Cell Phone Rage Boils Over, But Solutions Are Scarce

Old Jul 27, 2001, 10:06 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Our friends at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration poured gasoline on a metaphorical car wreck earlier this week when they released a survey that suggested at any given time, about three percent of drivers are talking on hand-held cellular phones.

Three percent!

The NHTSA reported at least 500,000 drivers are chatting on their cell phones simultaneously during the daytime. Almost twice as many are kvetching during non-rush hours, the agency noted. It added that some form of driver distraction - including talking, eating, reading or even changing radio stations - is involved in 20 to 30 percent of all car crashes.

All that's missing, really, is for the readers of this column to light this figurative fire - which, after last week's column, I'm confident you're prepared to do. But instead of focusing on the hundreds of indignant responses, I'd like to present the possible solutions that some of you were kind enough to share with me.

To recap, here's what happened in the last exciting episode of the Travel Technologist. I reviewed two recent cell-phone related news events, including New York's decision to ban hand-held phones and a report of a woman on a Czech Airlines flight who was arrested for using her wireless device in mid-air. Reaction from the flying public was as swift as it was predictable. One faction thought any regulation of cell phones was stupid. The other half thought it was a great idea.

http://misc.biztravel.com/CPageUtil_...ion=BT3&ssnid=

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.