FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Vonage Users - Do you use Softphone? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/393177-vonage-users-do-you-use-softphone.html)

UScolorado1k Jan 25, 2005 5:09 am

Vonage Users - Do you use Softphone?

Ok, I finally made the leap yesterday into VOIP. Got Vonage for home and a "virtual phone number" in my in laws area so that they can call their daughter for free (they now think I'm a God!!! :) ). Now I have a question for all you Vonage users out there: what's the benefit to getting softphone for my laptop? I already have two cell phones with huge amounts of minutes and my office phone is already forwarded to my cell. I travel extensively (40+) weeks per year, but no one has problems getting a hold of me.

It seems to me that the only time that the softphone would come in handy is when I'm traveling overseas. If I understand it correctly, anyplace I have access to high speed internet, I can use the VONAGE softphone, right? So it wouldn't matter if I was sitting in a hotel in Tokyo or a hotel in Copenhagen, I could still use the softphone and it wouldn't cost me any more (at least to call a US number--I know I would pay international if I was sitting in Copenhagan and call a Copenhagan number). Am I correct?

thanks!

ScottC Jan 25, 2005 5:32 am

Everything you wrote is correct. It is great for overseas use, or for people with insufficient cell minutes. Because it also enable free vonage<>vonage calls it is great for those long calls to your family...

andrewp Jan 25, 2005 8:27 am

I signed up for Vonage specifically to get the Softphone for use while traveling. I tried to use it on a recent trip to London and the call quality was horrible. I switched over to Dialpad (my backup) and it worked great. If I don't have better luck with it overseas I may dump Vonage.... too bad, though, I really like getting my voicemail in an email message.

pinniped Jan 25, 2005 9:17 am

Another potential advantage would be if you can offload some of your cell minutes to VoIP (whether at home or via Softphone). I get that benefit at home simply with the VoIP handsets. You could get an even bigger offload effect if you are making a lot of cell calls while sitting in a hotel room on the road.

After getting VoIP hooked up, I was able to drop two notches down on my monthly cell plan, saving $37/month. A month or two from now I'll probably drop another notch saving another $15. For now, I'm taking it one step at a time: I want the savings, but not at the expense of having to become anal about watching our family's wireless usage.

Perhaps you'll be able to decrease your 2 wireless phones' "huge" amounts of minutes to "large" amounts of minutes. :)

UScolorado1k Jan 27, 2005 4:25 pm

Ok, I broke down and got the Softphone add on (I'm using it right now!!). I learned a lesson though (although it was a "well, DUH" once I thought about it). My laptop has speakers but no microphone, so I bought one of those desk-top microphones. People on the other end were complaining about an echo on the line and I finally figured it out. Due to latency, they were hearing their voices out of the speakers on my laptop and through the microphone!! As soon as I plugged in my bose headphones, it went away. :)

Now my next question, what kind of headsets are people using with softphone? I need one that is relatively cheap, but packs well. Any ideas?

I feel kind of stupid sitting here with my bose headphones on and using my cheapie microphone!

Thanks!

ScottC Jan 27, 2005 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by UScolorado1k
Ok, I broke down and got the Softphone add on (I'm using it right now!!). I learned a lesson though (although it was a "well, DUH" once I thought about it). My laptop has speakers but no microphone, so I bought one of those desk-top microphones. People on the other end were complaining about an echo on the line and I finally figured it out. Due to latency, they were hearing their voices out of the speakers on my laptop and through the microphone!! As soon as I plugged in my bose headphones, it went away. :)

Now my next question, what kind of headsets are people using with softphone? I need one that is relatively cheap, but packs well. Any ideas?

I feel kind of stupid sitting here with my bose headphones on and using my cheapie microphone!

Thanks!

For VOIP I use a Plantronics USB headset:

http://www.plantronics.com/north_ame...035/prod440042

With its DSP and noise cancelling microphone I get the best possible quality.