Blackberry's and PDF's

Old Feb 14, 05, 7:27 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold; & some other useless titles
Blackberry's and PDF's

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm going nuts without the search feature.

Finally got my company supplied Blackberry today, and noticed opening PDF's is not a sure thing. In fact 80% of PDF's I try to open come back with a message that the attachment is "Empty".

Best I can tell from googling this, is that the Enterprise Mail Server used for pushing mail to the Blackberry (Notes/Domino) can not convert heavily graphics oriented PDF's to a text-only read state . The only PDF's that read OK are ones with almost all text to start with.

Does this make sense? If so, is there a solution? I get a ton of PDF's daily. I'm using a Blackberry 6280 (monochrome screen) with AT&T GPRS. And BTW, Excel and Word docs open fine.

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 05, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is correct, it will only open PDF's with a text content, TIFF or other graphical PDF's will not open on the device.
Old Feb 16, 05, 11:31 pm
21D

Programs: AA/SPG/Hertz Gold HH/HPSilver
Originally Posted by ScottC
That is correct, it will only open PDF's with a text content, TIFF or other graphical PDF's will not open on the device.
tell me about it Trying to use GFI fax software to email me pdf's (that workk great) but not to my 7100t

I wonder if they plan to support non text pdf's in the future.

Search this Thread