Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best place to buy prepaid SIM cards for Thailand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2004, 3:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Either in the US or in Thailand.

Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Your best bet is to buy a Sim card in Thailand, you can purchase one for under $10.
You'll have a wide choice of numbers from any of the sellers at the MBK center on the 4th floor.
Most have about 100 units of talk time included.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:44 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
When do you need the SIM? The reason that I ask is that I have 2 prepaid sims that are less than a month old and, if you are leaving soon, can be yours. One has the remainder of a 500 baht top-up in it; the other is just a basic that, I think, expires after 1 month without top-up.

The best place to buy your SIM is in Thailand. In Bangkok, they are available on the street for as little as 360 baht (be sure to have the seller activate it), but the best source that I found is the store located in the Siam BTS station (near the exit leading to Siam Square Shopping)-on the right as you exit. They charge 400 baht for a "1-2-Call" card. They speak good English, activate the SIM, and have top-up cards. 1-2-Call is AIS and charges 5 baht/min. domestic and 21 baht/min. international to the U.S. Topping up in Thailand can sometimes be difficult if you do not speak Thai-especially on the street. This method was simple and pain free. I have used the 1-2-call SIM in a large portion of Thailand and it works better than my domestic T-mobile. Areas used include Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, the Golden Triangle/Myanmar/Lao border, Phuket, Krabi, Surat Thani, Ranong, Hua Hin and Bangkok as well as in between. Much better coverage than one finds in Oregon or Washington.

Note: it does not roam internationally but does throughout Thailand. To call the U.S. use +1 area code number.

E-mail if you need the prepaid SIM.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 8:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you for the generous offer and the information. However, I will not be traveling to Thailand until July.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:40 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
BKK Terminal 1 has SIMs from several providers. I found DTAC has good coverage outside the Bangkok smog belt.
Rich
Old Mar 25, 2004, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be happy to pick up a pre-paid SIM for you? I go to BKK next week. I could then mail the SIM to you so you have it when your arrive? Drop me an email if you want: transpac at comcast dot net .

I also return in late May so could pick up a SIM then.

I purchased a one-2-Call (AIS) pre-paid SIm at one of the dozens of shops on the 4th (?) floor at MBK, for 300 B. I think that it came with some talk time?, and an expiration date of + 30 days. I've topped it up a few times, which results in the expiration date moving out 30 days. Topping up is challenging as the instructions are in Thai, but I managed it. International tariffs are pretty much standard, controlled by the telecommunications authorities I think, and the rate to the U.S. is 22 B per min. AIS may have some dial arounds, like 100 and 900 but I have not tried these yet.

One small nit; I can originate SMS'es on the internet (ICQ, www.telemessage.com )and from my AT&T Wireless mobile to a dTAC mobile (+66 1 xxx-xxxx) but cannot do that to a one-2-Call subscriber? I would go with dTAC but was confused if they operate a GSM900 network, so I opted for the one-2-Call SIM.

This IBB/Forum has some relevant info.:

http://bkktonite.com/cgi-bin/forum/forums.cgi?forum=29
Old Mar 25, 2004, 9:29 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Here's a tip for all users of the "One-2-Call" cards. When you buy it, get the sales person to call the call center and switch the default language from Thai to English. I did this and always get the prompts in English when I top up the card.

Standard rate for a new "One-2-Call" sim card is 400 baht (with 300 baht talktime included, valid for 30 days) but if you inquire at the Telewiz chain of handphone shops found all over Bangkok, you can get pretty good deals. I paid 1500 baht for a new sim card with 3000 baht value on it, valid for 6 months. These promotions come and go. Top up cards are available in denominations of 300 and 500 baht, which add 30 and 50 days respectively to the validity of the card.

I've never used DTAC, but Orange is a cheaper alternative - calls are 2.5 baht per minute as opposed to 4 baht per minute for "One-2-Call" but the coverage of the latter is better in the countryside.

FYI, I saw a newspaper ad recently saying that you can activate international roaming on the "One-2-Call" card by calling the call center, but personally I don't think its worth it.

Also, I think DTAC uses GSM 1800 only. And receiving of SMS from the internet or any other telco operator is not dependent on whether its GSM 900 or 1800, but rather its dependent on whether the SMS gateway of the receiving operator is configured to accept SMSes from those sources. AFAIK, as a "One-2-Call" user, I can't receive SMS from ICQ.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
opushomes YGM!
Old Mar 25, 2004, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Savage25 Thanks for that info.

Old Apr 3, 2004, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
International roaming with 1-2-Call card

Originally Posted by Savage25
FYI, I saw a newspaper ad recently saying that you can activate international roaming on the "One-2-Call" card by calling the call center, but personally I don't think its worth it.
The way international roaming works with 1-2-Call is a little bit complicated. From the country where you are roaming, you dial an access code (sorry, can't remember, but it will be texted to you in every country you roam in), enter the mobile number of the person you wish to call in Thailand. That person will then receive a text asking if s/he would like to receive your call. If s/he answers yes, your telephone will ring and you can commence your roaming call. You pay for the toll charges. The other party pays only for air time. I've only tried this with the other party also a 1-2-Call customer. I don't know how this works if the called number is land line.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 1:12 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bp888
The way international roaming works with 1-2-Call is a little bit complicated. From the country where you are roaming, you dial an access code (sorry, can't remember, but it will be texted to you in every country you roam in), enter the mobile number of the person you wish to call in Thailand. That person will then receive a text asking if s/he would like to receive your call. If s/he answers yes, your telephone will ring and you can commence your roaming call. You pay for the toll charges. The other party pays only for air time. I've only tried this with the other party also a 1-2-Call customer. I don't know how this works if the called number is land line.
Both Singtel and M1 (which I use) in Singapore have this option while roaming as well. At least with these 2 operators, its cheaper to make a call while roaming using this option since you are charged Sintel/M1 IDD rates (as they originate the call to both parties) instead of roaming rates of whichever country you're in. Considering the high IDD rates in Thailand, its probably not a big saving.

I would think more people are interested in receiving calls on the Thailand number while roaming in another country possibly because:

1. You give the 1-2-call number to your colleagues/family back home in the US/wherever and you can take a short trip out to Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos and still be contactable at the same number.

2. You have a girlfriend in Thailand who will be able to dial a local number to reach you.

3. Same as 2, but you don't want to give her your home/mobile number in the US/wherever because you don't want her to track you down
Old Apr 4, 2004, 1:25 am

Just remembered something else...

1-2-call rates are 4 baht per minute but after spending 25 baht in a day, the rate drops to 3 baht per minute for the rest of the day.

International SMS is still bloody expensive at 9 baht per SMS.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 5:18 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I have TH AIS 1-2-call as well
http://www.ais.co.th/eng
http://www.one-2-call.com

To change languages, promotions, and activate Int'l roaming call customer service at 1175

you can check balance and refil account WITHOUT calling in.

REFIL press '*120*xxxxxxxxxxxx#' and then send/call/yes (xxx=refil code of course)

BALANCE CHECK *121# send ... balance check can be done from anywhere... I check my balance from Canada regularly

1-2-Call default promotion is as stated above

- once 25 baht is spent in 24hrs, remaining domestic local calls are 25% off. With this promo, each 300 baht added to the account extends the validity 30 days beyond the previous date. (I use so much airtime, my account is constantly valid for 1 year - the maximum. Very convienient as I can keep the same number each year)

- other promos include one that has 2 week validity maximum. IIRC it doubles your airtime so 300baht refil card counts as 600 (& 500 = 1000 etc).

As for Int'l roaming. I called last year. They asked me what countries I wanted. (S'pore, Malasia, Vietnam, Canada, & USA) They then asked me a few quick questions and I was hooked up. Easier than I could immagine. Now the hardest part is keeping Baht in my account. I get charged to receive a call outside of Thailand at regular LD rates. I guess the same for making calls. Very simple!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.