Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Igo compatible with Dell Inspiron 700m

Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

Dang. I just got my new notebook and I cannot find the tip that is going to match the inspirion 700m. Does anybody know which is the tip. I am flying United and going to be connecting to empower.

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2005, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP/MM
I can't answer your question specifically, but I can suggest what you might find.

I have a Dell Lattitude D600. What I found is that:
  • There is a special link between the Dell laptop and it's charger; if a non-Dell power source is connected, the laptop battery will not charge
  • Dell offers a special travel charger (made by iGo) that will support both AC and Empower outlets; essentially it is a Dell-only version of the Juice
  • Because iGo provides this to Dell, they do not offer one themselves

I had an iGo Juice, but found I needed to get the Dell travel charger. It works as advertised and even accepts the iGo attachments for other types of devices (although not at the same time as charging the PC).
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Do you have a link or source for this Dell travel charger......I cannot find it on their website....thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

power converter

Can I use the power adapter that fits in car lighters into a empower on United?
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP/MM
Here's the one I got. It lists a bunch of Inspirons, although not the 700m (but I think the 700m is fairly new?).

Dell Combination Power Adapter
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Got inverter at Radioshack

It is huge but what am I going to do.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest
Originally Posted by iwebslinger
Dang. I just got my new notebook and I cannot find the tip that is going to match the inspirion 700m. Does anybody know which is the tip. I am flying United and going to be connecting to empower.

Thanks
I have a 700M as well and the only answer is to buy the Dell air/auto power adapter (also made by IGO I believe) directly from Dell. Unfortunately, it's a lot bigger and heavier than the old IGO, plus the port for the aux power tip is right at the end, so you cannot plug the aux power cord in at the same time as you power/charge the laptop!!
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:31 am

Programs: AA-Million Miles++, Pan Am, Eastern, Asia Miles, True Blue, IHG Spire, Emirates, APEC & Global Entry
Originally Posted by UScolorado1k
I have a 700M as well and the only answer is to buy the Dell air/auto power adapter (also made by IGO I believe) directly from Dell. Unfortunately, it's a lot bigger and heavier than the old IGO, plus the port for the aux power tip is right at the end, so you cannot plug the aux power cord in at the same time as you power/charge the laptop!!
FYI-- I have the APC travelpower adaptor which, unfortunately, does not have a tip for the 700m (as of feb. 05)-- but my old Targus PA-350 does have one available. It's #103, and I've tried it--works fine, but only to run the laptop, not to charge. However, I was able to simultaneously charge my other devices (phone & Palm) through the Dell's USB ports.

Apparently Targus has other newer models that work too. The PA-350 has both Empower and 12v dc plugs-- perfect for those AA exit rows. (APC charger works with those and from AC too--wish it matched my Dell. Come on APC, get with it.)
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Separate air/car adapter needed for 700m

I just called Dell and ordered an air/car power adapter for my 700m. The 65W adapter listed on the website does not work for the 700m, according to the phone rep. Naturally, the one I needed is even more expensive ($99.95 plus tax and shipping).
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Did they mention which number Tip you will use for the 700m?
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I didn't think to ask. I certainly hope they'll send me the tip; then, if possible, I post the number.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by card1953
I didn't think to ask. I certainly hope they'll send me the tip; then, if possible, I post the number.
When I bought my Juice 70 (about June of 2003) the kit included a plastic bag containing about 6 or 7 different tips (apparently the most commonly used ones). My Sony Vaio uses #11, whch was one of the tips included in the set.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I doesn't need a tip. It has a dedicated cord end that only works with Dell laptops of this vintage (600M, 700M, D600, etc.)
Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikel51
I doesn't need a tip. It has a dedicated cord end that only works with Dell laptops of this vintage (600M, 700M, D600, etc.)
Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if future models will feature a similar "non-tip" design.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:31 pm

Location: Woodbridge, NJ, USA/ Swords, Co Dublin, IE/London, UK
Programs: AA Plat Pro
iGo support the D600 now.. kinda

iGo now support the lattitude D600 with Tip 20 (juice 70 and ice 70) and Tip S20 (Juice 90 & EverywherePower 7500)

They do specify that this is for notebook powering only

Which is something we will unfortunately see a lot more off as the laptop manufacturers move to 150W bricks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.