Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon Rolls Out Unlimited Ultimate @ $90

Old Aug 30, 2023, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Verizon has just added a new plan that includes 60Gb of hotspot, and more importantly, 10Gb of high speed data roaming per month with included calling & texts for over 200 countries.

Here is a link to Tomsguide.com with more details.

New Verizon Plan

Edited to add: This plan becomes available on 8-31 and does not appear on their website that I could locate this AM.
TGarza likes this.

Last edited by draver; Aug 30, 2023 at 8:55 am
Old Aug 30, 2023, 2:43 pm

i have been waiting for this for years!! AT&T had this for $15 more a month.. https://www.att.com/international/long-distance/
is this $75 more per month?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:19 pm

The Verizon plan seems more expensive than buying a local esim. For my $40 AT&T plan, I purchase a local esim and configure IMS to use my AT&T number with no international roaming for my 6 or so international trips.

I would need more frequent international trips to justify the plan with the convenience of not purchasing an esim. Most of my trips the esim is less than $30.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

I could see this having value to someone in a travel crew, like airline employees. No worries about data or calls anywhere. I would suspect anyone who needs to keep in touch while roaming for work would probably have a service provided for, or reimbursed by their employer however.

I agree most of us who are leisure travelers don't need a full time roaming plan. Many of us probably have learned how to deal with our roaming needs over the years. Flyertalk has possibly been a big part of our education and game plan from the experiences related or discovered on this very site.
TGarza likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigluzer
i have been waiting for this for years!! AT&T had this for $15 more a month.. https://www.att.com/international/long-distance/
is this $75 more per month?
My interpretation is this plan is for calling TO the US, not from it. It provides for 20Gb of roaming data, and unlimited calling to over 200 countries that are not the US.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by draver
Flyertalk has possibly been a big part of our education and game plan from the experiences related or discovered on this very site.
FT has definitely been educational for sim/esim options for different countries. I dont remember if I learned about IMS here or on Howards.
draver likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 12:35 pm

I could see this being something I was interested in if I traveled just a little more than I do. As it is right now, I'm on the plan that lets me acquire 1 travel pass day a month and bank up to 12 of them. Generally that's been enough for my travel patterns. Not having to deal with getting a sim (although esim definitely changes that some), and then with my travel routine often being cruises, I've found finding a single sim that covers some of the places I go to be not that easy (I've never found something I've been happy with for the Caribbean as an example). The convenience of it just plain working more or less everywhere would be nice.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cardsqc
I could see this being something I was interested in if I traveled just a little more than I do. As it is right now, I'm on the plan that lets me acquire 1 travel pass day a month and bank up to 12 of them. Generally that's been enough for my travel patterns. Not having to deal with getting a sim (although esim definitely changes that some), and then with my travel routine often being cruises, I've found finding a single sim that covers some of the places I go to be not that easy (I've never found something I've been happy with for the Caribbean as an example). The convenience of it just plain working more or less everywhere would be nice.
If you would consider a carrier change, you will find that T-Mobile covers nearly all Caribbean cruise locations, and their US coverage has been expanding their 5G service rapidly in the past year or two. I have a grandfathered plan that also gets 5Gb of data at their advertised "215+ Countries", and so far Cuba is the only location that is not included. We cruise in the Caribbean at least once a year and if you buy a ship WiFi package, the on board WiFi calling works well 99% of the time. I have made free calls on board to US numbers for 20-30 minutes that sounded like a land line. T-M has a 90 day free trial you can use to check your local coverage while in the US.

I also use IMS feature on our phones on T-Mobile, so we get 24/7 voice service in the supported countries. This can be gained two ways. Dual sim phones with two lines work independently, two separate phones traveling together can hotspot each other for included US WiFi calling. This gives free calling to and from US numbers while roaming in the included 215 countries.

Here is a list of Caribbean countries covered by TM included roaming service:

Antigua and Barbuda, Haiti, Aruba, Anguilla, Jamaica, Bahamas, Martinique, Barbados, Mexico, Bermuda, Montserrat, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Netherlands Antilles, St. Lucia, Cayman Islands, St. Barthelemy, Curacao (Netherlands/Dutch Antilles), Sint Maarten, St. Kitts and Nevis, Dominica, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominican Republic, St. Martin, Grenada, Trinidad and Tobago, Guadeloupe, Turks and Caicos Islands. Also US Territories Puerto Rico and The US Virgin Islands get native US service.

I've had a spare or main line from T-Mobile since around 2014 after they introduced their included roaming service in 2013 I believe. I went all in, in 2017 and currently have 12 lines with other family members on my plan. It has just gotten better and better since then.
Xyzzy and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 6:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This Verizon offer wont get me to bite, as its too expensive for me. There are cheaper alternatives that work for me and are not all that inconvenient for me given the dual-SIM/eSIM options out there that work for data connectivity while T-Mobile does the rest for me.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 8:51 am

If you would consider a carrier change, you will find that T-Mobile covers nearly all Caribbean cruise locations, and their US coverage has been expanding their 5G service rapidly in the past year or two. I have a grandfathered plan that also gets 5Gb of data at their advertised "215+ Countries", and so far Cuba is the only location that is not included. We cruise in the Caribbean at least once a year and if you buy a ship WiFi package, the on board WiFi calling works well 99% of the time. I have made free calls on board to US numbers for 20-30 minutes that sounded like a land line. T-M has a 90 day free trial you can use to check your local coverage while in the US.
Not to get to get into the whole fight of who's network is better or not, but quite honestly, I know too many people around me that always seem to have problems with connectivity with t-mobile to seriously consider them. While I think in general most carriers coverage is fine in large cities and along expressways, I still feel verizon has better coverage in a lot of remote places (that I've been known to visit) than the other carriers. It's not by as wide a margin as it used to be, but for me, it's enough to keep me on their network. (Heck, even the college campus I work on, especially inside buildings, there can be some pretty big variations on signal capability. The one I work in, I'd probably say AT&T can be almost impossible to get a signal in, tmobile is probably second best, and I can generally get verizon even in the basement where nothing else works. Nowadays with wifi calling it's not as big a deal, although realistically, in our building the wifi network was only redone pretty recently to be reliable in all the rooms, up to that point, it could be very spotty in places. For whatever reason, the info I'd heard from the telecomm folks on campus was that verizon was also always far more willing to work with them to get better coverage on campus than the other providers. No idea why that was true, and no idea whether that's changed recently or not either.)

Doesn't mean I particularly like their prices these days. I also get annoyed that all the carriers seem to price things best for people with 4 lines, and only needing 2, that gets frustrating.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

That's fair and I understand the dilemma of carrier coverage. One thing that some overlook is how recently 5G service became available and how much T-Mobile has built out their 5G service. There is a Costco close by that when I had AT&T, the service was spotty at best and not much better after switching to T-Mobile. After 5G came to the area, I get around 400Mbps inside now. Apple only offered 5G iPhones beginning with the 12 series in late 2011, and other brands even later on. At current prices, I get that a lot of people don't see the need to upgrade their 2-3 year old Samsung, etc. that still works fine. Trust me, 5G is a real game changer in many areas I have visited, and is only going to become more prevalent for T-Mobile subscribers. I believe it is the big reason T-Mobile has been giving away 5G phones for the past year or so. I've gotten 5 free so far.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 8:37 pm

I

I also use IMS feature on our phones on T-Mobile, so we get 24/7 voice service in the supported countries. This can be gained two ways. Dual sim phones with two lines work independently, two separate phones traveling together can hotspot each other for included US WiFi calling. This gives free calling to and from US numbers while roaming in the included 215 countries.

Here is a list of Caribbean countries covered by TM included roaming service:

You can also make calls using the phone's cellular data using T-mobile's DIGITS app. Just set up DIGITS after you leave the US.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
You can also make calls using the phone's cellular data using T-mobile's DIGITS app. Just set up DIGITS after you leave the US.
Is DIGITS similar to Google Voice?
Old Sep 16, 2023, 10:26 am
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Is DIGITS similar to Google Voice?
Only in some ways. What TMo does is, it allows you to get a number purely for Digits or even add one of your existing numbers to the Digits system. Once yo do that, you can make and receive calls through the Digits app as long you have access to the Internet.

You may recall that TMo had very poor coverage back in the days and this was their way to get you to be on TMo without complaining about coverage. Their cellspots, wifi calling were all investments that were born out of their efforts to overcome the coverage problems.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much are the Verizon's carrier-imposed "fees" that are not included in the $90 monthly cost?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.