Search

Wireless power charger for laptops and cell phones

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:01 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Wireless power charger for cell phones

I ran across this new product and found it to be amazing. I wonder if the electromagnetic current generated is safe for hard drives and storage devices. It would seem to me the energy emitted would have to be tremendous. To produce the level of inductance required to charge up a battery then you are going to have a whopping great magnetic field that is going to do some interesting things to any magnetic media (like hard drives) any where close to it. Does anybody have any info on this?

http://www.splashpower.com/

Last edited by MRKEY; Jan 5, 2006 at 3:16 pm
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by MRKEY
I ran across this new product and found it to be amazing. I wonder if the electromagnetic current generated is safe for hard drives and storage devices. It would seem to me the energy emitted would have to be tremendous. Does anybody have any info on this?

nice. i guess it would be interesting to know how it'd work. let engadget do a review on it ;P
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is one of those products that just doesn't seem to make the market. Check their press release page; I first read about their product(s) back in 2002...
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MRKEY
I ran across this new product and found it to be amazing. I wonder if the electromagnetic current generated is safe for hard drives and storage devices. It would seem to me the energy emitted would have to be tremendous. To produce the level of inductance required to charge up a battery then you are going to have a whopping great magnetic field that is going to do some interesting things to any magnetic media (like hard drives) any where close to it. Does anybody have any info on this?

The technology is simple and proven; electric toothbrushes have been using it for years. The problem is that the the device you want to charge has to be suitable for their charging pad; and therein lies their major hurdle...
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
The technology is simple and proven; electric toothbrushes have been using it for years. The problem is that the the device you want to charge has to be suitable for their charging pad; and therein lies their major hurdle...

is that what they use for the new electric kettles too? if it was so great and (not needing all the charging adapters and stuff is definitely a plus when travelling) then why doesn't the whole industry jump on the bandwagon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.