FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Air Tags and Smart Tags in luggage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/2100021-air-tags-smart-tags-luggage.html)

rjack22 Nov 5, 2022 2:22 pm

Air Tags and Smart Tags in luggage?

Are Air Tags (Apple) and Smart Tags (Samsung) allowed in your checked luggage because I thought batteries needed to be in carry on luggage. Yet I hear lots of people saying they use them all the time in their checked luggage.

Secondly, how well do these work for checking where your luggage is or was last "seen".

kthomas Nov 5, 2022 3:51 pm

Lufthansa: maybe, maybe not. Don't Ask Don't Tell.

Every other airline in das Welt: wirklich kein Problem mec.

kthomas Nov 5, 2022 3:52 pm

P.S. they connect to nearby Apple devices that have a data connection, via Bluetooth, and the devices with data connections forward the tag location to a central server. Alas, Apple-being-Apple provides no location history (unless you're running a logging server, which I am).

If only there were an open source protocol for this ...

TGarza Nov 5, 2022 4:10 pm

FAA says any battery less than .3 grams of lithium is okay in checked luggage.

Engadget article with the specifics

jerryss Nov 5, 2022 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by rjack22 (Post 34735434)
Are Air Tags (Apple) and Smart Tags (Samsung) allowed in your checked luggage because I thought batteries needed to be in carry on luggage. Yet I hear lots of people saying they use them all the time in their checked luggage.

Secondly, how well do these work for checking where your luggage is or was last "seen".

yes, allowed and yes they work. I do it all the time

danielflyer Nov 6, 2022 4:06 am

I put an AirTag in my bag for my JFK - LHR - BER trip yesterday and it was a lifesaver. Rather than wait for my bag to arrive, I could see on landing that my bag was still in London and go straight to the lost baggage desk. I showed my AirTag tracking to the agent she and gave me a claim form without batting an eye.

It was very nice not to have to wait for my bag and then wait in line to make a claim after the long journey.

GUWonder Nov 6, 2022 4:57 am

Airlines which have a complimentary in-flight Wi-Fi offering for at least some of its travelers may have more frequent AirTag location updates on average than airlines that don’t.

That said, I’ve seen AirTag locations register mid-ocean while on a bunch of airlines with in-air Wi-Fi connectivity .

mcgahat Nov 6, 2022 6:15 am

For the TSA, here is the reference I used to determine if it was ok or not. https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/..._batteries.pdf I was not able to find a more updated version so I am "assuming" that is up to date. Since the AirTag device uses a button style battery, appears ok on that front.

I have actually had very good experience with them in my luggage. During a recent lost luggage situation, I was able to watch it fly around the US. Also watched it sit in Phoenix and not move for 3 days......... It is pretty cool but you have to love Apple piggy backing peoples phone and not event knowing it.

rjack22 Nov 6, 2022 6:32 am

It works the same way with the Samsung Smart Tag. I think I am going to try them for my next flight in Feb. Thanks everyone! If anyone has any stories about them please share!

TGarza Nov 6, 2022 7:30 am

Originally Posted by rjack22 (Post 34736656)
It works the same way with the Samsung Smart Tag. I think I am going to try them for my next flight in Feb. Thanks everyone! If anyone has any stories about them please share!

Besides your ability to track luggage, there are several theft related arrests and property recovery.

This is not luggage related but my wife’s coworker recovered a stolen car which had an AirTag. This recovery was not published in a news story.

AirTag resulted in luggage theft charges for an airport employee.

vsadda Nov 6, 2022 12:39 pm

I used Samsung smart tags on my trip to Australia in October. They proved to be very useful. On the JFK-FRA-SIN-CNS leg, SQ left behind one of my bags at JFK. At CNS, when SQ didn't have an answer, I could tell them exactly where my bag was, thanks to the smart tag.

FLYMSY Nov 7, 2022 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by kthomas (Post 34735589)
Lufthansa: maybe, maybe not. Don't Ask Don't Tell.

No problem with using them on Lufthansa. Issue was resolved weeks ago.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/10/13/lufthansa-airtags/

kthomas Nov 9, 2022 2:56 am

Originally Posted by rjack22 (Post 34736656)

Do the Samsung tags have anything like the reporting density offered by Apple? Other non-Apple tags (Tile) appear to take days to generate location due to lack of a developed ecosystem.

Also: only works with Galaxy phones. Okay; true fail; illegal bundling *and* not enough phones using the software to detect the devices.

vsadda Nov 9, 2022 7:06 am

Originally Posted by kthomas (Post 34744503)
Do the Samsung tags have anything like the reporting density offered by Apple? Other non-Apple tags (Tile) appear to take days to generate location due to lack of a developed ecosystem.

That is a hard question to answer. All I can say is that, my Samsungs tags were spotted by many devices at every point of baggage transfer on my Australia trip.

HDQDD Nov 10, 2022 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by kthomas (Post 34735592)
P.S. they connect to nearby Apple devices that have a data connection, via Bluetooth, and the devices with data connections forward the tag location to a central server. Alas, Apple-being-Apple provides no location history (unless you're running a logging server, which I am).

If only there were an open source protocol for this ...

I'd be very interested to know more about this! I've seen some stuff online, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus best way to do this.