Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Large Insignia TV w/ built-in Fire TV streaming @ hotel

Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:36 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges
Original Poster

Our current brief hotel stay features a 55" Insignia brand TV with built-in Fire TV streaming! TV manufacture date is May, 2023. I was able to sign in to my Amazon account to use my personal home page, then installed Sling to watch my recorded sporting events. I keep a spare Fire TV stick in my travel backpack, but this is much less hassle, and the 55" size is awesome compared to what most hotel rooms have.

I don't often stay at hotels due to needing a kitchen to prepare meals for restricted diets, so I have no idea how common this might be. I'd love to see it become widespread.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:13 pm

Just curious, what type of hotel or where in the world is this? My knowledge is dated by 10 years at this point, but in the USA, hotels are required to use Pro:Idiom-encryption capable TVs, and Insignia doesn't make one.

Long story short, when HD TV started showing up in hotel rooms, ESPN, Disney, HBO, and others were afraid that guests would check into a hotel for the sole purpose of recording their content and redistribute it, and actually require that hotels encrypt the signals. Only these special hospitality-only TVs are supposed to be able to decrypt it. That's why hotels in the USA only have LG or Samsung TVs and are models you can't get in retail stores.

As an aisde, about 12 years ago, I was working on a failed IPTV system for a decent-size (260 room) hotel. The set-top boxes they had chosen had were fully capable of running Netflix. I went to Netflix with this, wanting to be able to put their product in the rooms and Netflix told me they weren't interested in any way, shape, or form. Now it's 2023 and practically every major hotel chain has it in the room.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 7:25 pm

I'm more curious about the wisdom of signing into a service on a random device. I don't subscribe to the paid streamers (or their devices), but I would rather plug in my own streaming device than trust a smart tv in a random hotel. What happens if you forget to sign out? Or the fact that you don't control the OS on the tv. For me, the hassle of having to carry your own device is not as bad as getting an account hacked...

That said, I don't know what security those streaming sticks have... But I'd rather hook up my laptop to logging into the tv.
TGarza, Jimmie76 and bchandler02 like this.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 12:07 pm

I always travel with a Roku Streaming Stick (lightweight) or TiVO streaming stick w/full TiVO remote. Carrying your own device makes sense for frequent travelers, but I can see infrequent travelers using whatever the hotel provides.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by KRSW
Just curious, what type of hotel or where in the world is this? My knowledge is dated by 10 years at this point, but in the USA, hotels are required to use Pro:Idiom-encryption capable TVs, and Insignia doesn't make one.

Long story short, when HD TV started showing up in hotel rooms, ESPN, Disney, HBO, and others were afraid that guests would check into a hotel for the sole purpose of recording their content and redistribute it, and actually require that hotels encrypt the signals. Only these special hospitality-only TVs are supposed to be able to decrypt it. That's why hotels in the USA only have LG or Samsung TVs and are models you can't get in retail stores.

As an aisde, about 12 years ago, I was working on a failed IPTV system for a decent-size (260 room) hotel. The set-top boxes they had chosen had were fully capable of running Netflix. I went to Netflix with this, wanting to be able to put their product in the rooms and Netflix told me they weren't interested in any way, shape, or form. Now it's 2023 and practically every major hotel chain has it in the room.
Probably a big meh these days. If Disney et al are worried about people stealing their content, they have millions of consumer TVs out there that could potentially record it. I'm not seeing anything specific in law or regulation that prohibits a hotel from using consumer grade TVs.

In 2023, who records anything anyway? Everything's on demand.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Marriott allows you to sign into streaming services at most of their properties. One of the Hyatt Place properties has HDMIs designed for the guest to plug something into the TV.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW

Streaming services pushed hotels to make changes with their in room TVs. Guests want the ability to view personal streaming services. I am at a Holiday Inn Express using my Firestick to watch NetFlix.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:13 pm

About half the Airbnbs and hotels (with smart apps TVs) I've stay at someone forgot to sign out of their account. It's usually Netflix. As a courtesy I make sure to sign them out........when we leave.

Otherwise, I'll just use my own Firestick.
TGarza and KRSW like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by JackMackey
About half the Airbnbs and hotels (with smart apps TVs) I've stay at someone forgot to sign out of their account. It's usually Netflix. As a courtesy I make sure to sign them out........when we leave.

Otherwise, I'll just use my own Firestick.
Exactly the point I brought up before. I don't use a firestick, but I have a mini PC specifically for this now vs. connecting my laptop.

That said, with the streamers cracking down on passwords, I'm wondering if they have an option to sign existing logins out (I don't use any of them so I have no idea)
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Exactly the point I brought up before. I don't use a firestick, but I have a mini PC specifically for this now vs. connecting my laptop.

That said, with the streamers cracking down on passwords, I'm wondering if they have an option to sign existing logins out (I don't use any of them so I have no idea)
Netflix has a Sign Out of All Devices option on their website. Not sure about others but would guess they have something similar.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The built-in Netflix app in Marriott TVs forces you to restart the TV and sign in again, even if you're only gone a few hours. An annoyance but good they thought of that.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
What happens if you forget to sign out? Or the fact that you don't control the OS on the tv. For me, the hassle of having to carry your own device is not as bad as getting an account hacked...
In larger chains/hotels, you'll often find TVs connected to the PMS, showing your name when you enter the room, and having "messaging" and "view bill" features. In those TVs, any credentials used for streaming services will be automatically cleared when the next guest for that room checks in. OTOH, smaller individual hotels and Airbnbs will not have such a system.

With regards to having a streaming service account "hacked" by not having your credentials cleared, the worst they really could do is see your name streaming history and stream on your account, which may generate new unwanted suggestions in your recommendations. They won't be able to find your password or anything like that.

Originally Posted by TGarza
Streaming services pushed hotels to make changes with their in room TV's. Guests want the ability to view personal streaming services. I am at a Holiday Inn Express using my Firestick to watch NetFlix.
I love how you all seem to have such easy access to the HDMI ports on TV. The things I had to do to get access to HDMI ports in some of these hotels that wall-mount their TVs in very "creative" ways in some enclosure, all while making sure not to break anything. And as suggested by the amount of dust I often encounter, I seem to be pretty odd for doing that.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by mozilla

I love how you all seem to have such easy access to the HDMI ports on TV. The things I had to do to get access to HDMI ports in some of these hotels that wall-mount their TVs in very "creative" ways in some enclosure, all while making sure not to break anything. And as suggested by the amount of dust I often encounter, I seem to be pretty odd for doing that.
Its an issue for sure but whats worse is when neither the TV or Remote has a button to change the input source
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:15 am

In larger chains/hotels, you'll often find TVs connected to the PMS, showing your name when you enter the room, and having "messaging" and "view bill" features. In those TVs, any credentials used for streaming services will be automatically cleared when the next guest for that room checks in. OTOH, smaller individual hotels and Airbnbs will not have such a system.

With regards to having a streaming service account "hacked" by not having your credentials cleared, the worst they really could do is see your name streaming history and stream on your account, which may generate new unwanted suggestions in your recommendations. They won't be able to find your password or anything like that.
This still seems like a security risk. The first part being it has PII sent to a room where you haven't authenticated yourself (I'm assuming you don't enter any credentials before you get to that point). What if it's sent to the wrong room? Or someone else enters the room? This doesn't seem to have been thought out very well.

As for the second part, as I said, I don't use those streaming services (and I carry my own devices). Pretty sure if someone wants to gather information about a given user, there are ways to do it. I could also think of a few other uses for meta data that you could in theory gather from those systems.

Depends on the property you're staying at. Most I have stayed at usually have an "open" system. No cabinet or anything. And I've gotten quite adept at using my phone as a viewscreen to direct the cable if it's wall mounted and the plugs are recessed.
TGarza likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by JackMackey
Its an issue for sure but whats worse is when neither the TV or Remote has a button to change the input source
Peel smart remote for iOS and Android works for changing input source on some TVs with this setup.
JackMackey likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.