Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

is it okay to save DVDs rented from Netflix and watch them on planes later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is it okay to save DVDs rented from Netflix and watch them on planes later?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by bobes
maybe a little OT now... but any of you have any opinions on AnyDVD? Does it work well? slow down the puter at all?
I use it to watch my Region 2 DVDs from Japan. I don't notice any issues, but then I have a 3.4Ghz P4 on my lappy.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Airways (*A) Gold, United, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Preferred, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold
This should be a sticky it is asked so often. I do this all of the time with movies I rent. Have also used the Netflixs but renting is better for me. I watch movies on either my laptop or PDA (IPAQ). The following works great.

Here is what I use to break the DVD copy protection: http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

To Copy from DVD to Hard Drive (into DIVX format) http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterV...py_Profile.jsp

To compress for Pocket PC
http://divx.ppccool.com/langue.php?l...850ebbcdceeb4e

Pocket PC movie player
http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about

Laptop movie player. Also good site to learn about the DIVX (avi) format http://www.divx.com/divx/player/
Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
No it is not sadly.
I'm not so sure of that. What the OP is suggesting is a form of time shifting, which long ago was held fair use in Sony v. Universal. The question is complicated by a number of issues. First, the fair use finding in Sony was predicated upon some factual assumptions by the court that have since proven wrong, e.g. no one would build a personal video library of protected expression. Second, the composition of the court has changed, and it's difficult to tell how the present court would come down on this issue. Finally, fair use is an equitable doctrine -- simple application of the four fair use factors codified in the statue will not necessary predict how a distict court judge would decide this issue.

All of that notwithstanding, my personal belief is that it is fair use and, in fact, I do exactly this -- copy rental DVDs to my laptop hard drive to watch on the plane and then delete them afterwards.

You are allowed to make a personal copy of a DVD you OWN,
Absolutely untrue. Nothing in the copyright act authorizes making a personal copy of a DVD. The AHRA, which permits personal copying, applies to recorded music, only.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:25 pm

Aside from Netflix rules, most DVDs are going to be copy-protected. It's my understanding that the mere act of removing this copy protection is illegal under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. (Unless something has changed in the various court cases I don't keep up with.)
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Originally Posted by rrgg
Aside from Netflix rules, most DVDs are going to be copy-protected. It's my understanding that the mere act of removing this copy protection is illegal under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. (Unless something has changed in the various court cases I don't keep up with.)
I'm guessing that any Air Marshals on board will be pre-occupied with more important matters than arresting DVD duplicators.

Legal or not, the chances of getting caught, let alone prosecuted, for copying a Netflix DVD for one-time viewing later are probably less than those of being struck by a meteor.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:40 am

How do some of these sites that offer Ipod ready movies get away with it then?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Time will tell whether they do get away with it.

The one I looked at required you to confirm that you're a legal owner of the DVD (by checking a box). They were selling a "rip your DVD to iPod" service, not the movies themselves (wink, wink).

I think this is similar to the business model that mp3.com tried witout legal success (and they required you to actually insert the CD into the drive to demonstrate ownership).
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by pdhenry
Time will tell whether they do get away with it.

The one I looked at required you to confirm that you're a legal owner of the DVD (by checking a box). They were selling a "rip your DVD to iPod" service, not the movies themselves (wink, wink).

I think this is similar to the business model that mp3.com tried witout legal success (and they required you to actually insert the CD into the drive to demonstrate ownership).

How is that possible to verify? putting in your CD to show that you own the music that you are downloading?

By the way what is the name of that site you are talking about? (curious) (wink wink)
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by nordmann
How is that possible to verify? putting in your CD to show that you own the music that you are downloading?

By the way what is the name of that site you are talking about? (curious) (wink wink)
IIRC, the mp3.com business model was that you would register the CDs that you own (a CD "signature" similar to what CDDB uses) and then you could stream playlists from their website to your PC while you work. The downfall was that you could easily register all of your friends' CDs by borrowing the physical disks for the afternoon. This was pre-Napster, BTW.

The DVD-to-iPod "service" site is http://www.ishowstogo.com/
Don't spend time trying to compress your own movies. Let us do it for you! Download a copy of your movie now, for less than $5!
You don't even have to send in your DVD - you just have to promise that you own it.

If you want them to rip a title that isn't on their site they can do that also, just send the DVD to them. This costs a dollar more.

EDIT: Here's the wikipedia article on the MP3.com service called "my.mp3.com":
My.MP3.com

On January 12, 2000, MP3.com launched the "My.MP3.com" service which enabled users to securely register their personal CDs and then stream digital copies online from the My.MP3.com service. Since consumers could only listen online to music they already proved they owned the company saw this as a great opportunity for revenue by allowing fans to access their own music online. The record industry did not see it that way and sued MP3.com claiming that the service constituted unauthorized duplication and promoted copyright infringement.

Judge Jed S. Rakoff, in the case UMG v. MP3.com, ruled in favor of the record labels against MP3.com and the service on the copyright law provision of "making mechanical copies for commercial use without permission from the copyright owner." Rather than fight on appeal, MP3.com settled with the major labels for more than $200 million and the service was discontinued. This decision turned out to be the beginning of the end of the original MP3.com as the firm, unaware of the impending dot-com bust, no longer had sufficient funds to weather the technology downturn. To add to their woes music publishers, spurred by the success of the record label suits, also sued MP3.com with their own claims of payment due.

Last edited by pdhenry; Apr 10, 2006 at 6:25 pm
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Last year I was on the Amtrak between DC and NY and Jack Valenti was sitting across the aisle and a row back from me. I had some DVDs that I had purchased, not rented, transferred to my PDA for watching while travelling. I was tempted the whole trip to watch one while holding the PDA in the aisle so he could see it. I think the industry are being real jerks about the whole idea of media shifting. I dont support real piracy, but if I buy it or even if I rent it, what business of theirs is it in the final analysis what machine I use to watch it.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MileagePlus
Quite frankly my dear friends, if you've ever gotten a speeding or even a parking ticket, you really shouldn't be worried if copying a DVD is breaking the law.

But since humans are selective creatures that place their own individual importance on what laws are OK to break and what laws aren't OK to break, I will leave the doublestandard to the doublestandardists and try to be helpful.

Buy the damn movie!

I own some 200 movies on DVD. When do I watch them? Whenever I feel like it. What do I watch? Whatever I feel like.
I have this obsession with owning my memories instead of renting them, and while certain movies sometimes are not that memorable, a few gems out there are.
Besides, 200 DVDs, at an average price of 10 dollars a DVD (oooohh how I love BlockBuster's previewed section), spanned over a period of 5 years equals about 500 dollars a year, or about 1 DVD purchase a week and a half, or just 91 cents a day. Hell, I pay more for lunch every day even today that I decided to go to mcdonalds and get me one double cheeseburger for exactly 1.09 (i donated the penny so that doesn't count).
Some people here spend more than 400 a year only on MRs, heck one MR alone may just be that 400 dollars
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DEVIS
Quite frankly my dear friends, if you've ever gotten a speeding or even a parking ticket, you really shouldn't be worried if copying a DVD is breaking the law.

But since humans are selective creatures that place their own individual importance on what laws are OK to break and what laws aren't OK to break, I will leave the doublestandard to the doublestandardists and try to be helpful.

Buy the damn movie!

I own some 200 movies on DVD. When do I watch them? Whenever I feel like it. What do I watch? Whatever I feel like.
I have this obsession with owning my memories instead of renting them, and while certain movies sometimes are not that memorable, a few gems out there are.
Besides, 200 DVDs, at an average price of 10 dollars a DVD (oooohh how I love BlockBuster's previewed section), spanned over a period of 5 years equals about 500 dollars a year, or about 1 DVD purchase a week and a half, or just 91 cents a day. Hell, I pay more for lunch every day even today that I decided to go to mcdonalds and get me one double cheeseburger for exactly 1.09 (i donated the penny so that doesn't count).
Some people here spend more than 400 a year only on MRs, heck one MR alone may just be that 400 dollars
This is a very narrow view, for a couple of reasons.

As a pratical matter, you can watch more movies, longer if they're on the hard drive than if you're playing them off the DVD.

However, as a legal matter, it is not at all certain that copying DVDs to a laptop to watch on the plane is illegal. Fair Use doctrine is certainly implicated, and it is impossible to ignore decisions such as Sony v. Universal, and the various MP3 cases which, on their face, would seem to support a finding of Fair Use. On the other hand, the DMCA is also implicated, as copying the DVD requires using decryption software. The case law is far from clear, but there is at least one which suggests that, though a use may be Fair Use, it is still actionable if it also results in a violation of the DMCA.

As an intellectual property lawyer, I am not prepared to say that copying a DVD to a laptop to view on the plane is violative of law (nor am I prepared to say that it is not). However, I'm certainly not going to agree with your contention that it is clearly illegal.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
decryption

I think the use of decryption software, in essense BREAKING the encryption that a company has put in place, is a violation.

this is at least how the most recent corporate cases went down in California, which resulted in the shutting down of companies involved in delivering solutions that enabled decryption.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by ScottC
The newest player in town: www.vongo.com

Looks very good. Two questions: how much space does an average movie take? It the figure 4.7 a valid maximum for a single movie DVD?

Second, what does Vongo cost? Nothing on their introduction screen mentions that. One has to download their proprietary software first. I'd rather have a bit more info before doing that.

Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Teacher49
Looks very good. Two questions: how much space does an average movie take? It the figure 4.7 a valid maximum for a single movie DVD?

Second, what does Vongo cost? Nothing on their introduction screen mentions that. One has to download their proprietary software first. I'd rather have a bit more info before doing that.

Thanks for any help!
It says in big letters on their main page "$9.99 a month".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.