Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Problems with the new Windows Live Mail Beta?

Problems with the new Windows Live Mail Beta?

Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lallyr
Can anyone tell me what they find so great about BETA? I wasn't to convinced after trying it for a week!
I mean there is nothing revolutionary about BETA's in general, but I enjoy trying out something new and different. Having my hotmail account since 1996, I have been through all the various formats and quite welcome the drag and drop functionality, plus the viewing panel. Additionally, the search function is great for overloaded inboxes.

Agreed about the file attachements, much more streamlined and just gets on with the job. FYI, I have an Australian account so it seems they are now moving beyond the original markets (yay!).
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Can't go back to classic Hotmail view. Get messages saying it is being built still or something. Weird, since a few hours ago I was able to swap back and forth.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Can't go back to classic Hotmail view. Get messages saying it is being built still or something. Weird, since a few hours ago I was able to swap back and forth.
Happend with me too. Must be a hicup with the software. The next time i logged on it was back to the normal view.

Try it again in a few hours. ^

How many MB's space do you get with Beta?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:37 am

Programs: PC
You get 2 GB....though they still lack a graph that tells you that
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Happend with me too. Must be a hicup with the software. The next time i logged on it was back to the normal view.

Try it again in a few hours. ^

How many MB's space do you get with Beta?
Glad to hear it's not just me.

I discovered the same thing a couple of hours ago. How bizarre.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:49 am

One irritation I have with Live Mail (or maybe it's some combination of that with the IE browser) is that the window it's open in seems to claim priority over other windows. E.g., if I refresh my mail and go to a different window before it finishes refreshing, the Live Mail window will switch back to itself as the top window on my display. I could swear I've seen a Windows setting somewhere that disables this but can't find it now. I'm using W2K for my OS if it matters.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
You need XP powertoys to stop the application from stealing the focus.
Old May 17, 2006, 12:26 pm
kid

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
You need XP powertoys to stop the application from stealing the focus.

Here you go for the free download if you like

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Microsoft's programmers made this to work with Windows though they warn that it doesnt support Powertoys.

TweakUI is pretty neat.

Did I already say its free.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:36 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Its really bad unless you have a very good connection. I use the TATA PCMCIA card (which you might be aware of) and the speed is very good (132kbps). Not broadband but great for internet on the move. I found the BETA software too demanding for it so changed back to classic Hotmail.

Can anyone tell me what they find so great about BETA? I wasn't to convinced after trying it for a week!
---

All this is true or at least was.

It has been much better, at least inasmuch as I've personally seen, in recent months.

Mark
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:07 am
doc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doc
---

...It has been much better, at least inasmuch as I've personally seen, in recent months.

Mark
----

At least it had been much better, in my experience, at least until earlier this morning. FWIW, I'd thought I commented on this earlier, but maybe I'm getting senile or something.

I had received a few "server too busy" messages, but it appears to be okay now... at least for me. Hopefully others are not having ongoing difficulties, as noted here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=hotmail

Also, I've heard rumors to the effect that hotmail will eventually be morphing into the windows live mail format soon - whether you and I like it or not.

Anyone know anything about this?

Please let me/us know, thanks.

Mark
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:21 am
doc
Original Poster

Put more simply, does anyone know when hotmail, as we've known it, will disappear here in the US?

Thanks,

Mark
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I always thought Windows Live Mail is the next version of Hotmail, so as you said, it'll disappear.

I have nothing solid just speculations - I suspect it'll disppear around the same time when Vista comes out for the consumers, i.e., end of Jan.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
Originally Posted by doc
Put more simply, does anyone know when hotmail, as we've known it, will disappear here in the US?
My guess is once all the bugs are ironed out.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:27 am
doc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vt2k
My guess is once all the bugs are ironed out.
---

LOL! You think they'll really wait for that!!

---

FWIW...

"Get More from Your E-mail
We're building a better e-mail service-and you can help.

You've used MSN Hotmail and participated in the Windows Live (TM) Mail beta. Now we need your expertise to help us develop the newest version of Windows Live Mail beta for the desktop. We've been testing the product, but your input is key. Download the innovative desktop Mail beta, try it out, and tell us what you think.

Get Windows Live Mail for the desktop

Here's what you'll get:

Quick access to multiple e-mail accounts-all in one place (Hotmail/Windows Live, plus Yahoo! Plus, AOL, and Gmail, too)
The ability to compose, delete, and organize e-mail even when you're offline
Powerful tools to help you manage RSS and newsgroup feeds, create photo e-mails, connect with your Windows Live Messenger contacts, and more
Want a sneak peek before you sign up? See it now.

Please share your feedback! Download the program, test the features, and tell us how we can make them even better. Input from valued users like you will shape the final product.

Provide feedback at any time.

Thank you,
Windows Live Mail Beta Team"

---

http://ideas.live.com/programpage.as...7-e36dd191a9f4

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.