Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Anyone use the Blackberry device?

Anyone use the Blackberry device?

Old Jul 24, 2001, 6:35 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Hello???? The 957 battery is internal...as in cannot be removed. Clearly you have the little pager one...

Dorian
Old Jul 25, 2001, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
>>Hello???<<

I'm here...are you? I was merely commenting on battery life. Yeah, yeah...save me the apples to oranges speech...I still got ya beat!

>>little pager one<<

Yup..."clearly" thats me! I looked at the larger unit, but declined. I much prefer the small unit's size. The functionality is identical, so whats the point? The non-removable battery that you love and more memory I suppose. The 957 is 5meg, and my 950 is 4meg. Even so I'm barely 15% full. I dont need the larger screen, as I dont mind scrolling. Besides, I have too much stuff to carry already!

Have you seen the new 5820 for the UK? 8 meg of flash, plus 1 meg of SRAM. Same size as yours, 11 grams lighter, and a backlit keyboard. Check out the specs.

PF

[This message has been edited by Pointfreak! (edited 07-25-2001).]
Old Jul 25, 2001, 2:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dorian:
As far as international goes...only BT has picked it up...but on a different network (GSM?)...not using the MobiTex network as in North America. I understand that the UK version will likely do voice!!!
</font>
My company is trialling them here in the UK. They use GPRS (Always on highish speed extension to GSM). No voice on the units we're using. No news on roaming yet!
Old Jul 26, 2001, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
&gt;&gt;GSM?&lt;&lt;

In the UK, they will use GPRS on 900mhz & 1800mhz.

From RIM:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPRS is a packet-switched network, designed for wireless data communication. GPRS supports fast point-to-point communication through wireless handhelds designed to enable an "always on" Internet connection. GPRS networks are operated by service providers such as BT Cellnet in the United Kingdom
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PF
Old Jul 28, 2001, 6:47 pm

zrs70,

You asked about AOL compatability. AOL markets the smaller sized Blackberry and calls it Mobile Communicator. I've had mine for about six months, and recently joined the MCbeta program which offers some nice software enhancements, including the ability to see more of a message before waiting for the entire e-mail to download.

One drawback of the AOL model is that it does not offer any of the PIM features, such as calendar or expanded address book. It DOES however offer AOL Instant Messaging, which is a neat feature. One can be notified whenever anyone in their IM buddy list comes online, and you can hold multiple IM sessions at a time.

All in all, a really neat gadget!! I've not been able to give up my Palm V yet, which I might if they would add PIM features.
Old Jul 31, 2001, 11:33 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Sounds like you really need the 957 model...but lose the AOL functionality.

Dorian

------------------
The Global Lounge Project - open source airline lounge listings - managed by Dorian
flyers'places - restaurant, bar & hotel tips - acquired by nFT
The Star Alliance RTW Price Chart - by Dorian
The Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart - by Blondebomber
Old Jul 31, 2001, 8:46 pm

I've thought of switching to the 957, but the AOL monthly price of about $20 (for existing AOL customers) is attractive in comparison with other service fees. If I could find another service provider with unlimited access rates of $20 per month I would lose the AOL service and move to a RIM957.
Old Aug 1, 2001, 9:11 am

&gt;&gt;AOL&lt;&lt;

Do you really use the IM capability during the day? While it does sound slick to have IM capability, I dont think I would want my "buddy list" having 24/7 access to me. I get enough messages from friends/family at work whenever I have an IM app loaded! Now, I just leave it off unless I'm trying to get in touch with someone. For the IM junkie though, it would be Heaven.

Does the AOL model have a way to disable this feature? $20/monthly/unlimited is a fantastic deal. I assume that includes unlimited internet E-mail? What about regular pager-like features. Can you get a telephone number or operator assisted page service?

PF
Old Aug 1, 2001, 8:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pointfreak!:
&gt;&gt;AOL&lt;&lt;

Do you really use the IM capability during the day?
Yes, I do use it. Recently someone on my buddy list signed on while travelling in Russia, and I was notified (I use the vibrating notification) and could communicate when he was online. If my IM access was tied down to my desktop, I would've missed the chance.

While it does sound slick to have IM capability, I dont think I would want my "buddy list" having 24/7 access to me. I get enough messages from friends/family at work whenever I have an IM app loaded! Now, I just leave it off unless I'm trying to get in touch with someone. For the IM junkie though, it would be Heaven.

One feature AOL offers is to send a notification message when someone IM's you (ie "I'm busy" or "I'm driving", etc)

Does the AOL model have a way to disable this feature? $20/monthly/unlimited is a fantastic deal. I assume that includes unlimited internet E-mail? Yes, unlimited e-mail

What about regular pager-like features. Can you get a telephone number or operator assisted page service? Not sure on this, but perhaps there would be another internet based service that would provide this. It's not part of what I see offered by AOL. I've enjoyed using halibot.com though to get instant info (ie weather, stocks, news) from the AOL Mobile Communicator.

PF
</font>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.