Reload this Page >

Laptop Power Adapter/Europe Power Plugs

Old Jan 5, 05, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle

Folks,

I did the mandatory search before posting. I have a HP Pavilion ZE5400 notebook that requires a 90W power adapter. The label on the power adapter says that it's input can be 110V or 200V (AC, auto-sensing), so I don't need a transformer when I plug it in London.

My questions are:

1. I'm flying CO and the 777 has power adapters in certains eats. CO's website doesn't mention what the output of the power adapter in the seat is. In the event that the seat power adapter doesn't put out 90W, can I take the battery out of my notebook and use only juice from the seat power adapter instead? If not, what are my options? (Here's a link to CO's Empower system)
http://www.continental.com/travel/in...86399D98B5CCD3

2. I have an AT&T Wireless GSM phone that supposedly works in the UK (according to my company). I noticed that the power adapter for this phone only has a 110V input. Do I need to buy a transformer to charge this phone?

3. Radioshack sells plug adapters for use in the UK (among other places). Is this all I need?
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=273-1405

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jan 5, 05, 3:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
1. Not sure. What's the power consumption without the battery charging?

2. Not a transformer necessarily, but something like this "converter". A transformer needs a certain minimum load to operate effectively and can operate poorly with less than this load. A converter is usually rated for a smaller load (50 watts or less). There are switchable converters that combine a converter and a transformer.

Or you could use the 120v shaver outlet in the bathroom. I've used the shaver outlet to charge my camera batteries when all I had was a 120v charger.

3. For the UK all you really need is the big adapter in the back of the picture. You can get just that (not at RS) for a few bucks; the RS price is OK for the whole set.

Last edited by pdhenry; Jan 5, 05 at 3:20 pm Reason: Rethought my answer to #1.
Old Jan 5, 05, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
1. I'm flying CO and the 777 has power adapters in certains eats. CO's website doesn't mention what the output of the power adapter in the seat is. In the event that the seat power adapter doesn't put out 90W, can I take the battery out of my notebook and use only juice from the seat power adapter instead? If not, what are my options? (Here's a link to CO's Empower system)

There's a lot of debate on the topic... in general, the Empower ports put out 75W of juice (they really weren't designed for the "Desktop replacement" power hogs), so you might run the risk of overloading the seat power connector. More importantly, though, you need a power adapter (like an iGo or a Kensington Air/Car/AC kit) that plus into the special plug, as referenced. Some people believe it's the battery... in reality, I'd run it at a reduced proceessor speed AND without the battery at that wattage level or, better, use the Empower to charge it without actually using it at the same time. Either should work.

2. I have an AT&T Wireless GSM phone that supposedly works in the UK (according to my company). I noticed that the power adapter for this phone only has a 110V input. Do I need to buy a transformer to charge this phone?

Yeah... your Worldphone is GSM worldphone, but your adapter isn't. Try eBay for one that is 110/220V switchable... that'll be the cheaper router.

3. Radioshack sells plug adapters for use in the UK (among other places). Is this all I need?
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=273-1405

For your computer, you'll need an adapter (a world adapter that does multiple countries, including a Europlug and UK, is probably a better bet and only slightly more expensive). For your phone, you'll either need a new charger and the adapter *OR* a transformer.
Old Jan 5, 05, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GodOSpoons

There's a lot of debate on the topic... in general, the Empower ports put out 75W of juice (they really weren't designed for the "Desktop replacement" power hogs), so you might run the risk of overloading the seat power connector. More importantly, though, you need a power adapter (like an iGo or a Kensington Air/Car/AC kit) that plus into the special plug, as referenced. Some people believe it's the battery... in reality, I'd run it at a reduced proceessor speed AND without the battery at that wattage level or, better, use the Empower to charge it without actually using it at the same time. Either should work.
GodOSpoons, thanks for your comments on Empower. I have a PowerXtend Airplane Adapter that takes a 12-16V in and puts out 72W max. This worked well on AA flights and my old Compaq Presario laptop. Think this will work on CO and my HP power hog 90W laptop with the battery removed?

Originally Posted by pdhenry
1. Not sure. What's the power consumption without the battery charging?
pdhenry, thanks for your response.
How do I determine the power consumption without the battery charging?

Originally Posted by pdhenry
Not a transformer necessarily, but something like this "converter". A transformer needs a certain minimum load to operate effectively and can operate poorly with less than this load. A converter is usually rated for a smaller load (50 watts or less). There are switchable converters that combine a converter and a transformer.

Or you could use the 120v shaver outlet in the bathroom. I've used the shaver outlet to charge my camera batteries when all I had was a 120v charger.
Do most hotel bathrooms in the UK have 120V shaver outlets in the bathroom? This might be handy to charge my laptop, but during meetings, I'll still need an adapter so that I can plug it in.

I'll look for the Europlug only, but the Radioshack set for $10 is my backup in case I don't find it.
Old Jan 5, 05, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer
1. I'm flying CO and the 777 has power adapters in certains eats. CO's website doesn't mention what the output of the power adapter in the seat is. In the event that the seat power adapter doesn't put out 90W, can I take the battery out of my notebook and use only juice from the seat power adapter instead?
Most airplane systems provide 70 watts maximum, but if you take out the battery you should be fine. Or you can charge the battery while the laptop is off.

If the adapter is rated only for 110V, then you will need a step-down transformer to reduce the 220V of UK to 110V.

For the laptop, yes. I bought the RS adapter set and my HP zd7000 also autosenses. Note the RC set is a two-prong input, so buy the 3-prong to 2-prong adapter. Worked like a charm in my hotel in London.
Old Jan 5, 05, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
...1. I'm flying CO and the 777 has power adapters in certains eats. CO's website doesn't mention what the output of the power adapter in the seat is. In the event that the seat power adapter doesn't put out 90W, can I take the battery out of my notebook and use only juice from the seat power adapter instead? If not, what are my options? ...
There's a big difference between "needs 90W" and "happens to come with an AC adapter rated for 90W." While no computer vendor gives its systems AC adapters rated for much more than necessary, since that costs money, the 90W allows for charging the battery at a reasonable rate as well as operating the computer under worst-case load conditions.

You'll be fine. Your battery probably won't charge much while you're using the computer, but it won't discharge much either. There's no reason to remove it. If you want to play it safe, turn down the screen light a bit, turn off your audio, turn off your wi-fi (which you're supposed to do in flight anyhow), and don't burn CDs. More drastic power management measures probably aren't needed, but feel free to use them if you want to be certain.
Old Jan 5, 05, 8:33 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
Most cellphone chargers are bigger and heavier than the phone. Leave them at home. Ziplinq (and others) sell nifty cables that let you charge your phone from the USB port of your (or someone else's) laptop. http://www.ziplinq.com/retractable-cable-cell.html. They also have small transformers that deliver USB voltage from 110-240v or from a car.
Old Jan 5, 05, 8:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Do most hotel bathrooms in the UK have 120V shaver outlets in the bathroom? This might be handy to charge my laptop, but during meetings, I'll still need an adapter so that I can plug it in.
Actually, I was proposing the shaver outlet for the phone.

I'm guessing that any "business class" hotel would have a 120v outlet in the bathroom. It will be rated for low power since it's intended for a shaver, but a charger is a low power device (a few watts).
Old Jan 6, 05, 5:28 am

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Most of the shaver outlets will only put out a max of 20W, which isn't nearly enough for any laptop. Otherwise, you'll fry the transformer.

Phone should be OK, but the USB solution is ideal.

Timothy
Old Jan 6, 05, 2:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Interesting that CO specifically state you cannot charge your laptop battery (it must be removed they say) but UA states you can recharge your battery. Strange.
Old Oct 8, 09, 5:12 pm

Programs: CO Gold, DL, US, Starwood Gold, RCL, Celebrity, NCL, Princess
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Thanks for the tip! I am in South Africa now with a camera battery that is nearly out of juice and a charger that is only 120V. Saw your post and tried the shaver outlet, which seems to be working fine. 8-)

Search this Thread