Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile set to force customers to more expensive plans (decision now rescinded)

T-Mobile set to force customers to more expensive plans (decision now rescinded)

Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

T-Mobile is about to move quite a few customers to new, more expensive, cellphone plans very soon. Customer notifications are set to begin ctober 17. This will be done on an auto opt-in basis. This means that if you don't want them to switch you you will have to call in, listen to their spiel about all the new features you'll get, and then ask them to opt you out.

I found this image on Reddit:

The T-Mobile's script for customer-facing representatives has dublespeak like this: "We are not raising the price of any of our plans; we are moving you to a newer plan with more benefits at a different cost."

Last edited by Xyzzy; Oct 11, 2023 at 12:32 am
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:50 am

Well, looking at it, TM is at least referencing it as an opt-out to the upgrades (any company which tries to use auto opt-in for something like this should be slapped). Still, just asking for trouble in my mind, perhaps a class-action waiting to happen or at least a slap from the FCC/FTC.

I still have a PAYG line with them wonder when they will ultimately force me out or to Boost.

Last edited by crackjack; Oct 11, 2023 at 1:04 am
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:51 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA Silver
Will be interesting to see as I just dumped internet due to lousy connections. Like my magenta 55+ for 3 phones. However any problems and I'll move to Cox who now has my internet.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
I'm waiting to hear what "benefits" they think they can offer me. I'm certain they wn't be able to tell me what the new plan will actually cost me, though. T-Mobile has never been able to do so in the past when trying to entice me to switch. One time it took them until the next day to give me an estimate of the cost of a new plan that they suggested -- which was double what I was (and still am) paying. No thank you!
Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:18 am

Verizon did this to me automatically years ago without notification. I had signed up for a plan with unlimited service and they then said "We think XXX is plenty" when they put a cap on it. AT&T also cut my data from unlimited to 5Gb a month with a price increase after a while with them.

Seems to be business as usual with telcos, but I will "Opt Out" as soon as possible or perhaps migrate to an MVNO and an occasional roaming sim for travel. Dual esims make this so much less of an issue with unlocked current phones in my mind. Also, roaming prices seem to be declining noticeably since the travel health screening has diminished.

Edited to add: I did a chat with a rep from my T-Mobile app this morning regarding this issue. The rep was not too convincing and probably just using the script I've seen on line. It was settled in a few minutes and I had the "grnoptout" code added to all lines on my account. I verified on my account that it was present with a check mark for each line. So, it seems I have bypassed/blocked the forced migration to Go5G from my ONE plan. I will be monitoring this closely, but on Reddit several other members posted the same experience and outcome today also. My guarded opinion is, it's not a big deal so far.

Last edited by draver; Oct 11, 2023 at 12:19 pm
Old Oct 13, 2023, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by crackjack
Well, looking at it, TM is at least referencing it as an opt-out to the upgrades (any company which tries to use auto opt-in for something like this should be slapped). Still, just asking for trouble in my mind, perhaps a class-action waiting to happen or at least a slap from the FCC/FTC.

I still have a PAYG line with them wonder when they will ultimately force me out or to Boost.
Whats the difference between opt-out and auto opt-in? Either way if you do nothing you get moved.

T-Mobile sucks. Every promise they make, they cant keep. My Free Data for Life quickly became Free Data only for the life of that device and shortly thereafter got auto-cancelled. I must have failed to opt out of auto-cancellation.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 5:52 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Wonder if this will apply to the magenta 55+ plan?
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
It is in the image at the start of the thread, so I would assume yes.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I also have the Magenta+ 55 senior plan and this will be affecting us - but my strategy is to refuse the change. I am only pausing to consider the $650 vs $1,000 trade-in for the iPhone if I switch to the new 55 senior plan for $10/m more, although we have two lines, so it seems if I'm reading the release correctly, it will cost us an extra $20/month in total. So even looking at the $350 difference in trade-in value for the phone, spread over 24 months, we're still behind the curve on cost, plus the added expense after 24 months.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I also have the Magenta+ 55 senior plan and this will be affecting us - but my strategy is to refuse the change. I am only pausing to consider the $650 vs $1,000 trade-in for the iPhone if I switch to the new 55 senior plan for $10/m more, although we have two lines, so it seems if I'm reading the release correctly, it will cost us an extra $20/month in total. So even looking at the $350 difference in trade-in value for the phone, spread over 24 months, we're still behind the curve on cost, plus the added expense after 24 months.
You know, Apple does trade-ins on phones that do nt involve your phone carrier at all. I have no idea whether they are competitive, but that is another option. But I'd ask myself what exactly the additional $10/month will buy you because you're likely to have that additional expense for far longer than the iPhone you switch to.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 10:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
You know, Apple does trade-ins on phones that do nt involve your phone carrier at all. I have no idea whether they are competitive, but that is another option. But I'd ask myself what exactly the additional $10/month will buy you because you're likely to have that additional expense for far longer than the iPhone you switch to.
The Apple trade-in value is the same $650 - so the TMobile trade-in is much better with the higher cost plan, but I'm not in a hurry, perhaps Apple will sweeten the deal closer to the holidays if IP15 sales don't meet expectations.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Whats the difference between opt-out and auto opt-in? Either way if you do nothing you get moved.
There is no such thing as auto opt-in, that would definitely be doublespeak. Call it what it is, an opt-out, i.e. a forced change requiring an action on the part of clients (who are aware of the option and disagree) to opt-out.

Last edited by crackjack; Oct 14, 2023 at 7:38 pm
Old Oct 16, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
I had them add the optout SOC to my account, but all my lines are either One Plus Promo or One Plus International, so we'll see what happens.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What do the TI and TE mean in the plan names?

They're moving some people *to* the Magenta plan and other people *out* of the same Magenta plan. How does that make any sense at all?

I'm beginning to think we need to move on from T-Mobile. Being hit with a round of price increases unless we gave them direct access to a bank account is bad enough, especially given how careless they've proven themselves at taking care of our data.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
What do the TI and TE mean in the plan names?

They're moving some people *to* the Magenta plan and other people *out* of the same Magenta plan. How does that make any sense at all?

I'm beginning to think we need to move on from T-Mobile. Being hit with a round of price increases unless we gave them direct access to a bank account is bad enough, especially given how careless they've proven themselves at taking care of our data.
While I don't disagree with the growing frustration with T-Mobile changes over time, the whole "direct access to a bank account" is a red herring. You don't have to give T-Mobile direct access to your bank account, simply use a Visa/MC debit card tied to your checking account. Visa/MC debit cards abstract away your account details, etc. and provide reasonable consumer protections against fraud/misuse just as credit card does (perhaps not a strong as protections as credit cards, but strong enough for this use case).

Nobody has to give direct, ACH access to their account when a debit card can be used instead. I usually find the whole "I refuse to give T-Mobile direct access to my bank account" is more code for "I don't want to use a debit card because I'm mad that I won't earn credit card points."

Regards
pudgym29 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.