Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Vonage (Home VoIP) Alternatives - Crazy Taxes and Fees

Old May 26, 2023, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I wonder who still has Vonage and what the deal is with the taxes and fees.

I have 2 lines + a virtual number. So, the base is $16.99 + $16.99 + $4.99 = $38.97, then:

Surcharges $15.95:
Emergency 911 and Information Services Fee $3.98
Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property Fee $11.97

Government Mandated Taxes & Fees $17.37:
Local Telecommunications Sales Tax $3.04
State Telecommunications Sales Tax $3.63
County Telecommunications Sales Tax $0.45
Federal Program Fee $9.85
State 911 Fee $0.40

$15.95 + $17.37 = $33.32 + $38.97 Base = $72.29 Total

I personally still prefer to have a landline of sort and I like some of its features (Voicemail notification, Extensions App, Boomerang, etc.) However, the taxes and fees are getting crazy.

I know there are ways to "simulate" or "bridge" mobile phones to home systems and I wonder if I should move toward that direction or find a cheaper VoIP provider that is not tied to a cable company...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old May 26, 2023, 6:32 pm

I moved our home line from Vonage to T Mobile then Google Voice. I used a GV adapter to ring the home system which is no longer supported. Now we just have an old iPhone SE using WiFi and the GV app as a home phone. GV rings on my wifes and my cell.

T Mobile discontinued new signups for the $3 plan since people used the plan as I did and to have port in number for the free phone promotions. A friend used Ultra Mobile to make the same GV move from Vonage
Old May 27, 2023, 9:50 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by username
I wonder who still has Vonage and what the deal is with the taxes and fees....Any thoughts?
Vonage was one of the first full service alternatives to Ma Bell, but I got rid of Vonage 10 years ago due to the ever increasing fees and taxes. I have Magic Jack now and it is more reliable than I would have expected. Cost is $43 per year and 911 service is an additional 3 bucks per year (varies by location). Also comes with a mobile app that I mostly use rather than the wired phone.
TGarza and GUWonder like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 8:17 pm

Don't have any skin in the game, but I use Ooma Telo as my landline. I pay something like C$5 a month total. Better than the C$50+ that our version of Ma Bell wanted to charge. I don't think I get 911 on it, but considering I usually have my cell phone on hand, not much of an issue.
Old May 29, 2023, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks!

What I don't get is how come Vonage charges all the fees but others don't or charge much less.

I remember both Ooma and Magic Jack. I guess the fact they are also still around means they are kind of halfway decent also...
Old May 29, 2023, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by username
Thanks!

What I don't get is how come Vonage charges all the fees but others don't or charge much less.

I remember both Ooma and Magic Jack. I guess the fact they are also still around means they are kind of halfway decent also...
Because they can. There are tradeoffs of course, but most of them can be mitigated. For my use case, it's plenty. The only thing I wish I had.... Voicemail that is forwarded to me as email.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 11:34 pm

I'd recommend Ooma. I also was with Vonage waaay back in the day and quite a fan of it at the time. I eventually went with wholesale SIP providers for our office and ported my phone numbers to the office PBX, so it ended up costing me about $2/mo.

My parents have condos on Fort Myers Beach, which were rendered uninhabitable by Cat 5 Hurricane Ian in September 2022. This also took out CenturyLink. Seeing the writing on the wall, I set my parents up with Ooma's LTE product so we can use it anywhere. They currently have it sitting at their temporary home. It's been great so far. Also, having the Ooma app has been a blessing, so they have access to the home phone line and home voicemail on their mobile phones and tablet.

Our cost is $27/mo out the door, which includes the 4G service and taxes. For contrast, CenturyLink's "basic" phone service was $57/mo.

If we back out the LTE charges, it'd be about $6/mo for Ooma service, including taxes and fees. You can look up the taxes and fees ahead of time here: https://www.ooma.com/home-phone-serv...lator-position Ooma has a high porting fee ($40) but that's waived if you go for their $9/mo Premier package, which will give you 2 lines like you have now. If worse comes to worse, sign up for premium for a year, then dump it after the year is up. As long as you have the premium plan for a year, no porting fees.
username and GUWonder like this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 4:54 am

I had no idea Vonage was still around. Used it about 15 years ago and I remember the horrible latency.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.