Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2005, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Laptop recommendations.

I am looking for a reliable laptop with the following requirements.

· Windows operating system due to company software compatibilities.
· Fast processor and memory requirement of 1Gb
· High end graphics card (not necessarily the best but close)
· Sturdy chassis for road warrior
· Would prefer Serial Port or 4 USB due to need to connect to serial devices
· Top quality service, especially on sight service

I am leaning towards Dell D810, loaded. Any suggestions. Remember, I must have outstanding customer service, especially replacement service is necessary and great on sight is preferable. Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I would say IBM Thinkpad. Only question mark is they are selling their business to Lenovo.

Their chassis are bulletproof v. many other brands. They essentially meet all your other criteria as well. The cost will be slightly more.

Thinkpad T Series gets my vote. Latest versions are the T43/T42
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I would say IBM Thinkpad. Only question mark is they are selling their business to Lenovo.

Their chassis are bulletproof v. many other brands. They essentially meet all your other criteria as well. The cost will be slightly more.

Thinkpad T Series gets my vote. Latest versions are the T43/T42
I currently have a T41. I like the hardware but the support for my company is not great. IBM has a canned build for all systems for my company and will not deviate from this build. After loading the software I need I have experienced several unanswered problems. Site support is poor as my "local" support facilities are about 850 and 1125 miles away. Attempting to get IBM to send a "local" technician to look at my computer is like pulling teeth. It is painful. I travel a lot, go figure. Trying to get IBM to have someone meet me at whereever I am at today, but not necessarily tomorrow is nearly impossible. IBM has been poor is remote support. Their help desk knows little, if anything, about some of the specific software I have loaded to perform my job functions so problems with these applications go nowhere. That is until one of the company assigned "local" IBM IS people call me for support. By the way, did I mention the canned build that causes conflict with my system, as well as almost every Field Service Engineer with our new IBM T41, T42 and T43s?

It is because of IBMs shoddy service that I have been asked to look for another solution that is not IBM. If my T41 was supported by the former IBM IS person at my real home facility then I am certain this would be a fantastic system. However, this is not a possibility with IBM. Too bad because they will lose our business because they will not assign a former employee to take care of my department's systems.

Last edited by RobotDoctor; Feb 15, 2005 at 10:21 pm
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP/MM
I've had a bunch of Dell systems of various kinds and always thought they worked well and were good values. In the few cases where I've needed service (e.g. a hard disk failure) their service has been prompt and efficient. IBM has had a good reputation but now that they are selling their business history doesn't mean much.

I guess that if you currently have an IBM you're used to it. I would never buy an IBM because I personally don't like the "stalk". I much prefer touchpads.

Last edited by Napa; Feb 16, 2005 at 7:38 am
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:07 pm
In Memoriam

Stay away from Sony, worst service in the business.

In other threads here (I Know search is down) IBM and Dell received good marks.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Yeah, the IBM T-series are well-built, but they can be nightmares to configure and stuff.

I love my HP zd7000, but I know for a fact it is most certainly not the laptop for you, RD.

The D810 looks nice, but even with the smaller 15.4" widescreen, I'd be worried about Row 2-6 on the UA 757 with the seatback recline. My 17" LCD is not really any taller then the 15.4", and no way in hades I could open mine in 2D. It's not quite so bad in Rows 2 and 3 on the 737 and Airbusses, but it is still mighty tight. And even when I had my 15" 4:3 IBM, I had to balance the laptop on my tummy to get the screen to clear when the person in front of me was reclined. So now you understand why I love the bulkhead in First and Exit Row in Economy.

I like the Inspiron 700m, myself, since the 12.1" widescreen is nice for DVDs, yet is short enough to never have a worry about the seatback in front of you. It does have Intel Extreme(ly crappy) Graphics, however. You run CAD/CAM or just want to do a little Doom 3 when the paperwork is done?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:33 pm

I hear the higher end Latitudes are pretty reliable; however, whomever Dell contracts their onsite service to could play a big role in your future satisfaction. In a recent thread on this same subject, I recall a few FT'ers had also mentioned Panasonic Toughbooks as being very reliable for heavy road and industrial use.

I wouldn't necessarily count on IBM getting J.D. approval for and selling off that laptop business unit to Lenova. Seems the "gub-mint" doesn't want all that technology being exported to China. Somebody better tell IBM that, though, as it seems they're hell bent on alienating their corporate customers in the meantime.

Regarding IBM "quality" and "service", in the time I bought my T41 (March 2004, great unit) and my "new" T42 (late December 2004, already on its' second HDD and CD-RW drives), I can't recommend highly enough to stay away from IBM. It was a nightmare getting this new unit fixed.... it took 3 weeks all told; I was lied to by our rep regarding getting a replacement, having someone come out to service the laptop, tech people's promises to send out a courier to pick the unit up, etc.

It's a real shame that laptop components aren't as readily available and easy to build as desktops are; I'd never buy another pre-built laptop again. Doc, good luck in your search & keep me posted; I know how frustrating it is to really have to be able to rely on your notebook...and not be able to.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
I really like my Compaq Presarios. Had various models for over 10 years and never had a problem. Got them for associates. Nobody ever had any problems.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread. As always, the information from the FT constituency is top notch. I appreciate the information. I look forwards to reading more.

On a side note, I did have my "local" IS person from our main office in Michigan call me this morning to discuss my recent problems with the T41. We are investigating how to best correct my problems permantely. I am certain that a resolution will be found, either with this T41 or whatever I choose. At present, I am leaning on Dell D810. I am intrigued with the Inspiron 700m but need a really good video card due to offline programming software I will be running. Also, I have heard that screens smaller than 14.1 is not real good for the software.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:55 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
RD:

I realize that you are much more of a "technogeek" than I will ever be. That being said however; I really would not recommend you go with a DELL laptop. They are a piece of crap imo. Although I TOTALLY agree with you re: IBM and their lack of service (I purchased a T41 this summer and have had nothing but problems with it as well as IBM NOT living up to the service agreement I purchased extra for), I have to say - Dell makes wonderful desktops and horrible laptops/notebooks. As far as their service. . .it's outsourced to India, follows a script, and Dell does not seem to really care about customer satisfaction.

I have a new Toshiba and need to say that it seems to be a nice little machine. It's the newest out there and it runs rather well, keyboard is great, etc. I just think that you should be aware that Dell isn't exactly a stellar customer service company imo. . .
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip Liz. Of course, I have fooled you as a technogeek. I am really a pretender.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:47 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
I've heard good things from www.powernotebooks.com
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Napa
I guess that if you currently have an IBM you're used to it. I would never buy an IBM because I personally don't like the "stalk". I much prefer touchpads.
Many newer IBMs have both.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Napa

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Many newer IBMs have both.
My current IBM laptop does have both, as uastarflyer stated in the last post.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:59 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Thumbs up

I like IBM ^^

But if you need something sturdy, get a toughbook

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.