Reload this Page >

EU considers allowing 5G phone use in flight

Old Nov 28, 2022, 2:56 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

And now, if this ehem, takes flight, airplane mode will become a euphemism for air rage mode.

n.b. I remember years ago on a non-EU flight -- TK from HKG to IST -- the prick seated in the aft row in J class was having a chat during descent.

It's bad enough being on terra firma.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Hell on wings...
cad-spe and TGarza like this.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 7:19 am

This really makes me wonder what benefit they might perceive to endorse this. I do not see any benefit for the airlines, and it would seem the technology would limit the connections to the few minutes on departure and arrival when a signal was serviceable. Most passengers can/will wait until the plane is on the taxiway for calling.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
And now, if this ehem, takes flight, airplane mode will become a euphemism for air rage mode.

n.b. I remember years ago on a non-EU flight -- TK from HKG to IST -- the prick seated in the aft row in J class was having a chat during descent.

It's bad enough being on terra firma.
Minutes of your life, spent in agony!
Old Nov 30, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Originally Posted by draver
This really makes me wonder what benefit they might perceive to endorse this. I do not see any benefit for the airlines, and it would seem the technology would limit the connections to the few minutes on departure and arrival when a signal was serviceable. Most passengers can/will wait until the plane is on the taxiway for calling.
The benefit is that this will allow airlines to install 5G receivers on the aircraft, which they can then charge passengers to access.

I am not seeing any confirmation that these plans will remove the requirement for airplane mode during takeoff and landing.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by dkeng
The benefit is that this will allow airlines to install 5G receivers on the aircraft, which they can then charge passengers to access.

I am not seeing any confirmation that these plans will remove the requirement for airplane mode during takeoff and landing.
That's possible I suppose. I think many of us remember the old phone handsets in headrests back in the day. I have made a few test calls over on board WiFi just to see if it worked. (It Did)

Just what we need, another Profit Center for the airlines to promote and try and sell us. It's bad enough that the cruise lines charge $6 a minute if you get an incoming call you don't answer over their service. The airlines are probably jealous of that easy money. Maybe they'll build it into the "Passenger Contract" that you could have charges if you are not in Airplane Mode and receive or make a call or text.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.