Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Advice Solicited on GSM phone

Old Jan 26, 05, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP

I currently have a Nokia 3650(unlocked), with an AT&T cheap local plan and a pay-in-advance Bouygues chip for France. I'm having problems with 1)finding batteries for the Nokia 2)the size of the phone3)I have to keep the lock on to keep it from self dialing, etc.4)a ring I can't adjust loud enough to hear in my purse, and 5)the rising cost of French service---you used to be able to hold your telephone number by buying 50E of calls for a 6 month hold. The amount is going up and the time held is going down. I go to France 5-8 times a year, so the buy up isn't a problem. Each time that I add money to the French service, it extends the previous time. However, the amount of each purchase determines the length of following service and number hold.

My contract comes up soon and there are lots of new models out there.All advice apprciated.
Old Jan 26, 05, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by willie--wonka
I currently have a Nokia 3650(unlocked), with an AT&T cheap local plan and a pay-in-advance Bouygues chip for France. I'm having problems with 1)finding batteries for the Nokia 2)the size of the phone3)I have to keep the lock on to keep it from self dialing, etc.4)a ring I can't adjust loud enough to hear in my purse, and 5)the rising cost of French service---you used to be able to hold your telephone number by buying 50E of calls for a 6 month hold. The amount is going up and the time held is going down. I go to France 5-8 times a year, so the buy up isn't a problem. Each time that I add money to the French service, it extends the previous time. However, the amount of each purchase determines the length of following service and number hold.

My contract comes up soon and there are lots of new models out there.All advice apprciated.
Answers to your points above

1. e-bay is the place to buy batteries for the phone. So far no problems.
2. The size bites!
3. Lock the phone by hitting the left menu button (usually mapped to the camera), then immediately hitting * (star).
4. To make the ring louder, you have to set the phone to vibrate at the same time. Don't know why, I hate it.

As for a new phone, I've been thinking about the Motorola Razr, but after fiddling around with it for about a half hour, I discovered that it doesn't store addresses.

Blackberries and the smart phones (phone & PDA combo) are out because they're too bulky.

I'm going to wait for next year's phones before I buy something.
Old Jan 28, 05, 7:40 am

According to the Bouygues site, your number remains valid (and can receive calls) for 8 months after the expiration of your credit. So if you buy a credit that's good for 4 months, you have eight months after that before you lose your number. Depending on your travel patterns, that may save you some money.
Old Jan 28, 05, 7:51 am

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
The place you need to be is GSM Arena. GSM Arena has all 2G handsets on the market bar none.

You can also compare two or three or four handsets should you be unsure as to what handset you want.

Alternatively, if you want to join a 3G providor, I'd be heading to a handset such as the Motorola A1000 or Motorola E1000, two of the finest handsets in the world. Both the USA and France now have 3G providors in certain regions, and this is continuing to grow. Check out Three for the major 3G providor network in the world.
Old Jan 28, 05, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG Gold
It all depends on your needs...

Not sure what size is too big for you but you can consider the XDA II which combines a pda (Pocket PC) with a phone.
I also like the Sony Ericsson S700i and Nokia 6670 or 7610 which runs symbian . These all come with big screens and loads of features...

I just picked up a Sharp GZ200/GX25 from HK last week. It's small and light 90 grams and has basic (well BT, camera, kick ... screen) phone functionality.

Last edited by bobes; Jan 28, 05 at 1:23 pm
Old Jan 30, 05, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by dannyr
Check out Three for the major 3G providor network in the world.
Keep in mind that if you, in any way, require a reliable and hassle-free network operation, I wouldn't touch H3G (Three) with someone else's bargepole.

Three has such a terrible customer service operation (in the UK at least) that it practically drives grown adults to tears while waiting for the 55th minute trying to get through to a half-machine/half-human "person" who is incapable of anything more than reading off a pre-written dialog script.

I have been sufficiently warned not to touch them that I have no personal experience... and of course, some people seem to have no problems with them at all, but too many people were burned to really make them a worthwhile investment.

Of course, no-one can beat them in the UK for the sheer number of free minutes that they give for simply the cheapest monthly charge - the phrase "giving the shop away" comes to mind.
Old Jan 30, 05, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
I've got an unlocked Sony Ericsson T637 that works like a charm on both the US T-Mobile and UK Virgin/T-Mobile networks. The battery life is incredible, the keylock works consistently and the adapter comes 110/220V out of the box.

The phone was from Cingular, though. Don't ask.

Timothy

Search this Thread