Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yahoo! Mail Desktop Icon?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2004, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Yahoo! Mail Desktop Icon?

Hello, FT-ers! I was wondering if some of the more computer-savvy here could help me out.

My old PC (a Compaq) came with an icon on the desktop that connected me directly with Yahoo! Mail. My new PC doesn't have this. I know I could create my own shortcut to Yahoo! Mail, but I'd like to have the special icon back because the shortcut is the generic IE shortcut icon and isn't as immediately visible to me and to others who use this PC. I've searched the net for "yahoo mail desktop icon" (and variations of that search), but haven't found anything. Nothing on the Compaq site, either. If anyone knows where/how to get this icon back (or even what I'm talking about!), I'd really appreciate a heads up.

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2004, 3:58 pm

Programs: Various lustrous chemical elements
Red face

I think you mean Yahoo! Essentials

Last edited by barella; May 13, 2004 at 4:03 pm
Old May 13, 2004, 4:05 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Try creating a new shortcut and paste this

C:\WINNT\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\DOWNLO~1\ymmapi.dll,OpenURL http://mail.yahoo.com/?.redir=ymmapi11

See if that works
Old May 13, 2004, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfe
Try creating a new shortcut and paste this

C:\WINNT\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\DOWNLO~1\ymmapi.dll,OpenURL http://mail.yahoo.com/?.redir=ymmapi11

See if that works

Thanks for the responses, guys. In regards to Yahoo! Essentials, I downloaded it and found that it has icons for everything EXCEPT Yahoo! Mail

In regards to creating a shortcut and pasting, can you tell me where exactly I am supposed to paste that file path?

Thanks so much!
Old May 13, 2004, 6:34 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by Ezra
Thanks for the responses, guys. In regards to Yahoo! Essentials, I downloaded it and found that it has icons for everything EXCEPT Yahoo! Mail

In regards to creating a shortcut and pasting, can you tell me where exactly I am supposed to paste that file path?

Thanks so much!

Copy the link that I posted, then minimize everything, anywhere on your desktop, right click select new -->Shortcut, and this will open a wizard.

Paste this path I gave you.

This could work, depending on the location of your operating system. If it doesn't work you might want to change it to c:\windows instead od c:winnt

Hope this helps
Old May 13, 2004, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Hey Man,
Thanks for the clarification! I wasn't able to make that fix work, but I did figure out another hack so all's well.
Cheers!
E.
Old May 14, 2004, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you use Yahoo! Messenger, you can configure it so that a small window will pop-up and tell you that you have new mail. You click on that window, and it'll bring up your Inbox in a browser window.
Old May 17, 2004, 1:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Smile Yahoo mail as default email client...

I know you already found out how to make the icon on your desktop link to Yahoo and show up as the Yahoo icon. You can also set Yahoo as your default email client if you would like.

Here is the link that tells you how to do it. It does require you to download a small program, but you can specify that you want an icon on your desktop or your Quick Launch bar or in your System Tray that will take you directly to Yahoo email.

I use it on my home computer and only after some initial install issues (I had to install it twice, because for whatever reason the first install did not "stick") it has worked great for the last five or so months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.