Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Please help me configure a portable music solution

Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't know much about iPods et al. I have been using an Archos for a few years but it is too clunky.

Here is what I want to do: I want to dock my music player, sync various albums and podcasts and audio books with it, and then be able to have it in my pocket or case, and broadcast on FM to a nearby car stereo or one of my home stereos so it is all wireless.

What do you suggest?

Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I think you need an iPod. With a wireless FM transmitter.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by skofarrell
I think you need an iPod. With a wireless FM transmitter.
I agree. I "love" my iPod.

I have a Monster cable brand transmitter which plugs into the cigarette lighter which keeps it charged, and also broadcasts to my radio. Works great. Not nearly as good as a hardwired CD player, of course, but then I don't have to carry the 242 CDs I have on the iPod!

At home, I opted for a hard wire set-up from the mic hack to aux inputs for each of the 3 amplifier/tuners we have around the place.

For on the road, I bought a set of decent amplified speakers for the two places where I stay a couple of months a year.

Other places, earphones. Airplane, Shure EC2's (or is it E2C's) whatever. Sound insolation and VERY good sound. Small, too.

Happy!

Enjoy your set up.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 2:49 am

Tried the I-River and was dissapointed. Returned it after it blew my amph with the ear phone hookup to reciever.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 5:01 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Yeah, I agree with the replies so far. Your requirements are screaming IPOD! And don't forget iTunes whether you're on Mac or Windows if you want the best way to manage podcasts. Also, if your car stereo has a cassette player, use a cassette adapter instead of FM for better sound quality. If not then get the combo charger/FM transmitter.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 6:34 am

Programs: EVA Diamond,SQ Gold, TG Gold, Airtran Elite
IPOD. Also I suggest getting the largest one storage wise even if you think you won't need it. You will.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

thank you. Any thoughts on iPod photo vs. non-photo model? I was thinking 60GB photo. But I understand it doesn't do video Is it worthwhile anyway?
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
When it comes to "stuff" which deals with a part of life important to me, I always get one step bigger or better than I think I need.

That said, I do find the 40gig iPod quite big enough so far. As I mentioned, 242 CDs and only 29.61 gigs used. I find it hard to imagine that I would want nearly another 25% on board.

If you do like to store photos or listen to a lot of audio books, or want some extra file storage space, though, sure, go for the 60.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I agree with the Ipod suggestion although if you want the primo setup I would get a Mac as well. I have a mini and it is fantastic, but it is also full. I would really suggest getting a large capacity one as well. Im debating whether to get a larger capacity one or another mini. The latter solution has some appeal for me and the minis are so small it wouldnt be difficult to carry a couple of them if I wanted, or only one if that was the choice.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:31 pm

try the ipod mini. I hate putting things in my pockets and the mini or shuffle is the only thing i found acceptable

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.