Macbook Air 15

Old Jun 15, 2023, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Macbook Air 15

Just curious if anyone has seen one of these new Macbook Air 15 laptops in the wild yet, as I am considering this to update my 2016 Macbook Pro. The nearest Apple store is quite a drive, so I don't want to go out there if they are not in stores yet, or the consensus is they don't look great (screen quality or otherwise).
Old Jun 15, 2023, 11:26 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I'm tempted, but my girlfriend's work M2 MacBook Air gets extremely warm. I would be inclined to wait on the reviews to see if that issue has been addressed.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 1:15 am

Bad thermal performance is usually poor hardware design. They might be able to tweak the OS to use less CPU at idle, but load up a web browser or other programs and the bad thermal engineering will show up again.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 1:51 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
It seems to be Adobe Acrobat Pro that brings out the worst in the machine, I note the version they're licensed for is Intel so I don't know if Rosetta is putting extra strain on the machine but it is physically uncomfortable to handle after running OCR on a document of any length.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 3:03 pm

I'm still running an ancient version of Acrobat. Is Acrobat multi-threaded now? It's only single-thread on my version, so it loads up the CPU but barely.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:54 am

Replaced my 2017 15" MBP with one and am loving it so far. The only thing I dislike is the magsafe and USB ports are all on the left side which is annoying because where I use it most of the time the power outlet is on the right side. I also miss one thing about the touch bar -- the ability to have a dedicated lock screen button. You can press the power/touch id button to lock the screen but I liked the touch bar button better for that. All in all for my uses the Air is more than a worthy replacement for my old MBP.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I went to see one yesterday in the store - the dark color is very striking indeed - but for some reason I expected the device to be far thinner and lighter than it turned out to be. I was comparing the Air to the Macbook Pro nearby and there was noticeable, but not really significant weight reduction, and the thickness was somewhat similar. I am concerned about losing 2 ports unless I can daisy-chain using an adapter, but I appreciate the lock function is now a button as I've accidentally brushing the lock screen "button" on my Pro touchbar and locked the screen enough times when I didn't want to.

The lack of internal cooling is concerning as some software products can just start running away with the CPU for no reason - just this morning my Amazon Workspace client had my MBP fans on full blast as it suddenly took over the processor for no apparent reason.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
I am thinking of upgrading, but I'm on the fence as to whether to get the 13- or 15-inch.

I've almost always had a 15-inch Macbook Pro (early 2008, 2011, and mid-2015 models). I used to lug it everywhere including planes and trains, but I got so tired of its clunkiness and hostility to fitting on tray tables that I bought a base model iPad a few years ago. I now only travel with the iPad, which is perfectly fine for what I need on the road, and I only use my clunky 15-inch laptop at home. I love how light the iPad is. It's perfect for watching movies on a plane and some light-to-medium web browsing.

I'm tempted to go for a 13-inch MacBook Air so I can at least have the option to travel somewhat easily with a laptop. If I do, though, then I wonder if the smaller 13-inch screen will drive me crazy at home when I've been so used to a bigger screen for so many years. I, too, looked at the 15-inch at the Apple store over the weekend and was somewhat surprised that it didn't feel substantially smaller, thinner, or lighter than my 2015-era 15-inch MacBook Pro.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 9:08 am

I went into the Apple Store yesterday as my AirPods were making squeaky noises, was addressed by doing a reset, all is well. I have an older 12” MacBook which is working fine for my needs. I looked at the new 15” MacBook Air, it’s heavy, but thin. They have a nice deep gold color. I’m trying to save up for my retirement vacation, so no new MacBook in my future for now.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The lack of internal cooling is concerning as some software products can just start running away with the CPU for no reason - just this morning my Amazon Workspace client had my MBP fans on full blast as it suddenly took over the processor for no apparent reason.
Does your MBP have an Apple Silicon processor? If not, my fans would spin up all the time on my MBP with the Intel processor but none of the M1 or M2 Mac devices I've used have caused the fans (if they had them) to spin up. I don't use my MacBook Air for processor intensive stuff but even if it's a non-native ARM application being virtualized through Rosetta, the apps seem to be much better performing and more efficient than Intel based Macs.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cerps343
Does your MBP have an Apple Silicon processor? If not, my fans would spin up all the time on my MBP with the Intel processor but none of the M1 or M2 Mac devices I've used have caused the fans (if they had them) to spin up. I don't use my MacBook Air for processor intensive stuff but even if it's a non-native ARM application being virtualized through Rosetta, the apps seem to be much better performing and more efficient than Intel based Macs.
It's an old Intel chip Macbook
Old Jun 20, 2023, 3:38 pm

Finally received mine earlier this week- 16GB memory/512 storage. So far so good- coming from a 15" MBP and it's been a long time since I've needed power. Battery life and portability are most important now that I'm carrying around two laptops on travel (work and personal). Keyboard is also much improved over the first-gen butterfly switches

One concern I have is I often pick up computers with one hand while they're open- but the MBA is so thin that I worry about flexing/bending
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I can't say this enough, but Apple Silicon is basically the best thing since sliced bread. I have a 16" M1 Max MBP and I have yet to hear the fans spin up (does this even have a fan?) and I do some pretty serious computing with it locally (software developer). I don't think it's ever been "hot" to the touch either, maybe warm at best. Also the first laptop I've ever had where the battery life actually met the advertised spec. I routinely get 10-12 hours of real usage whereas previous iterations died after about 2 hours.

Friend of mine just ordered a 15" Air, so I'd expect much the same user experience in a smaller/lighter package. I will say that 15" is a bit unwieldy for economy tray tables, so that's an argument for the 13"/14" models.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
I also miss one thing about the touch bar -- the ability to have a dedicated lock screen button. You can press the power/touch id button to lock the screen but I liked the touch bar button better for that.
I've always used Hot Corners (System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Hot Corners button on the bottom of the box) to handle this on my Mac. Might be in a different location on your system; I'm still stuck on OS X 10.11.6.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I can't say this enough, but Apple Silicon is basically the best thing since sliced bread.
This is true, *if* you can live within an ARM environment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.