New iPod (iPod Shuffle)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New iPod (iPod Shuffle)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:36 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Regarding above questions about resuming and audiobook suitability, my understanding is that it does resume exactly where you left off at any given time (which is sometimes unlike the other iPods), but that you can't fast wind through a given track, which would be bad for audiobooks because the track size can sometimes be a full hour or so. I guess that last bit might be somewhat mitigated by the resume part, but it would mean you couldn't switch from one thing to another and then back to the audiobook mid-track. (Admittedly, the desire to do that might be very small anyway.)

It was a third-party site (and I don't remember which one) where I read about the inability to fast wind within a track, so that info could be erroneous.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apple products in a nutshell:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/iProduct.gif
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:21 pm

im really happy with my 1.5 PowerBook G4 with iSight and AirPort Express and 20 GB iPod also. I just bought the apple wireless mouse on sale yesterday from Pasadena Apple Store with the World Travel Adapter set. I'm just waiting for the new Mac OS X 1.4 Tiger . yippee! no need for the mini Mac or the iPod shuffle.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:49 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by WHOAitzChRiS
im really happy with my 1.5 PowerBook G4 with iSight and AirPort Express and 20 GB iPod also. I just bought the apple wireless mouse on sale yesterday from Pasadena Apple Store with the World Travel Adapter set. I'm just waiting for the new Mac OS X 1.4 Tiger . yippee! no need for the mini Mac or the iPod shuffle.
Can't wait for Tiger Did you notice built in flight tracker amongst other things?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:54 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by kluau88
Can't wait for Tiger Did you notice built in flight tracker amongst other things?
I'm sure Konfabulator has a flight tracker widget out right now if you can't wait.

Konfabulator is basically the same thing as Dashboard.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by nmenaker

As for differantiation: It is an apple product. For many people and apparently a growing percentage of people they like the apple products, UI, useability, cache, whatever.
As others have said, the Apple name is exactly what this will sell on. UI? There is none. Useability? Stop, PLay, Forward, Back. I think others have the same usability. Cache? I assume you mean cachet? Exactly - It's white and 'cool' - that's why people will buy it. Other iPod's do have differentiators that make them nice. This is like the original Lexus ES - an unremarkable, rebadged Camry to take advantage of the name.

It's no worse than other flash players, no better, and has "iPod" stamped on it, so I'm sure it will sell bunches.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Please also see: http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/porta...shuffle-029509
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
thanks for the kudos

Originally Posted by CPRich
As others have said, the Apple name is exactly what this will sell on. UI? There is none. Useability? Stop, PLay, Forward, Back. I think others have the same usability. Cache? I assume you mean cachet? Exactly - It's white and 'cool' - that's why people will buy it. Other iPod's do have differentiators that make them nice. This is like the original Lexus ES - an unremarkable, rebadged Camry to take advantage of the name.

It's no worse than other flash players, no better, and has "iPod" stamped on it, so I'm sure it will sell bunches.

thanks for the kudos and speel check. I type faster than I can think actually. :-)

As for my comments, UI, useability, etc., I meant for apple products in general. Ipod, iMac, APE, they just work well, and people can interface well with them.

As for a phone, I think that the don't THINK they can do it well enough to keep up with this track record.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:49 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I have nothing against ipod, bought my wife one for xmas, and she absolutely loves it

They have a great interface, are cool looking, reason they are the best seller out there.

And now, Apple comes out with a new product, and everybody that is a loyal minion is eagerly awaiting. And it's normal, we have a loyalty to the products we buy, creating a rivalry between brands is a great way to keep a consumer base (I also have a degree in marketing )

But trying to be objective about it, this product is nothing to be excited about. It's just a run of the mill flash memory MP3 player. And if stripping a LCD out of it is a sign of genius, so be it. But this is a plain, boring, nothing extraordinary about it "new" product.

It's hard to be creating revolutionary, cutting edge products all the time, even for Apple
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by jfe
It's just a run of the mill flash memory MP3 player. And if stripping a LCD out of it is a sign of genius, so be it. But this is a plain, boring, nothing extraordinary about it "new" product.
True, it's not moving mountains in innovation, but show me another flash based mp3 players in 512mb/1gb capacities that weighs less than an 0.78 ounce (with battery).

Even players like the Muvo Micro that was billed as one of the lightest weights in at 0.8 ounces (not including the AAA), though it does have more features overall.

Of the current crop of 512mb flash based players, only 2 or 3 out of 15 or so players break the sub-$100 price mark.

Most other flash based 1gb players are running around $175 as well, and none are as small as the Shuffle.

The shuffle isn't for everybody, but I think apple has done enough differentiation to make a case for itself in the current market - but we'll see what happens, since flash memory continues to drop down in price. 1gb players should be sub-$100 by years end.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:32 am

Looking at it in a slightly different way, I was planning on getting a USB flash stick in any case, so will probably get the 1gig Shuffle instead
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fighting words from the CEO of Creative:

We’re expecting a good fight but they’re coming out with something that’s five generations older. It’s our first generation MuVo One product feature, without display, just have a (shuffle feature). We had that — that’s a four-year-old product. So I think the whole industry will just laugh at it, because the flash people — it’s worse than the cheapest Chinese player. Even the cheap, cheap Chinese brand today has display and has FM. They don’t have this kind of thing, and they expect to come out with a fight; I think it’s a non-starter to begin with.
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000343027143/
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:47 am

Hopefully the Shuffle will force other flashplayer manuf to drop their prices.

Personally I don't care for the Shuffle as it offers no features. I like the Iriver flash players much better.

I also like to play certain songs at certain times depending on my mood so the random play thing does not really work for me.

Funny thing is that you will spend more on a quality pair of earphones(shure,etymotic) for the player than the actual cost of the player.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
Fighting words from the CEO of Creative:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000343027143/

I agree with him wholeheartedly. There is nothing special about the ishuffle aside from the rechargeable battery. Personally I can care less about the battery part. batteries are pretty inexpensive these days.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jwalkabout
I agree with him wholeheartedly. There is nothing special about the ishuffle aside from the rechargeable battery. Personally I can care less about the battery part. batteries are pretty inexpensive these days.
The battery does worry me too. They made it sound like AAA batteries are a bad thing, but I think it's easier to find a 4 pack of AAA's than it is to find a spare USB port when on the road.

Of course, you can always get the Apple battery extender... Just like with the iPod, to get the thing working like you want you need to spend at least $100 in accessories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.