Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Laptop use in China

Laptop use in China

Old Dec 11, 02, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Laptop use in China

Hello readers,

I just purchased a new Toshiba S173 laptop for my trip to China (Shanghai) for personal use. I know the voltage is different, so I would need a transformer. Is there one that you would recommend? Is there anything else I would need to be able to use the laptop there, i.e. surge protector, for home use and internet access? I won't be staying at a hotel.

Thanks in advance!

Old Dec 11, 02, 9:27 pm

From Fodors on China:

To use your U.S.-purchased electric powered equipment, bring a converter and adapter. The electrical current in China is 220 volts, 50 cycles alternating current (AC); wall outlets take American-style plugs, with two flat parallel prongs; however they may not take the converter's one oversized prong, used for grounding, now in general use in the United States.

If your appliances are dual-voltage, you'll need only an adapter. Don't use 110-volt outlets, marked "For Shavers Only," for high-wattage appliances such as blow-dryers. Most laptops operate equally well on 110 and 220 volts and so require only an adapter.

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
http://www.biztrip.com
Old Dec 12, 02, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I just passed through Shanghai. They use the same power outlets as the British, so bring your UK power adapter. Most laptops can operate on either 110 or 220 Volts--please check yours--so you should be able to just bring your UK power adapter. I think most cell phones can also recharge from 220. In a pinch, you can recharge your computer battery in the shaver outlet as this doesn't draw too much power.

In my hotel, the phone plugs were standard issue US, so you probably won't need an adapter. My sprint ISP service worked just great using the local access number in Shanghai.

[This message has been edited by mikel51 (edited 12-12-2002).]
Old Dec 12, 02, 8:18 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Just about every laptop power supply I've seen will accept either 110-120 or 220-240 volts, 50 or 60 Hz. If in doubt look at the label. You'll need some sort of plug adapter but not a transformer.
Old Dec 12, 02, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
99% of the time the hotel will have the adapter you need.
Old Dec 14, 02, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
I would always recommend an adapter 'kit' when you travel internationally.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 15, 02, 4:05 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Check the power supply on the laptop, it's probably all set for 220 and 50 cycles, most are.

If it is, all you need is an adapter, you can get that anyplace travel supplies are sold, at Radio Shack, etc. You may as well get the set of adapters, five or six interconnecting things that cover just about every plug on the planet. Usually $10 for the set depending on where you get them.

If the laptop doesn't have 220 capabilities already, then you either need a voltage converter or a power supply for it that covers that volatge, which ever is less expensive (probably the converter).
Old Dec 17, 02, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually in China they use aboyut every type of plug you can imagine, UK three prong, European two round prong, US Flat (with holes), Flat w/o holes AND Australian type three "slanted". They have great power strips that accept everything which come very much in handy when you have a bunch of stuff acquired in different places (keeping in mind that everything in China is NOT 110.
Old Dec 17, 02, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
Hfly makes a good point, China is a big country, and can be a real hodge-podge of plug and outlet types. For more on this, see http://travel-advisor-online.com/china_power.htm

[This message has been edited by Sierra Kilo (edited 12-17-2002).]
Old Dec 19, 02, 10:39 pm

Has anyone used the Sprint Laptop Modem card in China?
Old Dec 22, 02, 3:11 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Radiocycle:
Has anyone used the Sprint Laptop Modem card in China?</font>
If you're speaking of the Sprint PCS CDMA modems, while China does have CDMA phone networks they are on the 800 Mhz band as opposed to the 1900. Also, I don't believe Sprint has any roaming agreement in China apart from the GSM roaming card they use (which I've never gotten to work).
Old Dec 26, 02, 8:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kanebear:
If you're speaking of the Sprint PCS CDMA modems, while China does have CDMA phone networks they are on the 800 Mhz band as opposed to the 1900. Also, I don't believe Sprint has any roaming agreement in China apart from the GSM roaming card they use (which I've never gotten to work).</font>

So, the answer is not to plan on using Sprint CDMA wieless modem cards in China, at least for now.

RC

Search this Thread
Search Engine: