Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Old cellphone died - where to buy new one?

Old Feb 16, 05, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW

My old Nokia (basic candybar) cellphone died a couple of weeks ago and I'm going nuts without it. Have been with AT & T for years, but I'm out of contract now---yea! I'm a highly analytical type, so deciding on a new provider and phone is proving very difficult.

My research shows the only way to get a free or near-free new phone is to change companies. T-Mobile gets high ratings here in PHX and my husband is happy with his company phone on T-Mobile service.

So I think I'll switch to a Get More plan with 600 minutes and free nites & weekends. I normally only use 100-200 minutes a month, but want the national coverage and free minutes for when I'm on trips. I only need a basic phone, no camera or frills, but if it's a flipphone I want the caller ID on the outside. The phones I'm considering are the Motorola VT180, Samsung e105, or Nokia 6010. I do want a GSM phone, hence going with T-Mobile, but it doesn't need to be unlocked. I can always get it unlocked later if I want to use it overseas.

With search function disabled here at FT, I've looked back through several pages of posts on Travel Technology for suggestions on where to buy. I visited howardforums, phonescoop, and a few others. I looked at 1800mobiles.com and they have GREAT deals on T-Mobile phones (like free activation, car charger, headset, no tax, free shipping---much better than the T-Mobile storefront). I also looked at letstalk.com and their deals are OK but not as good as 1800mobiles.

Here's the rub: I can't find any ratings or reviews on 1800mobiles, on bizrate or anywhere. Handing over my CC number to an unknown company is too scary. H-E-L-P!

Anyone bought a phone/plan from 1800mobiles? Any other vendor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 16, 05, 3:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Have you tried over at amazon.com? I know many people who have had great deals there hen the rebates, activation and the rest are all in place on the same phones.
Old Feb 16, 05, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL Silver
Audiovox SMT5600

Originally Posted by Dianne47
My research shows the only way to get a free or near-free new phone is to change companies. T-Mobile gets high ratings here in PHX and my husband is happy with his company phone on T-Mobile service.
You may be able to get the Audiovox SMT-5600 smartphone w/cingular or at&t and just agree to a new plan for 1-2 years. (You'll get locked into a one or two year plan at T-Mobile as well, there's no way around that...)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...96853?v=glance

My wife and other friends have this device and love it. I have had dozens of Nokia's, Pocket PC's, Palms, etc, and this phone is in my opinion one of the best combinations of power and ease-of-use that i've seen.
Old Feb 16, 05, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, *wood Plat
My old Nokia (basic candybar) cellphone died a couple of weeks ago and I'm going nuts without it. Have been with AT & T for years, but I'm out of contract now---yea! I'm a highly analytical type, so deciding on a new provider and phone is proving very difficult.

So I think I'll switch to a Get More plan with 600 minutes and free nites & weekends. I normally only use 100-200 minutes a month, but want the national coverage and free minutes for when I'm on trips. I only need a basic phone, no camera or frills, but if it's a flipphone I want the caller ID on the outside. The phones I'm considering are the Motorola VT180, Samsung e105, or Nokia 6010.
We (5 of us) use the T-Mobile Family plan and have for over 2 years. It's worked great. The Mobile to Mobile have saved us a lot of money. My husband uses his phone (Nokia 6610) in Europe and China all the time and it works well.

My two daughters have a Samsung e105 and hate - I repeat hate the phone. Each has had T-Mobile replace it twice. My son uses a Motorola v300 which has been replaced three times. My Nokia 6610 isn't a flip phone but it is a workhorse. I wouldn't trade it until Nokia comes out with a flip.

I do want a GSM phone, hence going with T-Mobile, but it doesn't need to be unlocked. I can always get it unlocked later if I want to use it overseas.
It's no big deal to have T-Mobile activate Int'l. And if you don't use it you don't use it. We are all activated. You need it even if you go to Mexico.

Hope this helps
Old Feb 16, 05, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure what they do in the USA...but the mobile arm of Deutsche Telekom (aka T-Mobile) offers a very impressive device here in Europe: the MDA Compact...truly all-in-one. Check it out.
Old Feb 16, 05, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkfb1

My two daughters have a Samsung e105 and hate - I repeat hate the phone. Each has had T-Mobile replace it twice. My son uses a Motorola v300 which has been replaced three times. My Nokia 6610 isn't a flip phone but it is a workhorse. I wouldn't trade it until Nokia comes out with a flip.
Thanks for this comment, I will strike the e105 from my list. I've had good luck with Nokias in the past. Still looking for input, especially on super discounts. Have looked at amazon.com, but it seems like better discounts are available at other sites.

Also, I wonder about what happens if a phone is DOA or has problems in the first couple of weeks of use. Bother!
Old Feb 16, 05, 10:32 pm
21D

Programs: AA/SPG/Hertz Gold HH/HPSilver
Anyone bought a phone/plan from 1800mobiles? Any other vendor? Any help would be greatly appreciated. [/QUOTE]

FREE Samsung E315 for T-Mobile
As seen on MSN! Talk in style, plus snap and send pictures and videos with this awesome FREE camera phone from T-Mobile!

at http://www.letstalk.com/

I have had tmobile service and a blackberry for a year just south of you on 1-10 The service has a few dead spots (foothills) but otherwise great. My wife has the phone above. I have dealt with the letstalk people for about 3 years without issue. Otherwise go into any tmobile store and claim sight impairment and they will give you the phone for free The numbers as you dial appear huge on the screen!!!
Old Feb 16, 05, 10:49 pm
21D

also be aware that the 600 min plan includes No Roaming Charges on the T-Mobile Digital Network however the 1000 min plan is No roaming charges anywhere across the USA. An issue maybe if you travel. Also the tmobile to tmobile is not technically free. I suggest the 1000 min with free weekends $45 with "free" tmobile to tmobile as the best value.
Old Feb 16, 05, 10:49 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by 21D
Anyone bought a phone/plan from 1800mobiles? Any other vendor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FREE Samsung E315 for T-Mobile
As seen on MSN! Talk in style, plus snap and send pictures and videos with this awesome FREE camera phone from T-Mobile!

at http://www.letstalk.com/

I have had tmobile service and a blackberry for a year just south of you on 1-10 The service has a few dead spots (foothills) but otherwise great. My wife has the phone above. I have dealt with the letstalk people for about 3 years without issue. Otherwise go into any tmobile store and claim sight impairment and they will give you the phone for free The numbers as you dial appear huge on the screen!!![/QUOTE]

I had a Samsung e315 from T-Mobile briefly at the beginning of the year - reception was horrible. T-Mobile swapped it twice, then let me choose a different handset. I'm now happy with a Motorola V600. I believe there is some sort of firmware problem with the 315 - great phone... except for the fact that the voice at the other end was usually unintelligible.

I second the Amazon.com suggestion --- unless you're doing an upgrade with your existing carrier or going for a family plan.
Old Feb 17, 05, 12:48 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
We've gotten three phones through Amazon and have been satisfied with the purchases. All have been on T-Mobile plans.

Looking at their current offerings, it looks like they have phones available for as little as -$100, meaning, after all rebates are received, you'll have received rebates totaling $100 more than what you paid.

The best deal I ever got was -$70, plus a free Jabra Bluetooth headset when purchasing a SonyEricsson T610.

I also noticed that you can get a free 3-Pack accessory kit with the purchase of some phones right now, in addition to all the rebates.
Old Feb 17, 05, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, *wood Plat
Thanks for this comment, I will strike the e105 from my list. [/QUOTE]

A couple of points.
1- If your husband has a TMobile Plan call TMobile CS and tell them you've been thinking of switching to them what could they offer you. I called to ask when my contract was up and they offered my husband a new phone - free minutes to keep us. You have nothing to lose only some time.

Also, I wonder about what happens if a phone is DOA or has problems in the first couple of weeks of use. Bother!
T-Mobile has been real good about replacing phones. From them Phones come with a year warrantee. If it's DOA they will replace it immediately. I think T-Mobile will you give a 15-30 day to make sure the service works for you. Ask.

JKFB1
Old Feb 17, 05, 8:38 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by jkfb1
Thanks for this comment, I will strike the e105 from my list.
A couple of points.
1- If your husband has a TMobile Plan call TMobile CS and tell them you've been thinking of switching to them what could they offer you. I called to ask when my contract was up and they offered my husband a new phone - free minutes to keep us. You have nothing to lose only some time.

T-Mobile has been real good about replacing phones. From them Phones come with a year warrantee. If it's DOA they will replace it immediately. I think T-Mobile will you give a 15-30 day to make sure the service works for you. Ask.

JKFB1[/QUOTE]

No! I was talking about the e315. I had an e105 which was an excellent phone - unfortunately I managed to break the lcd (my bad). Fortunately, T-mobile allows upgrades after 11 months. Their current policy is that they'll make new-customer offers available to existing customers at the end of each year. If you're looking at an e105, go for it.
Old Feb 17, 05, 4:21 pm
21D

>>>No! I was talking about the e315. I had an e105 which was an excellent phone<<<<

well they must have fixed the issue you had. I just spent 2 of the last 8 hours talking to my wife on her e315 going north on I-10 and I-17 to Flagstaff nothing wrong with her phone at all.....sounds great
Old Feb 17, 05, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
If you're looking for coverage, Verizon and Cingular are going to be your best bet.

Don't even get me started on TMobile and Sprint.

I'd suggest going to a corporate store for buying a cell phone. I never thought so before, but I bought my Cingular phone at a corporate store and they've taken good care of me.

Phones weren't that much more expensive than a reseller. Cingular also let's you trade your phone within 30 days if you don't like your current one. Plus if you have warranty issues, you can get a new phone on the spot. Most resellers won't deal with you after their return period.

Cingular also took care of me when my phone wouldn't ring. I live in Maryland and my phone stopped ringing late the night before we went to Utah. I just found a corporate store, showed them my receipt and they gave me a new phone. No problem!

I'd stay away from Nokia phones. I think their reception is pretty poor. Verizon blamed my poor service from them on my phone. I blew it off until my friend bought a Nokia 3120 from Cingular. He was dropping calls left and right when he was talking to me, and it was the same area where my Motorola V551 phone worked just fine.

Still left Verizon for a slew of other reasons though.

If you do a lot of international travel, especially to Europe, GSM's the way to go.

I'd recommend the Motorola V551 from Cingular. I've never been happier with a phone. Sharp screen, camera takes good pictures, and battery life is excellent. Plus it's unlocked. I threw my bro-in-law's TMobile SIM in my phone and it worked just fine.

Super
Old Feb 18, 05, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all you kind FTers who posted suggestions. Yesterday I went to a T-Mobile storefront and handled all the phones I was considering, thinking of the advice given above. Today, back on the net researching some more, I went to the t-mobile.com website and on the homepage was a big new ad for "web only" free Motorola V300 camera phone with any $39.99 plan. Clicking in on this ad produced the exact national coverage plan I wanted with 600 anytime minutes, free nites & weekends.

I had researched the V300 on phonescoop.com and it has mixed reviews. It seems people either love it intensely (if they get a problem-free one) or loathe it (those who have problems, of course). I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and ordered it on T-Mobile's toll-free line (could order on website or by phone). It will be delivered (free, 2-day Fedex) and they will port over my old AT&T phone number. I get the standard 14-day "free trial" and hope any major flaws in the phone will reveal themselves in that period. This model has been out for a while and I'm hoping QC issues are resolved by now.

This new item will cause intense phone envy from my teen daughter, oh well! Thanks very much to all who responded. I did learn from several of you that it's smart to order directly from your service provider. Thank you again for the input.

Search this Thread