Wiki Posts
Search

T-Mobile Ending Autopay Discount for Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
People are hoping that we will be able to make a manual cc payment for most of the bill before the auto-payment date and then the auto-payment for the rest will still give us the credit. We'll need to see if that works.<snip>
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I like it!<snip>
Just be aware, as discussed earlier in this thread, that Verizon explicitly disallows this approach and AT&T also disallowed it when they had this in place. Thus, it's very likely T-Mobile will also block this strategy. Obviously, we don't know yet, but Occam's Razor would say they'll do "what the other guys did," so I wouldn't get too excited yet.

One other method that will be interesting to see is that T-Mobile does allow you to setup autopay via Apple Pay (for those in the iOS ecosystem). However, there are several unknowns for that path; 1) will it trigger the autopay discount, 2) would it code as 5X for Chase Ink card or would the "vendor" be seen as Paypal not TMo and finally, 3) similar to #2 if using Paypal would that invalidate the Cell Phone insurance coverage as the "vendor" is Paypal not TMo? Just don't know the answer to these questions yet, but we'll find out soon enough.

Regards
NYC Flyer, Xyzzy and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by draver
One possible way to lower your bill is for the second person on the current billing to open a new account that receives the "Insider" discount. It gives a 20% discount and should reduce your current charges by $28. You may even get a third line free if you time it right. I did this when new accounts were offering good deals in 2017. I used my wife's SSN to open a ONE account with a port in from a Google Voice number. Once it was open we did a Change Of Responsibility (COR) and brought 10 lines over from my Simple Choice account. We have had 12 lines ever since, and my bill is less than yours is now. I have several promotions and features no longer available for new accounts, but the originals remain.
Interesting idea. Did your free lines and all your discount transfer over to your wife's account?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 11:37 am

This was before I gained 3 of the free lines in 2020 & 2021. The first one was in 2017 with the port in to open the account. I previously had 10 voice lines on Simple Choice. Some of those dropped off, and were replaced by free lines as they became available. 12 is the maximum total allowed on ONE accounts, so the new account port in + free line + 10 COR lines maxed me out until a few original lines quit. I currently have 5 family members on my account that pay me $12.50 a month for service. That reduces my personal bill by $62.50 per month. We have 7 lines for the 2 of us, and our charges for those is about $55 a month. That includes Netflix, airline data & global 5Gb high speed data per line and a few other perks. I have a sweet deal, but there are others that are doing MUCH BETTER.
Old May 25, 2023, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
From one of the Reddit threads came this interesting suggestion -- allegedly frm customer service:
"I totally understand that you want an autopay discount with your credit card. AutoPay can still be set up through Apple Pay/Google Pay."
Originally Posted by scubadu
<snip>One other method that will be interesting to see is that T-Mobile does allow you to setup autopay via Apple Pay (for those in the iOS ecosystem). However, there are several unknowns for that path; 1) will it trigger the autopay discount, 2) would it code as 5X for Chase Ink card or would the "vendor" be seen as Paypal not TMo and finally, 3) similar to #2 if using Paypal would that invalidate the Cell Phone insurance coverage as the "vendor" is Paypal not TMo? Just don't know the answer to these questions yet, but we'll find out soon enough.

Regards
Just as an update to this, I've noticed two things:

1) The banners stating that the autopay discount would require a debit card or linked bank account seem to have gone away. Have no idea what that means. The app still says I'm saving "$15 per month via autopay" and I still have a credit card as the payment method. My payment for May should occur tomorrow, so I guess we'll see what happens.

2) I've reviewed the updated terms/conditions for Autopay and it seems to pretty clearly state that the Apple Pay idea (quoted above) likely will not work; it explicitly states digital wallets don't count for the Autopay discount.
Source: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/account/autopay
"Payment method must be a debit card or linked bank account. Credit cards and digital wallets (Apply Pay/Google Pay) are not eligible."

I thought the Apple Pay approach might actually work if for no other reason than T-Mobile has been consistently pumped as a partner for 3% cashback via the Apple Card, which is clearly a credit card. Seems like Apple wouldn't be to happy about this, but perhaps it falls too far below the "care about" line...

Regards
Xyzzy likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 2:09 am

I’ve had a personal cell phone since 1995, and have never broken one, so the credit card coverage is not too important to me. Also, my limited research indicates many cards coverage is limited to a $650 cap, regardless of the phone cost. My iPhone 14 Pro Max lists for $1,199 with 256Gb memory.

I have added a no overdraft debit card to a checking account I use at a credit union for small payments. It limits my liability to the amount on deposit, and I can make deposits via phone transfer. I will maintain my $40 a month auto pay credit this way with little fuss & bother.

Last summer T-Mobile gifted the 12 lines on my account with the free 5Gb high speed international data roaming for no apparent reason, so I’m not too upset by this minor speed bump of account features. There are only a handful of countries where I DON’T have free data service. I’m on a trip right now, and have free data roaming in the 7 countries on 3 continents we are visiting.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve had a personal cell phone since 1995, and have never broken one, so the credit card coverage is not too important to me. Also, my limited research indicates many cards coverage is limited to a $650 cap, regardless of the phone cost. My iPhone 14 Pro Max lists for $1,199 with 256Gb memory.

I have added a no overdraft debit card to a checking account I use at a credit union for small payments. It limits my liability to the amount on deposit, and I can make deposits via phone transfer. I will maintain my $40 a month auto pay credit this way with little fuss & bother.

Last summer T-Mobile gifted the 12 lines on my account with the free 5Gb high speed international data roaming for no apparent reason, so I’m not too upset by this minor speed bump of account features. There are only a handful of countries where I DON’T have free data service. I’m on a trip right now, and have free data roaming in the 7 countries on 3 continents we are visiting.
Did you get 12 free lines in one summer? ​​​​​​
Old May 26, 2023, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Did you get 12 free lines in one summer? ​​​​​​
LOL, in my dreams!

Let me clarify, I have 12 lines total, 8 paid, 4 free, $116.50 per month. 12 voice lines is the maximum allowed on personal accounts. I was in the right place at the right time for all the discounts I receive. 1 free line opening the account, 3 more added over the years.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL, in my dreams!

Let me clarify, I have 12 lines total, 8 paid, 4 free, $116.50 per month. 12 voice lines is the maximum allowed on personal accounts. I was in the right place at the right time for all the discounts I receive. 1 free line opening the account, 3 more added over the years.
Are all of your lines Magenta Max? If not, do they all have free in-flight WiFi? My understanding is that my other Magenta Max lines all have unlimited free in-flight WiFi.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:15 am

I am on a ONE plan, and the account specifies 4 flights per year of unlimited airline WiFi. I have heard that the 4 flight limit is not enforced but even if it is, I can just use a spare free line if necessary. The reason my account gets some upgrade perks is due to a “ONE Plus Promo” add on. I get 10 Gb high speed hot spot from this too.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am on a ONE plan, and the account specifies 4 flights per year of unlimited airline WiFi. I have heard that the 4 flight limit is not enforced but even if it is, I can just use a spare free line if necessary. The reason my account gets some upgrade perks is due to a “ONE Plus Promo” add on. I get 10 Gb high speed hot spot from this too.
TMO is now enforcing the limits. It just started recently. That's why I upgraded to Magenta Max to get unlimited.

It's per account? I thought it was per line?
Old May 26, 2023, 5:45 am

It is per line from all I have read on line. How did you hear about the 4 flight limit? I have seen several comments on Reddit recently about it not being enforced.
Old May 26, 2023, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is per line from all I have read on line. How did you hear about the 4 flight limit? I have seen several comments on Reddit recently about it not being enforced.
Someone posted a screenshot from the UA forum. It wasn't enforced the last time I flew with UA and DL, but this was early spring.
Old May 26, 2023, 7:41 am

back to the autopay issue.. It still worked for me in May and this snippet is from my account as of 5 minutes ago. - "AutoPay scheduled for Jun 18, 2023 from ..."
Old May 27, 2023, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by galeaoguy
back to the autopay issue.. It still worked for me in May and this snippet is from my account as of 5 minutes ago. - "AutoPay scheduled for Jun 18, 2023 from ..."
Yep, my payment posted yesterday and I received the autopay discount this month. Not sure what is going on...

Regards
Xyzzy and galeaoguy like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Yep, my payment posted yesterday and I received the autopay discount this month. Not sure what is going on...

Regards
Same here, still on credit card autopay, and still getting the discount. It also seems like the switch to debit card warning is gone from my account. Maybe enough people switched, and they changed their mind to enforce it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.