Search

Tracking by Cell phone?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2003, 2:43 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Tracking by Cell phone?

There was a story in the NY Times over the weekend about being tracked online with your cell phone. It's over at

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/21/te...gy/21WATC.html

And included the following:

Mr. Bingham's parents use an AT&T service called Find Friend that lets them see his general location when his cellphone is on, based on the company's nearest cellular tower. He said his mother had at times asked him where he was and then used the service to see if he was telling the truth. He admits to turning the phone off occasionally when he doesn't want to be found.

and

That won't work in the Pratt household, in Garden City, N.Y., where Jason, 13, and Ashley, 11, were given new Nextel cellphones on the condition that they be kept on at all times. With uLocate, Tom Pratt set up his account on the company's Web site to establish a "geofence" around his home and his children's school. Every time the kids leave a 400-foot radius of either place, he gets an automatic e-mail alert: "Ashley has exited Home at 08:18 AM," read a typical message last week.

ulocate has a website that explains how they work and which phones they support, so that's OK, but I can't find anything at AT&T about their service. Anybody heard of it, or is the New York Times just making up stuff again?

Old Dec 26, 2003, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
http://www.attws.com/mmode/features/findit/FindFriends/
Old Dec 26, 2003, 4:09 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Thanks, I was under the impression somebody could go to a website and see where my phone was, but this phone to phone stuff is fairly cool too.

[This message has been edited by cordelli (edited Dec 26, 2003).]
Old Dec 27, 2003, 9:38 am

Time to start turning the phone off on business trips when not in use...didn't know I could be found on the golf course!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.