Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How do you keep your laptop screen clean ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Love my new laptop, but 3 days later the screen is full of lint / dust etc.

What sprays or cleaners do people use to try and reduce the "magnetic" draw of stuff to their screens?
Old Mar 8, 2005, 3:21 pm

I've used stuff like Endust for electronics before, it works alright. A lot of people say just a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water on a lint-free microfiber cloth works well.

I've also used this stuff: http://www.klearscreen.com/ and it's outstanding, but pricey.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jumpmonger23
I've used stuff like Endust for electronics before, it works alright. A lot of people say just a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water on a lint-free microfiber cloth works well.

I've also used this stuff: http://www.klearscreen.com/ and it's outstanding, but pricey.
I have used klear screen in the past and it leaves a film on the screen.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA General Member
I use iKlear Apple Polish even though I don't own a Powerbook, iBook, or iPod.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
I have used klear screen in the past and it leaves a film on the screen.

If you work quickly, it won't leave a film.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

I have used different cleaning products, but nothing in the past has helped reduce the electro magnetic attraction of dirt to the screen.

Do any of the above products help in that respect?
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:09 pm

KlearScreen and iKlear do leave a film behind, but I think that's how it reduces electrostatic attraction. The iKlear is more expensive, but isn't as obviously solvent laced as the normal (and cheaper) KlearScreen products.

Some times I'll just use a square of microfiber cloth in between cleanings. It works better than using canned air.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by back seat
I have used different cleaning products, but nothing in the past has helped reduce the electro magnetic attraction of dirt to the screen.

Do any of the above products help in that respect?

Endust for electronics supposedly does this, but if you think about it, if screens are always passing electricity through them, how long could an anti-static spray possibly last? (Engineers please chime in)
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Spray it with a hose when cleaning the car. Oh wait, this isnt omni?!
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Originally Posted by jumpmonger23
Endust for electronics supposedly does this, but if you think about it, if screens are always passing electricity through them, how long could an anti-static spray possibly last? (Engineers please chime in)
Well electricity and magnetism are essentially one and the same....hence electromagnetism. If you have a cell phone nearby a speaker and your phone rings, you'll hear a distortion coming out of the speaker. Why? The radio waves (which are "packets" of energy) disrupt the magnetic field that is producing the sound inside the speaker and thus the sound, by virtue of Ampere's Law

B = (mu*I)/(2*pi*r) for linear profiles

In the same sense, a laptop screen is filled with liquid crystals which are polarized (positive and negative) inbetween two thin, transparent plates. The pixels are then converted to a zero or 1 and then is distorted to create color. I won't get into much more detail since 16 million colors requires much more complex analysis.

For all that I've lost already, essentially it is nearly impossible to keep your screen lint- and dust-free because the inherent property that drives LCD screens is the same that creates attractive forces to particulates in the air.

Wow...I really am a nerd. Guess it paid off to study electromagnetism and quantum physics.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

globetrekker84 - waaaaay to much information

Guess I will suffer knowing there is nothing I can do to deal with it.

Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:02 pm

I use a little spit, my finger and a handkerchief.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
I squint.

Best wishes,

Teacher49
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Monster iClean with the included microfibre cloth. Works fantastic. Use it on my laptop's 17" and my standalone 20" and 24" LCDs.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Monster iClean with the included microfibre cloth. Works fantastic. Use it on my laptop's 17" and my standalone 20" and 24" LCDs.
I use a travel size Monster ScreenClean and love it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.