Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Wow! Best sony device Ever!

Old Jan 22, 05, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA 1K, AMEX Cent

I'm usually not a fan of Sony or its devices... But I just got one that is out of this world that all you TV/TiVo road warriors have to get!

Sony LocationFree TV

I am 100% addicted to DirecTV/TiVo (and their new HD Tivo). A common complaint with us TiVoers is that with DirecTV, you cannot remote schedule shows or save them to a computer (due to the MPAA threat of lawsuits for video extraction)... Never fear, sony is here!

You can attach two devices (a DirecTiVo, DVD player, Cable box, SAT box, VCR, etc.) via RCA connectors. PLUS a ANT or Cable feed via coax!

You can use your static IP address at home, or DynamicDNS to connect to the router while in an airport/hotel via the monitor's a/b/gWiFi, or Ethernet jack. While delayed x number of hours by insert airline here you can watch "Law and Order" in JFK T4! Everything that your remotes can do, you can control on the screen. You can also set it up for a POP3/SMTP server, surf the web, and use it to view your digital camera pics via its CF slot! Have been using it for a few weeks and is a breeze to set up and use. You only need a broadband connection at home and youre set! The unit even connects into your cable/DSL modem to be a wireless a/b/g router!

Now THATS A SONY!
Old Jan 22, 05, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got one too (gotta love Wedding gifts ). It works. Usually. Sometimes. The browser is very limited, the mail client is very limited. But, it's still an amazing piece of technology.

I'm also very anxious to try this device:

http://www.slingmedia.com/
Old Jan 22, 05, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
I've got one too (gotta love Wedding gifts ). It works. Usually. Sometimes. The browser is very limited, the mail client is very limited. But, it's still an amazing piece of technology.

I'm also very anxious to try this device:

http://www.slingmedia.com/
I heard that sony is planning on giving the monitor the ability to handle more complex webpages (when a CF card or memory stick is inserted), and the mail client should be beefed up with this update also. Further, I hear they will support IRcodes and remote patterns for future devices in software updates!
Old Jan 23, 05, 12:19 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Wait till the unit breaksdown. You wont get any support from SONY. I can guarantee you that. It will take you 4 hours just to speak to a human being that can help you. Takes another two weeks to receive the box to send your item in. Then it will take another three weeks to get an estimate. Then another three weeks to get the item fixed. Thats all while the unit is under warranty.

Thanks but no thanks.
Old Jan 23, 05, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tfong007
Wait till the unit breaksdown. You wont get any support from SONY. I can guarantee you that. It will take you 4 hours just to speak to a human being that can help you. Takes another two weeks to receive the box to send your item in. Then it will take another three weeks to get an estimate. Then another three weeks to get the item fixed. Thats all while the unit is under warranty.

Thanks but no thanks.
Yes, I had the same thing, initial unit was DOA. Took me 3 weeks just to get the emtpy box to send the broken one back, and then another 3 for the refubished unit.

Terrible terrible service.
Old Jan 23, 05, 7:57 am

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
last week i bought a cheapo computer with a tv-tuner for exactly this purpose. the software that came with the tv-tuner included the ability to stream video over the net. it can also handle multiple clients at the same time, provided the upstream connection is fast enough. i prefer this approach since i can use the computer for other purposes as well.

Originally Posted by FLYaway3x
I am 100% addicted to DirecTV/TiVo (and their new HD Tivo). A common complaint with us TiVoers is that with DirecTV, you cannot remote schedule shows or save them to a computer (due to the MPAA threat of lawsuits for video extraction)... Never fear, sony is here!
so the new series 2 tivos can't be hacked? i remember my old directivo could do all that you mentioned. but then i haven't followed the tivo-hacking scene in awhile.
Old Jan 23, 05, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ohbahsan
so the new series 2 tivos can't be hacked? i remember my old directivo could do all that you mentioned. but then i haven't followed the tivo-hacking scene in awhile.
Nope, the Series2's are much harder to hack... They also don't have drivers pre-loaded on them for wireless or wired network connections to their usb ports. Also, they have no software on them to act as a server... Finally, even if they did, HD content, is much too heavy to be broadcast over the internet (which is probably why DirecTV hasn't enabled Tivo-To-Go / Home Media - - - although they onlt have 15 HD channels...)

Search this Thread