Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Hotspot Users: DEN & PHL Airports Now Charged As Roaming

T-Mobile Hotspot Users: DEN & PHL Airports Now Charged As Roaming

Old Jun 16, 05, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanum, Hilton Diamond
Exclamation T-Mobile Hotspot Users: Roaming on Cingular Wi-Fi @ DEN/PHL airports no longer free

Just noticed on T-Mobile's website that wireless access in DEN & PHL airports that is provided by Cingular (formerly AT&T Wireless) are now charged as $5.99/day if you are a T-Mobile Hotspot subscriber.

Native T-Mobile Hotspots in the RCC/US clubs are obviously unchanged.

Flying to JAC via ORD & DEN in a few weeks with the fam... This was not a welcome change. I would also have expected some sort of e-mail notification or something - I just noticed it when I went to T-Mobile's site to see if any new hotspots have been activated.

Last edited by BDLMSYDL; Jun 16, 05 at 12:25 pm Reason: Modified Title
Old Jun 16, 05, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I've never signed on to the AT&T network in the past, but I am pretty sure that it was not included in your T-Mobile access. If you got the ATT router, it asked you to either provide your account # or a credit card.

So this is not a change unless you can log on and have the 5.99 charged to your tmobile account.
Old Jun 16, 05, 9:56 am
Suspended

Color me confused. Why would you expect the AT&T network to be free witha T-Mobile account?!? Why not log onto the T-Mobile network near the RCC.

Also, your thread title is totally misleading.
Old Jun 16, 05, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanum, Hilton Diamond
It used to be (and was still this way last month when I connected at PHL on US) that you could "roam" on the AT&T Wireless (now Cingular) hotspots at these 2 airports for free as a T-Mobile Hotspot subscriber. When the login page came up in your web browser, there was a link to a page that allowed you to sign on with your T-Mobile account at no charge.

Now (and I haven't actually been back to PHL or DEN since the change), if you sign onto one of the Cingular hotspots in PHL or DEN, $5.99 will supposedly be charged to your T-Mobile Hotspot account.

Here is the press release about the agreement from last year:

http://www.t-mobile.com/company/pres...srelease88.asp

Last edited by BDLMSYDL; Jun 16, 05 at 12:29 pm
Old Jun 16, 05, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Last I tried to log on, I saw $9.99 a day regular price, and now there are NO other pricing plans.

Previously there were plans of $29.99 for five connections in a six month period.

I won't plunk down $9.99 every time I need to check email for a half hour at DIA, thank you very much.
Old Jun 16, 05, 4:29 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Color me confused. Why would you expect the AT&T network to be free witha T-Mobile account?!? Why not log onto the T-Mobile network near the RCC.

Also, your thread title is totally misleading.
Huh? How is the title misleading? It's completely correct. You used to (and as of today, still can) roam on the Cingular/AT&T wifi network in DEN with a T-Mobile account -- just like you can roam on a ton of Wifi networks throughout the world. The OP is stating that T-Mobile is changing this roaming agreement.
Old Jun 16, 05, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 2P (former 1P)
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Last I tried to log on, I saw $9.99 a day regular price, and now there are NO other pricing plans.

Previously there were plans of $29.99 for five connections in a six month period.

I won't plunk down $9.99 every time I need to check email for a half hour at DIA, thank you very much.
The monthly $29.99 plan allows unlimited connectivity on any hotspot. If you are a T-Mobile wireless phone customer, the service is discounted to $19.99 per month.

With the added roaming fees, you should see increased coverage for T-Mobile hotspots this year as they are able to afford more agreements like DIA.
Old Jun 16, 05, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA Plat / DL & HH Diamond
This is of a more general nature, then just aiming at UA users. Consequently I'm moving it to "Travel Technology" for the entire community.
Old Jun 16, 05, 10:54 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
(Slightly off topic)

Originally Posted by Eric702
The monthly $29.99 plan allows unlimited connectivity on any hotspot. If you are a T-Mobile wireless phone customer, the service is discounted to $19.99 per month.

With the added roaming fees, you should see increased coverage for T-Mobile hotspots this year as they are able to afford more agreements like DIA.
Also, if you are a t-mobile customer, you can turn the hotspot service on/off at will - you'll be charged a pro-rated amount based on the # of days actually used... i.e., < $1.00/day.. of course this doesn't help the roaming fees.
Old Jun 17, 05, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by mbreuer
Also, if you are a t-mobile customer, you can turn the hotspot service on/off at will - you'll be charged a pro-rated amount based on the # of days actually used... i.e., < $1.00/day.. of course this doesn't help the roaming fees.
How do you do this? This is a new one to me!!!
Old Jun 17, 05, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Axey
Huh? How is the title misleading? It's completely correct. You used to (and as of today, still can) roam on the Cingular/AT&T wifi network in DEN with a T-Mobile account -- just like you can roam on a ton of Wifi networks throughout the world. The OP is stating that T-Mobile is changing this roaming agreement.
Really? The roaming was free? Even to use the AT&T net in DEN, even though there was T-Mo available in the same airport?

If that's the case, then I'm sorry. My post was incorrect.
Old Jun 18, 05, 8:49 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by albatross
How do you do this? This is a new one to me!!!
You connect to the hotspot sign-up page... then log in to your t-mobile on-line account (cell phone). Then add hotspot to your account. Then go back to the hotspot page and log in.

Alternatively, you can call 611 and have them activate.

When done, deactivate it using either method.

FWIW, I found out about this when I called t-mobile and asked whether they had any day-rate hotspot discounts for t-mobile cellular subscribers. The CSR told me to just do this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: