FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Problems with the new Windows Live Mail Beta? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/510545-problems-new-windows-live-mail-beta.html)

doc Jan 4, 2006 6:52 am

Problems with the new Windows Live Mail Beta?

Anyone having problems with the new Windows Live Mail Beta?

As some of you know, I often participate in various beta tests. Frankly, I rarely find problems with MS beta releases.

Yet, FWIW, this morning, I thought the MS Windows Live Mail was just very slow, yet it appears to be somewhat dysfunctional. The inbox is problematic among other things.

Anyone else seeing this pronlem or others?

Thanks.

Mark

nmenaker Jan 4, 2006 8:06 am

seems

seems to work fine for me.
windows open quickly, everything is good.

BruceWG Jan 4, 2006 9:09 am

I've just used it for the past couple of days, and it's has seemed to be reasonable. I don't use hotmail as my "main" account so it's not in constant use, but from casual checking I don't see any problems.

Bruce

sandyweb33 Jan 4, 2006 9:52 am

I've used it for a couple wks now and have had problems on and off mainly with it being slow. What made me go back to regular hotmail is that I have to keep centering the page using the vertical bar!

doc Jan 5, 2006 11:04 am

Originally Posted by sandyweb33
I've used it for a couple wks now and have had problems on and off mainly with it being slow. What made me go back to regular hotmail is that I have to keep centering the page using the vertical bar!

---

Thanks everyone.

For me, it's been tough. FWIW, I think I may just go ahead and open up a place for someone else to join the beta! ;)

Mark

typhoon Jan 5, 2006 2:49 pm

Why no gmail-type search function?

My issue with hotmail- having used Gmail since Oct 2004- is the lack of search function. I get millions of emails and sometimes it's hard to remember in hotmail what folder I saved things into. I also like the 'conversation' view in Gmail. Even with the beta hotmail I still find it too old-fashioned looking.

doc Jan 10, 2006 10:12 am

Yes, typhoon, it is perhaps kinda' old fashioned looking I suppose, but that doesn't really bother me. The functionality does however!

Concerning the search feature, I'd thought hotmail has the "FIND" feature, but it's not all that great huh?

Mark

GUWonder Apr 18, 2006 1:36 am

Any more recent news on this thing, like how does the use of this Windows Live Mail compare to use of the classic Hotmail when on a slow dial-up connection?

(Sometimes I have no other option or get an otherwise lousy lousy connection.)

And is there anyway for me to switch back (not that I will given I like what I've got with this)?

Coathanger Apr 18, 2006 1:58 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And is there anyway for me to switch back (not that I will given I like what I've got with this)?

In the options secion, there is the choice to switch from Classic Hotmail to the new Windows Live Mail format, and to opt out of the beta.

There is now a search bar at the top of the page, FWIW. Given the number of emails I am receiving at present, a very welcome function.

Does anyone know if the beta was targeted or can everyone just sign on?

lecter Apr 18, 2006 2:07 am

Anyone could sign up on ideas.live.com, but up to now you have to have the US, UK or Japan as your home in your profile for you to actually get the invitation...there were also some people that had extra invites, but as you can well imagine, they quickly get used up :) I'm quite OK with it, just don't like the gynormous ad on the right, I think I'll pay for this service once I have the option to.

GUWonder Apr 18, 2006 2:17 am

Originally Posted by lecter
Anyone could sign up on ideas.live.com, but up to now you have to have the US, UK or Japan as your home in your profile for you to actually get the invitation...there were also some people that had extra invites, but as you can well imagine, they quickly get used up :) I'm quite OK with it, just don't like the gynormous ad on the right, I think I'll pay for this service once I have the option to.

For some the ad placement seems to blend in with the scroll bar that some use to read the email there.

lecter Apr 18, 2006 2:27 am

What kind of view do you use? I went for the Outlook Express-style one (opening the message underneath...there is not nearly enough space (at least at 1280 x 1024) to do it properly horizontally.

onlysuites Apr 18, 2006 2:27 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For some the ad placement seems to blend in with the scroll bar that some use to read the email there.

Its really bad unless you have a very good connection. I use the TATA PCMCIA card (which you might be aware of) and the speed is very good (132kbps). Not broadband but great for internet on the move. I found the BETA software too demanding for it so changed back to classic Hotmail.

Can anyone tell me what they find so great about BETA? I wasn't to convinced after trying it for a week!

lecter Apr 18, 2006 2:34 am

Originally Posted by lallyr
Can anyone tell me what they find so great about BETA? I wasn't to convinced after trying it for a week!

Latest version of any software = the best version :D (isn't that why we all try to get in on Betas?)

Seriously though, I like the improved attachment service (faster and without that stupid, buggy popup), the fresh (albeit quite plain) look and the AJAX-powered right-click, drag & drop & multiple-select possibilities.

GUWonder Apr 18, 2006 2:40 am

Originally Posted by lallyr
Its really bad unless you have a very good connection. I use the TATA PCMCIA card (which you might be aware of) and the speed is very good (132kbps). Not broadband but great for internet on the move. I found the BETA software too demanding for it so changed back to classic Hotmail.

Thanks for that info. (I sometimes have poor connectivity and will make sure to change to the classic set up in advance if I can.)