specific, but what's the point? If you just want to use it for POP3/IMAP email an unlocked unit work fine.

You MAY not have to migrate if you currently have BB service on your AT&T SIM... in that case you'd need to buy an 8700g outright from Cingular and unlock it (~$75 at gsmphonesource.com) and then configure the settings to work with the legacy AT&T service (which I believe is possible).

IMO it's just a TON of work that's not worth it unless you have a rate plan that's not offered anymore. If you simply want to stay out of contract, it is possible to do this. Purchase the 8700g outright, and tell Cingular you wish to migrate over on a month-to-month basis. The equipment will assuredly cost more than if you sign a contract and the rate plan you need may not be available on a monthly basis.

T-Mobile also sells the 8700 so you may wish to consider porting over to them if you are unhappy with Cingular.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by kanebear
Yes you can unlock 'em but without backend support you won't get full functionality. If you want push email etc, you will need to go with a BlackBerry plan and will need the carrier specific hardware. It may be possible to 'flash' an unlocked device and make it carrier specific, but what's the point? If you just want to use it for POP3/IMAP email an unlocked unit work fine.

You MAY not have to migrate if you currently have BB service on your AT&T SIM... in that case you'd need to buy an 8700g outright from Cingular and unlock it (~$75 at gsmphonesource.com) and then configure the settings to work with the legacy AT&T service (which I believe is possible).

IMO it's just a TON of work that's not worth it unless you have a rate plan that's not offered anymore. If you simply want to stay out of contract, it is possible to do this. Purchase the 8700g outright, and tell Cingular you wish to migrate over on a month-to-month basis. The equipment will assuredly cost more than if you sign a contract and the rate plan you need may not be available on a monthly basis.

T-Mobile also sells the 8700 so you may wish to consider porting over to them if you are unhappy with Cingular.
I actually have a T-Mobile BBerry and am migrating over to my Business AT&T account. They told me in order to do this I need to bring eveything over to Cingular.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I actually have a T-Mobile BBerry and am migrating over to my Business AT&T account. They told me in order to do this I need to bring eveything over to Cingular.
I refuse to migrate simply for the $15 migration fee
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by singal3
I refuse to migrate simply for the $15 migration fee
That would suck
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
That would suck
In addition to there plans, yes.

There currently being sued for the migration issues.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by fuzz
incoming text is free (on Cingular it costs even for incoming) and my nights start at 7 pm for free. Plenty of minutes per month included.
Ah yes, I thought I was the only one .. that's exactly the reason why I'm still with my original AT&T Wireless plan even though the 2-year contract ended ages ago.

Free incoming messages, better cost per minutes, etc .. won't be cancelling this plan for a while ^
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:55 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by smoothtakeoffbumpylanding
Free incoming messages, better cost per minutes, etc .. won't be cancelling this plan for a while ^
Same here. But I keep expecting Cingular to up the ante and force people to switch by announcing that on x date ATT sims will no longer work.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
depends

yes, there are good deals from the ATT plans. I have 1500 minutes NW, NW, free incoming text, which is a biggee for me.

I ported though, and ATT plan to a blackberry about 1.5 years ago though, it was not a problem and I did not have to move it to cingular. I DID have to pay 40$ a month for unlimited data and continue to.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Same here. But I keep expecting Cingular to up the ante and force people to switch by announcing that on x date ATT sims will no longer work.
Ditto from another AT&T user, maybe this lawsuit will help keep them honest and maybe even help us "Blue" users.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.