Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Staying in touch while in the us , burner for calls, xiaomi for life

Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:17 am
Original Poster

So my Xioami phone may not be supported in the US. I will be in 5 US metro areas, plus London for a day, and I typically live my life on my mobile.

my telecom company (golan, in Israel) cannot confirm which companies they partner with, so I can't check from here. am I foolish to think MAYBE I will have some coverage? i assume I can use my phone with wifi and get a burner if I need to make calls.

otherwise to have all the access i would like, I need to buy a new mobile, which seems unnecessary, but is there any other way I should be thinking about this?
thanks!!
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:53 am

Check if the IMEI is approved by Mint Mobile for prepaid service in the US. Mint uses T Mobile which hasnt been as strict with whitelists.
haniboo likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:09 am

Xioami phones work just fine in the US. Lots of people buy them oversea to use them in the US. Xioami does not support it in the US because they don't sell it in the US. The question really is if your carrier has roaming partners in the places your are going here in the US. If not, like TGarza said, just go to Mint Mobile or T-Mobile to get a prepaid sim.
TGarza and haniboo like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
Xioami phones work just fine in the US. Lots of people buy them oversea to use them in the US. Xioami does not support it in the US because they don't sell it in the US. The question really is if your carrier has roaming partners in the places your are going here in the US. If not, like TGarza said, just go to Mint Mobile or T-Mobile to get a prepaid sim.
Well, and if the phone supports the LTE frequency bands that the US roaming carrier uses.
jerry a. laska and haniboo like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

i have found this in the specs:

Network bands:2G: GSM: 850 900 1800 1900MHz 3G: WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8 4G: FDD-LTE: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/20/28 4G: TDD-LTE: B38/40/41 (2535-2655MHz). so does this seem like it will work?
Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by haniboo
Thanks for the replies.

i have found this in the specs:

Network bands:2G: GSM: 850 900 1800 1900MHz 3G: WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8 4G: FDD-LTE: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/20/28 4G: TDD-LTE: B38/40/41 (2535-2655MHz). so does this seem like it will work?
Your phone will work fine in the US. I used my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on AT&T for a few years, until early this year when AT&T started to limit their sim cards to only work in their "white list" of devices. However, I my MTN Nigeria sim card is now in it, and it works fine here in in the US on Tmobile and AT&T.
haniboo likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mrcamp
Your phone will work fine in the US. I used my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on AT&T for a few years, until early this year when AT&T started to limit their sim cards to only work in their "white list" of devices. However, I my MTN Nigeria sim card is now in it, and it works fine here in in the US on Tmobile and AT&T.
You have one of the few Xiaomi phones that covers a reasonable number of the LTE bands used in the US, in particular bands 2, 4, 5 (all carriers), band 12 (AT&T and T-Mobile), band 13 (Verizon) and band 17 (AT&T). You're still missing a few key bands like 66 (Verizon) and 71 (T-Mobile), but yes, this phone will get reasonable coverage in most of the US.

The OP's phone, as per my response in the other thread he started, does not have bands 12, 13, 17, 66 or 71, so will not work anywhere near as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.