Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How to change default "send" email on laptop?

Old Jul 8, 06, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

If I’m in a website that has a link to email someone at that company, I click the link, my laptop automatically forwards me to “send” from my SBC email address which is who my paid service is with. If I wish to change my “default send email” from SBC to say an AOL address, how can I do that? Thank you if someone can assist.
Old Jul 8, 06, 9:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Control Panel | Internet Options | Programs | Email ?
Old Jul 8, 06, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which browser? I'll assume its IE: Tools > Internet Options > Programs. Then select the correct email client under "email".
Old Jul 9, 06, 12:14 am

You select the default email address in your email program. Which email program are you using? Knowing that, somebody will be able to tell you how to do it if you can't figure it out.

For example, in thunderbird, you would change your default outgoing server setting to the account you want to use as the default. Go to account settings (from any of your email accounts in t-bird), then select outgoing server on the left hand pane. Outlook and Outlook Express most certainly have a similar setting somewhere.

That said, it's been years since I used AOL and at the time I used it, I'm sure you could only send aol email using their proprietary email program within their software. If that's changed so you can send using smtp or similar standard protocol, it should be easy to set up. If not, it will be harder to set up.

Searching (google) for "aol email setup", I found this: http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/imap/ pretty easily, so maybe you will be able to set it up using any other email program. There were lots of other pertinent hits using that search, so you might start there.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 9, 06 at 12:22 am
Old Jul 9, 06, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you everybody, but....

AOL wasn't an option for the email. Hotmail and Outlook and SBC Yahoo (and others) were available, but AOL wasn't on the list. I do use IE for the browser. Second choice for email is a hotmail address I use on occasion, but do strongly prefer AOL. If I'm still missing something, please advise. If that's all that's available, thank you everybody, especially grateful that 3 posters who I enjoy reading came to assist.
Old Jul 9, 06, 12:48 am

If you read that FAQ I pointed to, it's got the info you need to set up an AOL email account in a standard email program. Which email program are you using?

It sounds like you need to set up a new email account with the info from that FAQ (using your existing aol name and password, I guess). Then if you make that the default account within the email program, it should work the way you want it to.

Basically, in your email program, set up a new imap email account, using the port numbers and servers in the FAQ. The imap server is the incoming mail server. The outgoing mail server is the aol authenticated smtp server listed in the faq, using the port number listed in the faq.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 9, 06 at 12:57 am
Old Jul 9, 06, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First thing to do: DITCH AOL.

Then find a real mail program.
Old Jul 9, 06, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic
First thing to do: DITCH AOL.

Then find a real mail program.
No need for the useless tip. Millions of people rely on AOL for their email. If you don't have any good advice for the OP, then please don't bother responding.
Old Jul 9, 06, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something to keep in mind: It very well might be that you have no choice in the matter, that you must send your e-mail through your ISP's account. Many ISP's are blocking outgoing e-mail unless it's being sent through their server. The thing is most e-mail being sent from home users and not through the ISP is due to malware.
Old Jul 9, 06, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Something to keep in mind: It very well might be that you have no choice in the matter, that you must send your e-mail through your ISP's account. Many ISP's are blocking outgoing e-mail unless it's being sent through their server. The thing is most e-mail being sent from home users and not through the ISP is due to malware.
Any decent email program will allow you to set up multiple outgoing (smtp) accounts. In the preferences/options for each account, you chose the outgoing server for that email account.

If you mean that spoofing the return address won't necessarily work, I agree.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 9, 06 at 4:21 pm
Old Jul 9, 06, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Still working on it....do have the hotmail account set as the new "default" which is a big plus. I'll continue trying to set up the aol, but for now I'm in a much better position than when I started this thread. Thank you very much everybody!
Old Jul 9, 06, 11:35 pm

If you're having difficulties, email me with the details (or post here) and I'll walk you through it. I can easily help with t-bird, mozilla, etc. I'm sure somebody else can help with Outlook and Outlook Express. (I have outlook, I just don't use it.)

-David
Old Jul 10, 06, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Any decent email program will allow you to set up multiple outgoing (smtp) accounts. In the preferences/options for each account, you chose the outgoing server for that email account.

If you mean that spoofing the return address won't necessarily work, I agree.

-David
No, what I mean is that an awful lot of ISP's block access to outgoing mail servers other than their own. There's nothing you can do about it if you're on such an ISP.
Old Jul 14, 06, 11:04 pm
Community Director

How do I set up my computer so that Yahoo is the default email? When I go to the control panel, I have 5 options including hotmail but not Yahoo.

I browse the internet using Firefox.
Old Jul 15, 06, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How do I set up my computer so that Yahoo is the default email? When I go to the control panel, I have 5 options including hotmail but not Yahoo.

I browse the internet using Firefox.
You sign up for for yahoo mail plus that gives you pop and smtp access to yahoo mail. It's not free like the browser-only based yahoo mail. It's $19.99 per year.

http://help.yahoo.com/mail/pop/pop-06.html

hotmail works with OE because it's a microsoft product. I don't know if it's possible to configure OE with their http protocol choice for yahoo mail. A quick google search didn't reveal anything.

For an alternative, pop and smtp access with gmail is free. All you have to do is enable it and follow gmail's instructions for configuring your email client. If you have a gmail account, go to gmail.com, login, click on settings, then click on "forwarding and POP", make your choice there, then click on "configuration instructions" and it will tell you how to configure the email client of your choice. I've been using it for a while now.

As a firefox user, I hope you aren't considering using OE. You should use thunderbird as your email client for all the same reasons you use firefox.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 15, 06 at 9:50 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: