Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Powering a laptop on an aircraft

Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond,

I have only ever used battery power while travelling on an aircraft with my laptop. I have got some long haul flights coming up mainly with Etihad. My power supply is universal voltages and has worked in Europe the far east and the USA OK. I also have an adaptor which allows me to run it form my car.

What cable do I need to power my laptop from an aircraft? Does it vary by airline?

Can anyone give me any advice on what I need to buy?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Using www.seatguru.com you can see which airlines offer in-flight power, and if you need an adapter or not.
For example, on Northwest (some flights), Lufthansa and SAS trans-atlantic flights, you can plug in your power supply without using any special adapters. The power supply must use 70 watts or less, or it won't work.

I looked on the Etihad web page but couldn't find any information about in-flight power. Perhaps they don't offer it.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 4:31 pm

Check the Targus website. They sell converters/adapters and will list your laptop if there is an available device.

Some laptops, like mine, have no available adapter for inflight service. I have an HP Pavilion zv6000.

M8
Old Mar 5, 2006, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vunder31
Using www.seatguru.com you can see which airlines offer in-flight power, and if you need an adapter or not.
For example, on Northwest (some flights), Lufthansa and SAS trans-atlantic flights, you can plug in your power supply without using any special adapters. The power supply must use 70 watts or less, or it won't work.

I looked on the Etihad web page but couldn't find any information about in-flight power. Perhaps they don't offer it.
Thank you for your information. I've checked the aircraft and the majority of my flights are on Etihads new 777 aircraft that have in seat power and fixed and wireless ethernet networks for a fee.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:21 pm

Wow, I had no idea some carriers provided power access- that is great news.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 4:19 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by Travelin Dreams
Wow, I had no idea some carriers provided power access- that is great news.
Many do... check with the carrier though as not all a carrier's aircraft and in some cases not all seats on an equipped aircraft have power.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:09 am
Original Poster

If anyone is travelling on Etihad I have received the following email response:

"The power supply on the B777 and Airbus is the same type. It will accept the North American Standard two or three prongs, or the European two prong connector. The voltage is 110V @ 60Hz (standard US domestic)."

So it looks as though they have covered off most options, other than I will need adaptor to use my UK plug.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 6:19 am

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Check the Targus website. They sell converters/adapters and will list your laptop if there is an available device.

Some laptops, like mine, have no available adapter for inflight service. I have an HP Pavilion zv6000.

M8
I have the same problem with my Dell XPS M170. It needs 130V and I can't get it to work with anything.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by mogulskiir
I have the same problem with my Dell XPS M170. It needs 130V and I can't get it to work with anything.
Mine isn't a power issue. Targus just doesn't make a plug that will fit in to the back of my computer. However, mine is world voltage compatible.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, QF Platinum and Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I use the iGo universal transformer - good for planes (with low or high voltage seat power outlets) cars and home/hotels. One transformer covers my PC, blackberry, and most other electrical items.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by cowombat
I use the iGo universal transformer - good for planes (with low or high voltage seat power outlets) cars and home/hotels. One transformer covers my PC, blackberry, and most other electrical items.
yeah, i use a similar product from sharper image that converts the Empower to a power outlet and then i just plug in my adaptor

but i have a Dell I9300 and last time i used it on BA, it was sucking too much juice and the Empower kept resetting
Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:36 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Anything special about the new MacBook I should know? Travelling on a DL 777 in BE. Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Mine isn't a power issue. Targus just doesn't make a plug that will fit in to the back of my computer. However, mine is world voltage compatible.
wrong, it is a power issue.

That particular model draws way over the max wattage when on a plane. The DC power adapter made by IGo does work in a car, but not on a plane, so don't waste your time buying one. I tried about 4-5 plugs made by different manufacturers and they all worked in a car, but not on a plane. The over wattage requirement shuts the converters off within seconds of plugging in. The most that a plane power source can put out is 75 watts, and the HP draws around 90 or so.

I was able to charge the battery on a plane but the laptop had to be shut down, so basically it defeated the purpose.

I didn't know much about all that stuff until I made a mistake of buying that particular HP, then I learned. There are few power converter companies that must love me by now. I've bought and returned about 5 different ones.

And just to make my point clear, all worked as like advertised when in a car, so it wasn't the converters.

I finally gave up, and decided to buy another laptop.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by andrzej
wrong, it is a power issue.

That particular model draws way over the max wattage when on a plane. The DC power adapter made by IGo does work in a car, but not on a plane, so don't waste your time buying one. I tried about 4-5 plugs made by different manufacturers and they all worked in a car, but not on a plane. The over wattage requirement shuts the converters off within seconds of plugging in. The most that a plane power source can put out is 75 watts, and the HP draws around 90 or so.

I was able to charge the battery on a plane but the laptop had to be shut down, so basically it defeated the purpose.

I didn't know much about all that stuff until I made a mistake of buying that particular HP, then I learned. There are few power converter companies that must love me by now. I've bought and returned about 5 different ones.

And just to make my point clear, all worked as like advertised when in a car, so it wasn't the converters.

I finally gave up, and decided to buy another laptop.

Where you been the last couple of months in answering this?

So what you are saying is that Targus doesn't make the adapter because of the power issue. Rats! Yeppers. I made the same mistake in purchasing the laptop. I was in a hurry and had to get on a plane the next day. Nevertheless, the laptop is pretty good. I'm typing on it now from the HGI Columbus, GA.

Thanks for the info,

M8
Old Jun 16, 2006, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by andrzej
On a recent NRT->LHR trip (BA, WT+), I found the same thing. So I charged my laptop whilst watching a film, then tapped away for half an hour before the next film, when I charged it again. Not ideal, but at least I got a couple of hours use during the flight.

-lhr lh

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.